Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 2011 Nissan Versa S Sedan with the 1.8L engine, 4 spd auto and keyed ignition. The car has power door locks and windows, but no keyless entry key fob. I checked the components and it has the keyless remote communication module behind the glove box. However, I took it to the dealer today and they cannot activate the keyless entry. They confirm that all the components are there, but they cannot get the BCM to recognize the keyless module. They suggested that someone might have swapped the BCM at some point and installed the wrong one (nothing else is wrong on the car). I looked at the BCM and it looks factory installed.
I bought the car used, so I can't tell if it ever had keyless entry or if someone switched the BCM.
Does anyone else have the same problem/features?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More info

After investigating a little further, I found that a fuse was missing in the mini-panel in front of the battery. There's a slot (10 Amp) called "Keyless 2". I put a fuse in, but I cannot activate the keyless entry programming mode yet ( by putting the ignition key in/out 10 times in 10 secs).
Is there another location called "Keyless 1"?
I don't see it in any of the other panels.
Maybe it's in the wiring harness somewhere?
Also, there's a fuse missing in a slot called "DTRL".
Any idea what that is?

·
Registered
84 Posts
After investigating a little further, I found that a fuse was missing in the mini-panel in front of the battery. There's a slot (10 Amp) called "Keyless 2". I put a fuse in, but I cannot activate the keyless entry programming mode yet ( by putting the ignition key in/out 10 times in 10 secs).
Is there another location called "Keyless 1"?
I don't see it in any of the other panels.
Maybe it's in the wiring harness somewhere?
Also, there's a fuse missing in a slot called "DTRL".
Any idea what that is?
I just checked the service manual.

DTRL = Headlamp - With Daytime Light System

Edit: I checked the manual. The BCM should be supplying the power to the remote communication module. I attached the ladder diagram for programming a key fob. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am aware of the method to activate the keyfob programming function without the "Consult III" interface.
However, this does not work in my car, because the keyless entry system is not active.
I'm trying to figure out why it's not active even though the obvious components are there.
Is it possible they used a BCM that cannot be activated unless you buy the Keyless Entry Option at purchase?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I am aware of the method to activate the keyfob programming function without the "Consult III" interface.
However, this does not work in my car, because the keyless entry system is not active.
I'm trying to figure out why it's not active even though the obvious components are there.
Is it possible they used a BCM that cannot be activated unless you buy the Keyless Entry Option at purchase?
Totally understand what you said there. I read in another part of the manual that the Nissan Dealership can actually turn on the keyless interface.

Did the Nissan dealership check this too?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm going to repost it here to spread this solution a little more

Ok, so here I have the solution (hopefully final solution) to anyone looking to add a keyfob to their versas.

First of all, this solution works IF:

1) You checked under your glovebox and you in fact have the keyless receiver (part 28595X, should be the same in all versas) and BCM (you should have this anyway...part number 284B1/2-9EG0A)
2) You can't get the car to go into programming mode, no matter how hard you try...

Your solution is go to the dealership and have them manually change the entry for the Keyless Entry in the BCM, using the CONSULT III tool. This is confirmed and you can check the specs here, at BL-68 and here at BCS-18

Your car initial configuration, BEFORE changing the entry should look like this, first row you can see the KEYLESS ENTRY is set to WITHOUT:

AFTER changing the entry using the CONSULT III tool, your configuration should look like this, first row you can see the KEYLESS ENTRY is set to WITH:

Dealership will likely charge you to hook the car up to the computer (mine was 70ish $) BUT I think it's worth it since your car is already set up to pair with a keyfob, and I would say it's better to use the OEM configuration rather than installing an aftermarket kit from China (were you pay for the kit, you may need assistance and you don't how exactly how reliable it might be).
This is my opinion only, it's up to you but I'd go always go with OEM if the car is already good for it.

After these steps are performed you are good to go and you only need to do the procedure...you know...close doors, lock it from the inside etc etc

I bought a three buttons keyfob from eBay...works like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.