Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I was hoping someone can help me pin point the problem with my gf's car. I noticed it first hand yesterday, sometimes it starts right up no problem at all. Sometimes it doesnt. I was thinking it has to do something with the fuel.. or starter. the car has 83k miles and its past due on an oil change... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
How does it not start? If it doesn't crank then it's the starter. If it cranks but doesn't start or cranks a long time before it starts then it's the fuel pressure regulator. There is a tsb on it and plenty of info on the net.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well sometimes it starts after the first turn of the key

Sometimes it just keeps cranking but no start...when this happens I usually just wait and try again... To me it sounds fuel related, anyone have a link to the TSB? Or how I can check if it's the fuel regulator?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
When my fuel pressure regulator went 2000km ago, battery and starter would crank all day, but had to [inconsistently] pump the gas to make it start. If it is the FPR, get it diagnosed and replaced ASAP before it dies altogether. You do NOT have to replace the fuel pump, to which it is attached:)Hope it helps 08v

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the dealer cover this repair, even if I'm outta warranty? If not any idea on cost of parts and if I can do it myself?

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Will the dealer cover this repair, even if I'm outta warranty? If not any idea on cost of parts and if I can do it myself?
I honestly don't know, mine was done under warranty.

08V just had his done; hopefully he can let you know that answer as I know he is past his warranty.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I honestly don't know, mine was done under warranty. 08V just had his done; hopefully he can let you know that answer as I know he is past his warranty.
Yup out of warranty. $46 for the FPR, one hour labour to replace. Need to access fuel tank under rear seat. I probably could've done it myself, but not worth it for only an hour labour at local independent mechanic.
Sorry slow to answer, watching Auction Hunters on Spike with my son:thumb2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats not bad less than $50 for the repair... i'd like to do it myself if i could find the part somewhere autozone dont have it...

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
That is going to be a dealer only part. If there is a rubber o-ring on the opening to the gas tank I suggest you replace that too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well sometimes it starts after the first turn of the key

Sometimes it just keeps cranking but no start...when this happens I usually just wait and try again... To me it sounds fuel related, anyone have a link to the TSB? Or how I can check if it's the fuel regulator?
does it sound realy slow and week when it cranks may be the batery

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, my gf thought it was the battery too but i would know a battery going out from experience. Its most likely fuel related

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I called the local dealer just now and they said they would have to replace the fuel pump entirely bcuz they don't have just the fpr wtf! Can anyone tell me where they got their fpr from?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Got my mechanic to order it from Nissan dealer. Mech said "no i don't need whole fuel pump". He was aware of Nissan TSB, but sorry i don't know what the tsb# is. He said Nissan had the fprs in stock. Keep phoning around Nissan dealers. I assume it can even be shipped to you relatively cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So i'm guessing the fuel pump or fpr finally gave out??? On Monday my gf was driving down the highway when the car suddenly would not accelerate anymore... she decided to pull over and shut the car off. after a few minutes, and calling me, she tried to start the car again to no avail.... long story short, car was towed, AAA said it's the alternator. I replaced the battery before i touched the alternator because it was bad and now the car wont start at all.... any ideas what this could be? Car does crank fine but no start which leads me to beleive its a fuel problem... thanks in advance for any help!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts