Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check Engine P285A HELP!!

My check engine light recently came on in my 2012 Versa with 94,000 miles and after running the diagnostic test the code came back as P285A. I tried googling the code but still have no clue what this means.
I towed my car to the dealership thinking they would be able to help but they ended up telling me that i have an after market radiator which is missing a hose? WTF??? I've been the sole owner of this car, purchased it brand new off the lot with 51 miles on her and have NEVER replaced/touched my radiator so this is impossible. After I explained this the service guy he hung up to "get more clarification" and then told me they took her for a test drive and "the tranny is slipping" so i'll need a new one which costs nearly $5,000!
It was never giving me problems and at 50,000 miles i had a transmission flush done(at the dealership) and I've always taken great care of my car.
I'm 8 months pregnant and know more about cars than the average girl so i'm positive they saw me as a dollar sign. All i want to know is whats wrong?? Someone honest and intelligent please help me!???

·
Registered
255 Posts
Any possibility to drive her to another dealership? Or because the warranty is already over, just to another shop (with a good reputation).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the extra funds for a second opinion. Which is kinda why i was coming on here.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My check engine light recently came on in my 2012 Versa with 94,000 miles and after running the diagnostic test the code came back as P285A. I tried googling the code but still have no clue what this means.
I towed my car to the dealership thinking they would be able to help but they ended up telling me that i have an after market radiator which is missing a hose? WTF??? I've been the sole owner of this car, purchased it brand new off the lot with 51 miles on her and have NEVER replaced/touched my radiator so this is impossible. After I explained this the service guy he hung up to "get more clarification" and then told me they took her for a test drive and "the tranny is slipping" so i'll need a new one which costs nearly $5,000!
It was never giving me problems and at 50,000 miles i had a transmission flush done(at the dealership) and I've always taken great care of my car.
I'm 8 months pregnant and know more about cars than the average girl so i'm positive they saw me as a dollar sign. All i want to know is whats wrong?? Someone honest and intelligent please help me!???
This comes from the Nissan Service manual. The code itself points to a problem with the CVT transmission regarding one of the pressure control components. I have the same year model, and my CVT transmission was replaced under warranty with a brand new transmission. When they did the diagnostic test, they knew exactly what part was failing and called Nissan to authorize the repair. Nissan informed the dealer to replace the entire transmission rather than just repairing the defective part. Apparently Nissan would rather replace the entire transmission unit rather than repair the broken part. You might try an independent transmission shop that specializes in CVT transmissions to see if they would be able to help you with this issue. I wish I had better news for you and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

P285A CLUTCH B PRESSURE
DTC Logic INFOID:0000000012431159
DTC DETECTION LOGIC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i had a family friend who went to school for transmission repairs give me a second opinion and he thinks its a solenoid valve. He also said that it pulled a P code which basically means a general code that will turn on and off because it's not super serious. If it were a transmission problem that needed a complete replacement it would pull an E code and basically not be functioning. |
So the 4,000 dollar problem is really only a couple hundred bucks. What a relief. I'm still taking it to a shop for the repair and demanding a refund from the dealership. I will update this feed with the outcome so maybe it helps someone in the future!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes i had a family friend who went to school for transmission repairs give me a second opinion and he thinks its a solenoid valve. He also said that it pulled a P code which basically means a general code that will turn on and off because it's not super serious. If it were a transmission problem that needed a complete replacement it would pull an E code and basically not be functioning. |
So the 4,000 dollar problem is really only a couple hundred bucks. What a relief. I'm still taking it to a shop for the repair and demanding a refund from the dealership. I will update this feed with the outcome so maybe it helps someone in the future!

Thanks for the help!
Your welcome, and an update would definitely be of help to someone else who may have the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
pimperell
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing