Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran over something a couple weeks ago in my 2018 Versa S (5 speed), and now there is a squeaking sound from the back corner going over bumps. I brought my car to a suspension shop. They did not find anything obvious, the suspension seems to be good, and no leaks from shocks. They heard the squeaking and think it is from the rear passenger side shock.

So I think to replace rear shocks, it seems to be a pretty easy task. I do not want to go overboard with shocks replacement. Just to get something decent for a smooth comfortable ride. And I certainly do not want to lower ride height. Looking online, there are many options for rear shocks. What would be a recommendation for a brand/model? And where better to get them from? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any recommendations on brand but I've found that Rock Auto usually has the best prices on whatever parts I need and shipping is usually pretty quick.
Thanks, they list FCS, Monroe OESpectrum, Gabriel Ultra, and KYB Excel-G with pretty good prices. I am considering KYB Excel-G based on some positive reviews I found on the web.

Interesting, I called a local Nissan dealership, and the parts guy quoted me the price about $116 a piece. He did not know who makes shocks for Nissan, there are two manufacturers. Then he said if you want less expensive, go to Rock Auto and get it there, Monroe or KYB. Wow, this is what I call a good service!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last weekend I replaced the rear stock shocks with KYB Excel-G. The best price was at RockAuto, CARiD was close. At that time Autozone had a promo 20% off orders over $100 until 05/21/2022, so their final price for shocks was the same as at RockAuto. So I ordered from Autozone in case I have to deal with a warranty claim, where I would have to return a shock to the store. The shocks were shipped to me directly from KYB, and made in Japan.

A few notes.

First, the shock bottom bolt supposed to be 19 mm, but the 19 mm socket felt loose more than I was comfortable with, I was afraid to round the bolt. I was using 6-pt socket, and likely it ended up well.

To get to the top bolt, additionally to removing trunk finishers, I had to remove fixed seatback and the cardboard divider (front finisher) in order to get to that bolt from the inside of the car. I could not get to the top bolt from the trunk area.

Also, the ratchet wrench 16 mm for the top bolt is a must. I had only a regular combination wrench, so I had to run to a store to get it.

The other hardware, strut mounts and boots, looked good, so I kept them and did not replace.

Overall, already driving a few days after replacement, I am pretty happy with the new shocks. The ride is notable better, and the squealing sound is gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts