Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!! so i have a 2014 nissan versa sv 1.6 with CVT transmission. today i was getting ready to drive away from the curb when i put my car from park into drive, and the car started rolling even though my foot was still on the brake? should i be worried about this? the street i was on was on a slight hill, but nothing too steep, it was pretty flat. also, i’ve noticed if i’m in a parking lot and i put my car into drive, it will sometimes roll backwards. is it something with my CVT? Brakes? anything i should be worried about? thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Are you sure you were still on the brakes? I'm assuming it slowed down when you pushed them while driving?

If your car is running and you are pushing the brake pedal, it should not roll at all from a stop. Get that checked asap. If it can't stop it from rolling it can't stop it while it's moving.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
This sounds like an issue with the brakes and needs to be checked out yesterday. Do not put off having this checked out it could be fatal to you or someone else. Start by checking the brake fluid level in the master cylinder under the hood. If the fluid is low fill it then bleed the brakes or have them bled by someone who knows how because if the fluid gets low enough you'll get air in the brake system which can adversely effect your brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you were still on the brakes? I'm assuming it slowed down when you pushed them while driving?

If your car is running and you are pushing the brake pedal, it should not roll at all from a stop. Get that checked asap. If it can't stop it from rolling it can't stop it while it's moving.

Yes, the brakes function normally when i drive around and have to come to a full stop etc, i’ve just noticed rolling forwards/backwards when switching from park to drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i also forgot to mention is odd my brakes are doing this because nissan put on new brakes and everything when i got the car in september?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
69 Posts
Yes, the brakes function normally when i drive around and have to come to a full stop etc, i’ve just noticed rolling forwards/backwards when switching from park to drive.
Is your foot pressing firmly on the brake pedal when you shift from Park to Drive??

Are your brakes firm?? Not spongy nor soft?? Is the brake pedal hitting the floor or close to the floor when you fully apply your brakes??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is your foot pressing firmly on the brake pedal when you shift from Park to Drive??

Are your brakes firm?? Not spongy nor soft?? Is the brake pedal hitting the floor or close to the floor when you fully apply your brakes??
I would say yes my foot is pressing firmly on the pedal when shifting. Yes my brakes are firm, no the brake pedal isn’t close to hitting the floor when i fully apply my brakes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just drove my car to school and my brakes seem fine? I’m really not sure what’s up haha

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say yes my foot is pressing firmly on the pedal when shifting. Yes my brakes are firm, no the brake pedal isn’t close to hitting the floor when i fully apply my brakes
The vehicle shouldn't move no matter what gear you are in or switching to if the brakes are fully applied.

Are you pressing on the gas pedal at the same time you are fully applying the brakes. (I know some people drive automatics left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas)

Is the brake fluid low?? Are you adding brake fluid on a regular basis?? Do you know if the dealership bled your brakes after working on them?? Did they just change the pads or did they change a caliber (front) or wheel cylinder(rear) on the vehicle??

Similar to (2016 Versa), I'm thinking there is air in the brake lines or air in the ABS system. Some vehicles need a go through an ABS re-learn procedure to reset the ABS system after work has been done on the calibers or wheel cylinders. I'm not sure if the Versa is one of those vehicles, perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the ABS system will chime in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nothing special when bleeding these brakes with the abs system. If there was air in there the pedal would feel terrible, soft.

Possible user error? Probably worth having it looked at anyway just in case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nothing special when bleeding these brakes with the abs system.
OK.. thanks. I know some GM products require an ABS re-learn procedure (after bleeding), I wasn't sure about Nissan's ABS module, etc.

I was thinking if the original poster would apply his parking brake and try shifting (park to drive) and see if the vehicle still rolls? The parking brake is a mechanical cable and would be a completely different braking system to the hydraulic system. So if the problem was with the hydraulic system, the car would not roll forward with the parking brake applied when he shifts from park to drive. (provided the parking brake cable is properly adjusted and the rear brakes were properly installed at the dealer when serviced)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing special when bleeding these brakes with the abs system. If there was air in there the pedal would feel terrible, soft.

Possible user error? Probably worth having it looked at anyway just in case.

Definitely could be user error haha, but ill get them checked out! When i switch from park to brake i tend to not push the brake down all the time haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts