Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm a first time Versa owner. What is the best way to perform oil change at home?

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is what I've been told works
1. Run your car for a little bit to heat up the oil, this makes it drain out quicker.
2. Get a plastic oil catcher or a large bucket and put it under where the oil will come out.
3. Open up where you would add the oil, then go under the car and unscrew the bolt and be careful because the oil can burn you.
4. Wait until the oil has finished draining and put the bolt back in.
5. Fill her up
If you're going to redo the filter as well make sure to oil up the part that goes on.
Like I said this is what I've been told, anyone feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can take it to any oil changing place and they can properly dispose of it for you, or if you have a college nearby with an automotive program they can do it as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
When you take your old oil filter off check it to make sure that the gasket came off with it. Sometimes they stick and don't come off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
- Some people either let the vehicle sit overnight and then change the oil or warm it up and then change the oil.

- Drive the vehicle on ramps or place the vehicle on jack stands at the appropriate lift points.

- Open oil cap

- Place container under vehicle to catch oil. Remember it'll shoot out quite a ways at first. I have a big oil container that also has a spout to drain it easily.

- Once oil stops coming out wipe the drain plug off and the oil pan that mates surfaces with the plug. Check gasket on drain plug. *Do NOT overtighten

- Remove oil filter. Make sure oil filter gasket is still attatched to oil filter.

- Wipe surface where the oil filter gasket attaches to engine block with clean rag/towel

- Dip finger in clean oil and wipe a even layer of oil on the new oil filter gasket

- Put on new oil filter according to directions

- Put oil in, close oil lid, start car, let run, and check for leaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay,

I got all that, wont ramps keep the oil from draining properly? The manual say that the car must be on level ground. I've owned 6 Subaru's in a row and there was always enough ground clearance to easily slide under the vehicle. Not so much here.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Hmmm I've never ever changed oil in a level car. Always on ramps or jack w stands.

On the side, I'm diggin the 2012/13 Impreza wagon with new 2.0L FB. U like?
Problem is, as soon as i get one, they'll bring over the diesel(&(%^(&*)&%!& that i want lol

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The little plug is towards the back of the oil pan anyways so even if you lift the front that would even help the dirty oil flow in the right direction. If in doubt, lower the front with the oil catch container still under the car and see if anything was left over. Hope I was been clear enough, I think even I confused myself lmao.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What do you do with the waste oil?
In the US, any wamart will take the used motor oil even if you did not purchase it at the store. On a side note, I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5/30 and they seem to be the cheapest in my area. Not promoting them at all. Maybe someone can offer some alternative places to purchase the Mobil 1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts