Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I was wondering who has upgraded to coil overs and what they have to say about them. Same with brakes. Both can reduce the weight of the car and more braking power is needed. Especially when i have the car fully loaded. Does anybody have input on these two upgrades?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
There isn't much out there in regards to brake upgrades outside of a few big brake kits but they're pretty costly. There's some drilled and slotted rotors available which I'd imagine would save some unsprung weight but it'd be marginal. As far as the performance gains from the rotors I don't think its necessary or beneficial. Besides Bob at VersaSpeed I think I'm the only other person who has regularly tracked a Versa along with several years of autocross. The brakes don't heat up enough to need the drilling and slotting to cool them.

What DID help with the brakes was switching to Hawk HP Plus pads, DOT 4 brake fluid, and stainless steel brake lines. Those things worked really well on the track. I use a regular set of street pads for daily use and autocross as the HP Plus work well once they're heated up but poorly when they're cool. I definitely wait a lap before I start pushing them on the track.

As for suspension I haven't moved to coil overs yet although I'm running aftermarket springs and shocks. One of the nice things you'd gain from coil overs is solid strut mounts which would be a huge improvement over the stock ones. I'm on my third set in less than a year. As far as I know all the coil overs available right now are geared towards street use and lowering. If you don't plan on racing any of them will work well, most seem to like whatever has ben available over the years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the info. I don't want to lower the car but if that's not an option then adjustable coil overs at the highest lift would be best. Any suggestions on coil overs with the softest ride? I'm a cruiser and family is usually with me when I'm not going to and from work.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I wouldn't be able to suggest an exact model but I'd recommend you get a set of coil overs with adjustable shocks(there's one or two sets out there that aren't) and I'm pretty sure they're all going to have similar spring rates but if you can find one that's lower that'd probably be friendlier. If you wanted reviews for exact models you'll have to dig in the forum to see what others have said about theirs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
davidshores
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing