Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently purchased a used Nissan Versa SV 2018 having 70000 miles. I want to know its general servicing cost, which includes oil and filter change with tire rotation. The dealer did all the necessary servicing 5 months back and I drove 2000 miles till now. The car is running smoothly till now except for a chuckling noise while pressing the gas paddle for few seconds.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I do my own oil changes and when I buy new tires I usually get lifetime balance and rotation. If the car has only been 2K miles since it's last service it should be fine for awhile yet. Even under extreme operating conditions the oil shouldn't need to be changed more often than every 3K miles and for the average driver and driving conditions good for at least 5K. If you can do your own oil/filter change you can easily do a conventional oil/filter change for under $15 and could probably do a synthetic oil/filter change for $25 or less. Regardless of whether you do it yourself or get it done somewhere there's a crush washer on the oil drain plug that they recommend changing every oil change. They're not expensive but just wanted you to know. You might get by with using the same washer several oil change intervals or it could leak after the first use. Although the owners manual says the engine takes something like 3.75 quarts of oil mine only takes about 3.2 quarts and then is usually just over the full mark on the dipstick. Depending on where you live and where you take the car for maintenance will play a huge roll. If you take it to a dealer expect to pay a premium price. If you take it somewhere like a quickie oil change joint, Walmart or independent mechanic you'll likely save several dollars. Because of cold weather I recently took my mom's car to have the oil changed at an independent mechanic. I furnished him with the oil/filter and his labor was $15. If you just want the tires rotated and not rebalance I would expect it to cost $20-30. As far as tire rotations every 5-8K miles should be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do my own oil changes and when I buy new tires I usually get lifetime balance and rotation. If the car has only been 2K miles since it's last service it should be fine for awhile yet. Even under extreme operating conditions the oil shouldn't need to be changed more often than every 3K miles and for the average driver and driving conditions good for at least 5K. If you can do your own oil/filter change you can easily do a conventional oil/filter change for under $15 and could probably do a synthetic oil/filter change for $25 or less. Regardless of whether you do it yourself or get it done somewhere there's a crush washer on the oil drain plug that they recommend changing every oil change. They're not expensive but just wanted you to know. You might get by with using the same washer several oil change intervals or it could leak after the first use. Although the owners manual says the engine takes something like 3.75 quarts of oil mine only takes about 3.2 quarts and then is usually just over the full mark on the dipstick. Depending on where you live and where you take the car for maintenance will play a huge roll. If you take it to a dealer expect to pay a premium price. If you take it somewhere like a quickie oil change joint, Walmart or independent mechanic you'll likely save several dollars. Because of cold weather I recently took my mom's car to have the oil changed at an independent mechanic. I furnished him with the oil/filter and his labor was $15. If you just want the tires rotated and not rebalance I would expect it to cost $20-30. As far as tire rotations every 5-8K miles should be fine.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it. It definitely helps me with my 1st car service in the USA.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it. It definitely helps me with my 1st car service in the USA.
Glad to help. If you are comfortable using tools and doing your own work that's definitely the way to go on oil changes on the Versa just be sure you drain the oil pan not the transmission pan. They both have a drain plug the oil pan is on the passenger's side and the transmission pan on the driver's side. An oil change on the Versa is really easy just drain the oil pan, remove the filter which is easily accessible, replace the crush washer, put the oil plug back in, put on a new filter and refill with oil. Usually takes me 15-30 minutes depending on how big of a hurry I'm in. I'd recommend having the CVT fluid/filters changed if you don't know when it was last done and then approximately every 30K miles thereafter. There are 2 filters for the CVT one inside the transmission pan and one external for the valve body. Nissan has had lots of problems with their CVT's for the past 20 or so years so you want to do everything you can to prolong it's life. If you have this done be sure whoever does it uses the correct fluid to refill the transmission and not standard automatic transmission fluid. Nissan uses 2 different CVT fluids NS2 and NS3. The older models used NS2. My '16 used NS3 and I suspect your '18 does too. The drain plug for the CVT also has a crush washer that needs replacing each time. I would expect the cost of the transmission service to be $200-300 again depending on where you live and who does the work.

·
Registered
494 Posts
OP, definitely see a few youtube videos about engine oil change. Even though access to oil filter in Versa is super easy, there are a few things about oil change itself that somebody needs to demonstrate you. For example:
  • Change oil when the engine is warm (the hotter the better, just do not burn yourself).
  • How to remove old oil filter if it is tight.
  • Do not be over enthusiastic when putting the oil plug back in.
  • Smear the oil on the rubber gasket of the new oil filter before you put it on.

Also, do not throw used oil in the trash. Pour it into some container (like from milk etc.) and recycle it. Most auto stores or oil change places will take your old oil. They neither pay you for it nor charge you :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you did not get detailed service records when you bought the car, I would change everything(oil, trans, coolant, brake fluid).
It may be a bit expensive to change all at once, but it does give you an excellent service baseline, and not have to worry about if the previous owner did anything besides change oil.
This is something that everyone who buys a used car with no service history should do.

Reactions: pimperell
1 - 8 of 8 Posts