Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a 2009 nissan versa CVT hatch , clunk noise when turning right at slow speeds 5 MPH to 10 MPH ,you can feel it in the steering wheel ,happen mostly on a slight incline. please help ! anybody has same promblem or knows of solution to the problem let me know .versa also has ABS brakes. took it to the dealer could not find a promblem . is this normal with versas ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've read somewhere that it has to do with a spring or gear in the steering assembly up by the steering wheel getting dirty and not working correctly. I'm sure someone on here is more knowledgeable or has had the problem 1st hand but maybe this will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
common problem with versa's mine just started

(dont flame me) if you search on nissanversa.org (nico) there are quite a few people that have the problem pretty well documented. Ive heard getting the whole steering shaft replaced, fixes the problem. Im headed to the dealer monday morning to get mine fixed.

search is your friend

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clunk

let me know if replacing steering shaft solves the problem . can you also feel it in the steering wheel ? let me know what dealer helps you (phone number of the dealer) so that i can talk whith them also. thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
there is alot of things that can contribute to this problem. Do you know what happened before the clunking begins? Me my left wheel went in a very deep hole and i guessed it damaged the bushing and its creating a clunking noise on sharp turns... it got solved by replacing the bushings but it cannot be spotted visually you have to remove the whole assembly apart it took them 5 working days to finally found the problem :p wish i still have the receipt but i cant find it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
common problem with versa's mine just started

(dont flame me) if you search on nissanversa.org (nico) there are quite a few people that have the problem pretty well documented. Ive heard getting the whole steering shaft replaced, fixes the problem. Im headed to the dealer monday morning to get mine fixed.

search is your friend
We won't flame for getting info on the Versa over there. They have info there and have been around alot longer. But what would be better is finding documents online other then them and posting here. That way we will be the site that people say "if you search nissanversaforums.com" they have the info on this problem.

let me know if replacing steering shaft solves the problem . can you also feel it in the steering wheel ? let me know what dealer helps you (phone number of the dealer) so that i can talk whith them also. thanks
Yes people everyone always post the solution to your problems. Seen this happen too much on forums. If no solution is posted then while your car is fixed the next person to have the issue will have the same clueless feeling you had. Sometimes dealers don't explain things but if getting it fixed by them then ask for the explanation. If you are really ambitious then ask for the part number that fixed the issue. Reason being when we are all out of warranty and need to do these repairs ourselves it will be much easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry bout that rob, my clunk has come up recently and I havnt been a happy camper since.

My clunk has gotten significantly worse in the past week or two. It started only making a clunk/popping sound when turning from center, to the right. Now it has escalated to making quite a few clunking sounds when turning to the right, and also to the left from the center. These are felt through the steering column, and it almost feels like the column is moving ever so slightly.

I took it up to the dealer, they told me that since I have aftermarket springs on it, they cant do anything about it. Now they want to charge me 90$ diagnosis. As well as returning it to stock. Im at a loss as of what to do. Im going to try tightening a few bolts ontop of the struts... and if not I guess I'll return it to stock myself. I just hope that they dont hit me with ' oh you got this serviced somewhere else, warranty is void '

·
Registered
3 Posts
This steering noise problem started early.
Brought it in this week and stated how it made a klunking or snapping noise that you could feel through the steering wheel.
There are service bulletins about this problem.
Below are things they changed with part numbers.
The noise has abated after repair.

Steering noise in column when turning right.Snapping noise. 5:08 PM 4/6/2010

2009 Nissan Versa HB CVT only 4900 miles. 04-06-10
Tech replaced Both Strut Assy
Noise from steering wheel column when turning to the right.
Klunking or snaping noise.
Replaced R&L Strut a**'ys Bulletin Referance NTB08-094a
460 wn
2 54325-JE20 Bearing-ST
part #54325JE20C
Took for test ride .Still klunking.Replaced lower lower intermediate shaft.per service bulletin.
Also QA18AA-EM01A Joint Assy
FC ZL32
Part #48080EM01A Service Bulletin NTB09-0127
These were approx service numbers.
Noise is gone at the present time.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
^^ That is an awesome post. Great information, part numbers and this thread will be searched for years to come with an answer to a problem that alot of V owners might have.

·
Registered
927 Posts
versa s have you at first it sounds like a warped rotors but then its a new pads and rotors so thats not it. Hmm check your alignment i had this problem too before but so i had mine realigned and changed the pads + resurface of rotors, then the shaking of the steering wheel is gone.

if that doesnt solve it look at your threads see if its wearing out evenly :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nissan Versa front suspension CLUNKING AND KNOCKING

I have the same problem CLUNKING AND KNOCKING NOISE IN THE FRONT END (front suspension) OF THE VEHICLE AND I FELT IT IN THE STEERING WHEEL. The noise was coming from passenger side. All these issues are acting when the vehicle is driving slowly and making right turn going up on the driveway or down on the driveway. I filled a complaint to Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you have the same problem even without accident I'm going to recommend to file a complaint too.

PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE FROM YOUR TIME AND FILL OUT THIS COMPLAINT FORM.
You can find a link below:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I too have the clunk now :(. I'm already out of warranty so I'm going to live with it. The part is $150 and seems to have been revised as it now has a different part number from the original. Seems easy enough to change too.

I don't know what filing a complaint will do. There is already a TSB on it. I am doubting this escalates into a recall. Is that your reasoning for filing?

·
Registered
214 Posts
same issue with my old civic the problem was my axle joint, the rubber that connects to the wheel split and leaked the oil that let the joint turn smooth, without that oil when you turn it grinds up and clunks. idk if its the same with the versa but it maybe

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
same issue with my old civic the problem was my axle joint, the rubber that connects to the wheel split and leaked the oil that let the joint turn smooth, without that oil when you turn it grinds up and clunks. idk if its the same with the versa but it maybe
That is the usual axle click. This clunking while turning right accompanied by the feeling in the steering wheel is the intermediate shaft. It's what connects the steering column to the steering wrack.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well I dunno if this is part of it, or the begining. But when my windows down, and radios off, when driving slow I can hear this noise, it goes tik......tik......tik......tik, and the noise gets faster or slower depending on my speed, but I dont feel anything in my steering wheel. I just hear it. So its really not a problem, but I wounder if its the begining of whats happening to u guys. Im gonn a have the car for its full 3yr warrenty. So hopefully it happens while in warrenty. Around what milege do u guys notice the issue? Hopefully if its happening across the U.S. there will be a recall.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.