Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking to swap out my stereo for an upgrade with navigation, bluetooth when I found out people were installing iPads and android tablets into the dash. I see the easy way would be to simply install a usb power supply and hook it into the aux, but I'm not a fan of how that looks. I see vids showing off how they created docks for tablets in the dash and I was hoping someone would give me a few tips. Here's the best vid I've seen

Samsung tablet 10.1 car install part 2 - YouTube

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Do you have a tablet you'd be willing to use? A tablet like that will set you back about 500 bucks, and if you wanted one to work with navigation you'd probably need one of about 600 dollars at least. They're nice, but i'd be terrified of someone breaking into my car to get it so just make sure you put it away after every drive. I don't see how it'd be too hard to make the dock, you probably just have to find the dock for whatever tablet you want, and then just modify the dock to make it able to attach to the car. I'm not honestly sure about the bluetooth though. If someone made a call to you I doubt you could use the tablet to answer the phone and stuff. Would you keep the original radio?

Honestly I would just invest in a nice touch screen headunit. I know it'll probably be around 900-1000 dollars for a somewhat decent headunit with these features, but it's definitely worth it IMO. Hope this kind of helps!

I forgot to mention, if you wanted to use it's navigation like I said it's probably another 100 dollars to get a tablet with 4g also. and then you're also looking at extra cell phone service payments to have the 4g on it. Not worth it imo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well actually the cost for a tablet wouldn't be that high. The most would be 250 for a Samsung galaxy 7.0. I'm good enough to root for phone connectivity when it comes to gps and internet(phone calls are another story) I found another way using an amp but i'll have to go with the whole aux jack idea... I'm going to keep looking because if I can single out the audio in the cable and route it to an amp that would be just as good.

oh and another reason I want to use a table is for safety. Using a dock means I can take the tablet where ever I go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so I found two possible ways.
1. Is the definite way that will work. Get a dock, wire power to a cigerret lighter or the fuse box. Then wire the sound to an amp. This way is still simple like the others, but requires more wiring.
2. Find an amp that will take usb. I want to go with this route, but I don't know how well it will work. I also am unsure as to the difference in quality of a usb input amp since no one has used them in any of the demos I've seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.