Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys haven't been on here for awhile and then forgot my username/password. Anyway my 2014 Versa Sedan recently got stolen. I have it back now, what a pain in the butt. I am in the process of installing a GPS tracker so I never lose it again or at least get it back faster. I was thinking of installing the antenna on the back deck behind the rear seats. I need an always on positive wire to tie into and then I have a ground wire. The ground will be easy. Does anyone know of any wires in or near the trunk that are always constant even with the car not running, no key in ignition etc.? I see a light that comes on when I open the trunk lid so there must be some power back there somewhere.

Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know of any constant 12v connections in the rear of the vehicle. The light you mentioned only comes on when the trunk lid is open so it is connected to a relay switch somewhere, and therefore not a true constant power source. I don't have any experience with a hardwired GPS tracker, but the few installation guides I read warned against putting the device under any metal because it will weaken your tracking signal. If it were me I would try to install under or inside your dash, as close to the front of the windshield as possible. The GPS signal will penetrate the glass much easier than a metal barrier. Also, there are more constant power sources toward the front of the vehicle which should make it a little easier. The first suggestion that comes to mind for me is splicing into the back of your radio wiring and finding the constant 12v there that keeps your radio settings stored when the car is turned off. I'm not sure what brand yours is, but this link should cover the basics of installation.
How to Install a Hardwired GPS Tracker

1 - 2 of 2 Posts