Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first post here! I did some google searching before posting and I felt like it didn't help, so I figured I would post here. Hopefully this isn't too redundant.

I have a second Gen Nissan versa note and I am trying to set up power locks. Before digging into the project, I was wondering which interior fuse(s) I can tap into in order to get a constant draw. My preference is to piggyback off an existing fuse with a adapter (included link to the adapter below). The reason why I want to do this is because I would like to avoid having to drill into the firewall.

example of fuse adapter:
Amazon.com: E Support 12v Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder Pack of 5: Home Improvement

·
Registered
166 Posts
The easiest way would probably be using the radio fuse (keeps your clock/EQ settings when the car is off) or if you are using an inline fuse you can connect directly to the positive battery terminal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure that you are on the battery side of the fuse, not the load side. To do this...

-purchase a test light (if you don't already have one)
-pull the fuse you think you want use
-clamp the test light to a ground
-poke each side of the fuse location
-the side that illuminates is the side you want to use

If you put it on the non-illuminated side, it will run off of the same fuse as whatever you tapped and possibly be too much load, blow the fuse and then neither item will work.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Good luck with the project, keep us updated with it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to let everyone know I completed the power lock wiring. It took nearly 12 hours to complete. I wouldn't say it was difficult, but it was a pain. The brackets didn't fit, so we had to fabricate our own. The wiring was tedious to run through the doors, but the connection was simple. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who isn't comfortable with wiring and basic fabrication. Overall, i would buy a car with power locks than do this again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When you finished installing the power door locks, did you put the plastic film over the door interior? Normally the film is attached to the door interior with the black goop. However, I took off the plastic film from the door interior and, when I tried to re-attach it, it wouldn't stick back onto the door interior; it seems that the black goop is a one-time-use adhesive. I would need to apply new adhesive or sealant to re-attach the film to the door.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know I completed the power lock wiring. It took nearly 12 hours to complete. I wouldn't say it was difficult, but it was a pain. The brackets didn't fit, so we had to fabricate our own. The wiring was tedious to run through the doors, but the connection was simple. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who isn't comfortable with wiring and basic fabrication. Overall, i would buy a car with power locks than do this again.
I wonder if I can get away with not using mounting brackets to attach the actuator to the door so that I would attach the actuator to the door directly. I bought an aftermarket power door lock kit from amazon.com. When I opened the box, it had only one mounting bracket and no remote controls. I can do without the remote controls but if the mounting brackets are necessary to install the actuators, then I need to return the kit to amazon.com and request a refund. I want to avoid returning the kit so that I don't have to look for another kit.

Here's the kit that I bought from amazon.com. The main picture on the item description page shows only two mounting brackets but the item description states that the kit includes "a complete set of accessories for installation".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RMYT6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Why do you have to drill a hole through the firewall? Just punch a hole through the rubber grommet, that's how most professionals do it. It's alot easier, and it works. Just don't make the hole huge, just use a screw driver to punch a hole through it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anybody know how to remove the black doohickey?
You talking about the plastic cover for the fuse box? There should be a notch on the right or left side. You pull on that notch with your finger, a flathead screwdriver, or something similar to pry open the plastic cover.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You talking about the plastic cover for the fuse box? There should be a notch on the right or left side. You pull on that notch with your finger, a flathead screwdriver, or something similar to pry open the plastic cover.
Exactly. The right side came out with the finger, for the left side I just had to gently pry it off with a screwdriver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts