Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered mine at the dealer last year (it was a Renault gear oil). The important item is to get GL-4 gear oil rather than GL-5 which may attack the soft metal on the synchronizing rings. I plan to change mine at 50K miles and I order a set of 8mm & 10mm square sockets to unscrew the drain plugs this summer or fall.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 41400 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
What would be the reason to change the tranny oil? I've owned many manual cars, never had to do anything like that.
pull out the drain plug and look at all the wonderful shiny bits of metal on the plug and in the pan.

Keeping the fluid fresh just keeps it all clean in there and your car shifting smooth. You will prevent wear and decrease the tranny whine and it's eventual demise. I think it's recommended every 60k but I def go longer with no ill effects. Usually I don't do it until I need to change an axle or clutch. That way you don't get gear oil all over the place.

Reactions: Nttra and Cobb

·
Registered
14 Posts
NOTE! The 5 speed and 6 speed manual transmission use different gear oil !
My owners manual says on page 9-2

"Manual transmission gear oil"

5-speed MT:Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75W-85 orAPI GL04, Viscosity SAE 75-85
6-speed MT:Genuine NISSAN gear oil (XT4447M+) 75W80, Genuine NISSAN gear oil (ETL8997B) 75Ww80, or equivalent *3

So 75W85 for the 5 speed and 75W85 for the 6 speed

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am not sure if non-Nissan gear oil can be used long term. In my other cars owner manuals listed only manual oil viscosity and required GL, so I could replace it with Mobil 1 or whatever synthetic oil I wanted. But for my 2017 Versa S 5-MT the owner's manual (p. 10-2) states for manual transmission gear oil:

"Genuine Nissan manual transmission fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75W-85 or equivalent. If Genuine Nissan MTF HQ Multi is not available, API GL-4, viscosity SAE 75W-85 may be used as a temporary replacement. However, use Genuine Nissan MTF HQ Multi as soon as it is available."

So, what gives?

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Nissan nor any other car brand makes oil. Its typically one of the major brands already out there. Ive heard Toyota is mobile 1 for example.

When it comes to manual gear oil it helps to read the labels. As you can see the weight and gl type is important.

I went shopping for gear oil for the 16 5 speed and ended up with royal purple. Havent tried it yet. I needed some for another car that also took gl4. Before I used the royal purple I had I endedup at napa and 4 qt of lucals oil. I spent like 30 minutes reading labels as they had a lt of oil for non synchronized trannys. Others said gl5 included gl4, but that is not the case as gl5 contains sulfur where as gl4 does not and sulfur ruins yellow metals like the parts that make up synchronizers. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
When they say GL5 includes GL4 they mean it covers the lower spec of oil, not that it is synchro friendly. Mainly as an indicator it has the graphite lubricant additive that positraction clutches need in rear ends.

Hit the GL spec and basic weight of the oil and you can use anything you want and not bust it at all. Having to use exact OEM brands is for the birds. Even though not necessary to change often, the trans WILL last longer with more common changes. Manual transmissions wear to put lots of small flakes of metal in the oil, you are looking to get that out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im also thinking about changing my manual transmisson fluid on my '12 versa 1.6s due to a good bit of rolling whine. im going to take my wheels off and really investigate if i need to do anything further than that, but from what ive read, i think thats my issue with that, or maybe my differential, but is that a different compartment for different oil? And if so how much and what kind? Just trying to do things right as i do ridesharing fulltime and i need my car to run for as long as i can get it to. I know i can get ahold of the 75w85 gl4 for the transmission, but exactly how much do i need for that? Im planning on changing it while i change my clutch and possibly flywheel if thats what is making me slip if i drop the clutch at a high rpm trying to get on it usually between 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Trans and differential oil are the same on FWD cars, the major sections have been unitized into one assembly.

Trans gear whine where there used to be none says trans already dying, new fluid won't be fixing that. Could be something like a wheel bearing though.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
EXZACTLY!!!!! Non synchro friendly gl4 oil contains sulfur vs chemicals safe for yellow metals.

When they say GL5 includes GL4 they mean it covers the lower spec of oil, not that it is synchro friendly.
Whining noise maybe more of a clearance issue and the meshing of the gears vs backlash. More of a warranty vs oil issue. Granted most oils of a qt 85% is just oil and 15% is the additives and stuff.

Ive changed gear box, transfer case, tranny, diff fluid before and have had noises get better, shifts easier, lower temps.

I hate to say it, but sometimes a whine from a gear box means its low on fluid. :surprise

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
BINGO. The last sentence and why I said what I did.

The whine commonly begins when the gear mesh changes due to anything but commonly shifted gear tooth contact from excess wear. Different oil may mod the noise a bit but generally does NOT make it go away when it used to be quiet but then has gone to making noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NOTE! The 5 speed and 6 speed manual transmission use different gear oil !
My owners manual says on page 9-2

"Manual transmission gear oil"

5-speed MT:Genuine NISSAN Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75W-85 orAPI GL04, Viscosity SAE 75-85
6-speed MT:Genuine NISSAN gear oil (XT4447M+) 75W80, Genuine NISSAN gear oil (ETL8997B) 75Ww80, or equivalent *3

So 75W85 for the 5 speed and 75W85 for the 6 speed
Please read what you just wrote very carefully.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Skydona said:
...what is making me slip if i drop the clutch at a high rpm trying to get on it usually between 2nd and 3rd.
Are you sure you aren't just talking about the normal characteristics of this commuter-grade hydraulic clutch? It seems to have some kind of proportioning in the release to smooth out starting from a stop, thats just what I *think* that I feel though I don't actually know much about the clutch system in this particular car. I just know its a way different, squishier feel and release than all the other cable-operated clutches I've used in other cars :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.