Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the codes P0300 and P03001. I changed all the ignition coils and all of the spark plugs. I checked the coolant and oil. I chained my air filter and my thermostat. The check engine light went away came back blinked for a few and went away again and came back on. I took it back to mechanic and he said nothing is wrong with it and he isn’t to sure why I got the same codes and the light came back on for. Any suggestions? The light stays on and only blinks when I drive fast.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A lot of things can cause a random misfire. Contaminated fuel, failing fuel pump, MAF or MAP sensor, vauum leak, etc. If you used cheap aftermarket ignition coils, it's not uncommon for those to be junk right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Misfire codes are usually ignition caused but a bad vacuum leak if on the intake only on one runner can affect to make them sometimes. Ethanol in fuel can easily do it when you get some exposed to water.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any mechanic that told me nothing is wrong when there's a blinking CEL would never get anymore of my business. Blinking CEL means the problem is severe and can cause significant damage. Misfires are like allowing to much raw gas to enter the catalytic converter and can ruin it. I've never checked cat prices on the Versa but some cars they're over $1000 plus installation labor. That doesn't sound like nothing to me.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It's not, it really doesn't take a whole lot of misfire to turn a cat that can normally last for 250K miles into junk quick, 10% misfire at 5 minutes is enough to do it. The cat quickly goes from 2500 degrees to way over that and how they melt inside. They are made to not have to be burning much at all, only the last residues of HC.

Just running out of gas can do it, the initial effort to get gas back to fuel pump and engine has it running rich for a few seconds until things even out. Why all owner manuals now tell you now to never run car out of gas, it can damage the cat doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts