Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Keith, You have a good point there. I had considered Denso before Bosch and NGK. Perhaps I should have gone with my first impression! Thanks! MrA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: After being told yet again by my closest Nissan dealer to let them install yet another oxygen sensor, I took my show on the road to the dealer I bought the car from in 2012.

A little farther away, but I wanted a second opinion.

I dropped it off and later that afternoon they diagnosed the problem as a bad air fuel ratio sensor, supposedly on the back of the engine somewhere. I told them to go ahead and replace it, and when I picked it up, the Check Engine Light was off....and has STAYED off, the engine idles the way it is supposed to, and the4 milage shot back up to where it was supposed to be.

Thanks to all who helped, and I thought I would take a moment to come back and pass on what was discovered in case someone else runs into this problem.

Thanks! MrA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
True, but this is not one of the ones I had previously had replaced at my garage or that our closest dealer keep wanting to replace over and over. Different serial numbers, even MORE expensive (as if they weren't expensive enough!) and harder to get to. I'm not a technician or a mechanic obviously, that's why I originally asked the good folks on this forum for their wisdom. These cars seem to have more "sensors" than you can shake a stick at. (It's a shame they don't have one to detect Corona virus in the area!) But the bottom line is that it the "in your face" light is off, and the car is back to running smoothly and dependably again. Plus I know the correct dealership to take it to if this problem ever rears its ugly head again. If i have to, I'll come out of retirement to pay for it to be done right by a dealer whose technicians know what they are doing, instead of the other dealer's approach of throwing expensive parts at it, hoping the problem will go away. I've learned that trying to save some money in CERTAIN situations, when I have only enough personal knowledge to be dangerous, is not the right way for me to go in the future. Thanks again folks! MrA

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
They call them different names to differentiate parts in the parts books. Nissan engines that use two stats do the same and it's curious how they call the lower one the thermostat and the higher one the water control valve when the actual names should be switched, as they would more closely match the actual functions there.

If they are calling O2 sensor 2 the A/F one that's screwed too as sensor ONE is the true A/F sensor there. The lower number 2 is for cat condition only.

On thinking it more they would have HAD to change sensor 1 as you report better mileage, sensor 2 generally does not do that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts