Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Nissan Versa, with over 130k. My check engine light came today and after a diagnostic check at the local parts store it was recommended that I replace the spark plugs. I did so and the light is still on. Any thoughts? I read an old post and some recommend checking the fuel cap. I just filled up 2 days ago. Could a loose cap cause the light to go on a view days after filling up? I haven’t check the cap yet, it’s almost midnight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a 2012 Nissan Versa, with over 130k. My check engine light came today and after a diagnostic check at the local parts store it was recommended that I replace the spark plugs. I did so and the light is still on. Any thoughts? I read an old post and some recommend checking the fuel cap. I just filled up 2 days ago. Could a loose cap cause the light to go on a view days after filling up? I haven’t check the cap yet, it’s almost midnight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you clear the code after making the repair?? If not, you can take any one of the major auto parts stores and have them read and clear the code for free. As far as a lose cap causing a code it is possible and is an easy fix.!!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it was a loose gas cap, it would throw a different unrelated code to the spark plugs.
If it actually was the plugs, the code should clear after a few days,or however many pass/fail tests required to go to history, if not cleared by a scan tool.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Why have we wasted this much time when OP won't even get the exact code to prevent all this silly meandering?

I've said it a thousand times.............they put a computer on the car to tell you what exactly is wrong with it and we stay as dumb as possible about that.

Get the exact code or any 'thoughts' are worthless.

I refuse to try to understand why people screw themselves to waste hard-earned money doing this; it makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, if the OP wants to believe he has one of the worst and most expensive codes to fix, "Evap Leak, Small", then so be it.
Every time that code came up on a car I had, I either ended up selling or junking the car, as I would not spend the thousands required for either diagnosis, or replacement of the entire
evaporative emissions system. It gets very expensive very quick to find a pinhole leak, or smaller.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can also build a smoke tester for peanuts as well, mine cost maybe $20 in parts. Evap leaks are not hard to find if one gives devoted thought to them. One has to realize that all you have to do is seal the whole thing up to pressure test it and although it may take a bit it is certainly doable. No rocket science there at all. I have never not found the leak on my cars and often the fix is less than $10.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They were car killers for me. I really didn't want to drop fuel tanks to plug / inspect those lines.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, stuff like that is brutal for me having to roll around on the ground. I don't have access to a lift.

I just 'undercoated' my Ram with Woolwax last week. Took me a few hours. I was sore the next day. LOL.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have never had a lift (I don't even have a concrete floor, I do it in the dirt), one just does what they have to do to make money out of the car they already have. Getting another over that is always a money loser. I'm 66 now and it hurts me too but they don't fix themselves........

·
Registered
135 Posts
I knew I did really good when I sent one of them to the junkyard and made a profit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts