Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I have a 2010 Versa Sedan and it seems the gods hate me because according to my mechanic and the codes that my engine is throwing, my catalytic converter has gone bad.

Now this is where the question comes in. My mechanic has quoted me almost 1.2K to do the entire job of replacing the part. Considering that 1.2 is about 1/3 of what I have left to pay on the car itself, you can imagine I really, REALLY dont want to have to pay that amount of money.

Is there anyway I can replace the part myself with only the tools a pretty basic home would have available? In other words, is this part a relatively easy "plug and play" part or is there much more to this process than I would be able to do on my own?

Any thought and comments would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
1.6 or 1.8? Looks like the part rockauto carries is under 300 bucks.

Exhaust work is going to be difficult. Its hot rusty metal. Expect to get dirty, expect to have to beat, bang, pull, twist, fight and lots of swearing. Expect nothing to fit right, expect all hardware to snap as soon as you put a wrench to it and plan on after you remove the offending crap driving or having your car towed to a muffler shop to reinstall what was there. >:D

My father had more patience then I do. Of course most of his experience doing exhaust work himself involves holding a hack saw blade wrapped with a rag as he cuts out the old parts. :surprise

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey Guys!

I have a 2010 Versa Sedan and it seems the gods hate me because according to my mechanic and the codes that my engine is throwing, my catalytic converter has gone bad.

Now this is where the question comes in. My mechanic has quoted me almost 1.2K to do the entire job of replacing the part. Considering that 1.2 is about 1/3 of what I have left to pay on the car itself, you can imagine I really, REALLY dont want to have to pay that amount of money.

Is there anyway I can replace the part myself with only the tools a pretty basic home would have available? In other words, is this part a relatively easy "plug and play" part or is there much more to this process than I would be able to do on my own?

Any thought and comments would be appreciated!
The prior poster Cobb hit the nail on the head. Nothing complicated about getting the parts you need, but getting the old stuff out without screwing up the flanges, hangers and other rusted on parts can be a challenge. If you do decide to do the job yourself, make sure you wear goggles at all times when you are under the car. The last thing you need to do is get a piece of rust in your eye. Good luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
and if you are under the car make sure you use ramps or jack stands and wheel chocks as you dont want to wrestle the pipes apart and end up wrestling your car off the jack.

Youtube is full of videos so even if its another make and model you get an idea what you are in for.

When I was a Chrysler mechanic we use to use 1/2 drive tools and a 3ft breaker bar to brake all hardware and remove the exhaust. We use a die grinder with a cut off wheel for other stuff. Then we drove the car down the street to some no name muffler shop and they installed the new one. >:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply! Shortly after this I went and tracked the VIN to determine it was a 1.8L S. The part is cheap indeed compared to the entire quotes job, Im just hoping that I don't have to have it towed to the shop at all. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Really should post codes.................it'd be damn silly/sad if something else was wrong with it and mech was upcharging for no reason. Since our good Mr. TruXX got in office it has become much more acceptable to lie to the public all day long while keeping a straight face. Car mileage helpful too as well as any engine running issues.

X2 on the rust in eye thing. I've had steel cut out of my eyes some 3 times, it's no fun I can tell you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing