Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I started my Nissan Versa SL 08 a few days ago and noticed the check engine light was on. I went to an auto zone for the free diagnostic, and it was throwing the code P1421.

It turns out there is a service bulletin for this, with the possible causes listed as follows:

• Lack of intake air volume (block air filter)
  • Fuel injection system (Clogged fuel injector or bad fuel pump)
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

I am not experiencing any "drivability" or starting problems, so I assume the ECM is faulty. Of course, I don't want to pay ~$100 bucks for the dealer to reprogram the ECM, so I tried resetting it. I disconnected the battery, and it was a no-go. Then I tried the pedal trick (key in, wait 3 seconds, press accelerator five times, wait 7 seconds, hold accelerator for 10 seconds), and the light still came on.

After that, I tried replacing the engine air filter and resetting the ECU using the pedal sequence. Initially, that seemed to work--the check engine light was no longer on. I drove for maybe 30 miles, and the check engine light would come on for a second and shut off again. I parked the car for maybe 10 minutes, and on start-up, the light came back on and did not shut off. I have gone about 60 miles with the new air filter and don't seem to be using more fuel than usual.

Is there anything else I can try before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks!

P.S. Would this fix be covered under the 96 months/80,000 Federal Vehicle Emission Control Limited Warranty since, according to this, the ECU affects vehicle emissions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the light came on this morning and stayed on during my entire commute to work. Funnily enough, it did not come on when I started the car to head home in the evening. Here's to hoping it doesn't come back on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case anyone is interested in how I resolved the problem, I replaced the engine air filter (a few dollar and a couple minutes fix) and the light eventually went off and never came back on. I'm not sure if a dirty engine air filter was the problem, but the light hasn't come on since.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which was number 1 on your list in the first post! Congrats on the easy fix. I should really changed mine. I don't think I have done it in 60k miles. Maybe 90k:eek6:
Okay, I'm not superstitious, but sometimes I wonder...

I turn on my car today --the very day I posted what I had done and saying I had no further problems, even though the "fix" was done months ago-- and the check engine light is on. Turns out it's flashing the same code. I don't get it.

I'll have to troubleshoot it later this weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know this thread was back in 2012 but what was the resolution?
r2urbo, I never had a permanent fix.

It comes on occasionally (few times a year), generally more often when the weather is cold. For now, I just plug in my wifi OBDII device and clear the code with my phone. If I don't clear the code it will eventually go away on its own--it could take a day or it could take a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.