Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i need?
Is there a retailer shop that can do this like pep boys speed shop, aamco, brembo distributor, etc.?

I know about cylinder, booster, brake lines. What about cost?

Whoever knows.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, Bob went the route of using a B16 Sentra rear 4 lug hub, which of course has the caliper torque mount cast into it, then you'd just need to rig up the e-brake cable. I think those are ratcheting/screw type calipers rather than a shoe setup, which sort of makes it easier since you just need to run the right length cable to the caliper screw mechanism, the stock e-brake cable to the drums might even be the right length for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he's done it before i'll talk to him about that.
I learned a bit about brake installations so it shouldnt be hard.

thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
you'll be adding drag by going to a disc brake, thepads are in constant contact with the rotor. Drum brakes do not contact the braking surface so have no additional drag, and are lighter. With such a relatively short vehicle focused on efficiency, there's no reason to swap out the rear drums unless your going all-out performance, or need it for your appearance.

Be careful with your brake balance. if you don't set it up right your rears will lock up way before your fronts, putting you in a potentially very dangerous position.

·
Registered
519 Posts
A brake engineer told me a while back that around 90% of braking is done by the front brakes. Other than ultimate braking performance (i.e resistance to fade) and marketing, rear disks have quite a few disadvantages: Higher cost (more parts), heavier weight (you have to have both read disks, and drums for parking), more drag.

If rear disks are to be added to a car like the Versa (or any car for that matter), it may be wise to upgrade the front brakes as well to have a balanced system as rstolz implied. If not, the ABS system may be working overtime to prevent rear wheel lock up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
jas32
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing