Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 Nissan Versa hatchback Airbag light is blinking, I can reset it with my code reader but soon after it comes back, I think but am not positive it comes back after sharp turns such as getting into or out of parking spots. This leads me to believe it's the clockspring but a mechanic told me it is most often the airbag. My theory is that I could not reset the code and have it stay off after restarting the car. if the airbag had a problem wouldn't that refuse to stay off during self check at startup? any help appreciated. between the only noticing it after turns and the light staying off after resetting and restarting the car. I feel fairly certain it's the clockspring but I have no other clockspring issues, horn, wipers, turnsignals all still function. Ideas? Code B1 054 is what my code reader says.

Thank You

·
Registered
753 Posts
These are the main causes of the B1054 code:
Faulty Driver Air Bag
Faulty Spiral Cable (clockspring)
Driver Air Bag harness is open
Driver Air Bag circuit poor electrical connection.

I suspect it is the Spiral Cable based on your description of the problem.
Make sure you disconnect thr battery for at least 5 min before starting. Also, DO NOT USE A FLAT BLADED SCREWDRIVER TO REMOVE DRIVERS AIRBAG!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
am I correct if it is a faulty airbag that it should not pass self test on startup? As I said I always noticed the light after a tight turn into or out of a parking space but couldn't say for sure that it didn't start before. but on at least one occasion I drove at least 5 mins without it coming on after resettting. I have changed clocksprings several times in the past so understand the risks, I just have never changed one on a Nissan. I usually leave battery disconnected 1/2 hr or more (I'm paranoid of an airbag going off in my face while removing) Thank you for the screwdriver info as many suggest using a screwdriver to release the catches. That seemed a bit risky in itself since I am not very familiar with Nissans setup.

These are the main causes of the B1054 code:
Faulty Driver Air Bag
Faulty Spiral Cable (clockspring)
Driver Air Bag harness is open
Driver Air Bag circuit poor electrical connection.

I suspect it is the Spiral Cable based on your description of the problem.
Make sure you disconnect thr battery for at least 5 min before starting. Also, DO NOT USE A FLAT BLADED SCREWDRIVER TO REMOVE DRIVERS AIRBAG!!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the airbag (actually igniter) is faulty, it would be noted straight away.
For tools, anything blunt ended, like a nutdriver, or torx type tool would be best. Search around this site, there is a great how-to and other advice on steering wheel removal.
I would also highly recommend getting the service manuals from www.nicoclub.com. if you haven't done so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts