Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I recently purchased a Nissan Tiida (Versa) 2008 from a known vehicle yard sales company in my country.

I should've taken the car for a test drive first before paying them, and I regret not having made that decision as the vehicle was not as flawless as it appeared. The car had a noisy sound as though something was loose on the front driver's side suspension area. You could only hear it when going over bumps or uneven surfaces - but not on straight smooth roads.
So my wife and I informed the salesman and he agreed to take the car back and have his mechanic look into it for us at no cost. When we got it back, the mechanic said the problem was a ball joint that he replaced for us. However, he only replaced the noisy one on the driver's side despite the fact that they come in pairs.
A few days later, another noise was noticeable. This was now a continuous cranky sound - as though made by friction when metal rubs on metal. It would only occur when cornering. Upon closer inspection (by myself by feeling with my hands) I noticed the ball joint attached to the tie rod on the driver's side was oily. I don't know if the boom was punctured and was leaking, but it's just generally oily. I suspect it's the same problematic ball joint issue again. The other ball joint on the passenger side is dry so it seems this may be the culprit. The ball joint may be lacking lubrication so it's noisy when cornering.
I'm not a mechanic so this is just my assumption. I don't know, I fully understand that I could be wrong.
How would you guys diagnose this? Might it be something else?

Please let me know?

Thank you so much

Please let me know?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Maybe he just pumped some grease into the ball joint to get it to be quiet long enough to get it off the lot? Luckily you can get a whole new lower control arm with the bushings and ball joint already installed for pretty cheap. It's way less of a headache to just swap that out than to deal with any of the parts on it. From what I've seen the ball joint shouldn't be leaking a bunch, if you're seeing a lot of grease then that's probably a broken cv shaft boot. If you can get a picture of where the leak is coming from we can tell you exactly what needs to get done. Luckily again cv shafts for this car aren't terribly expensive either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you kat_hat,

I just took some photos tonight. Attached them for you.
As you can see, the oil is leaking from the boom. I think that's the CV drive? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

What do you think?

Oh, I also took a video of the same area just in case these photos don't show you much. Just let me know and I can upload them too OK?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
That's the cv shaft and it looks like the boot for that joint is worn out. If its something that's recently occured you can probably just get a new boot for it and pack it back with grease. If its been like that for a while and the damage is to great you'll likely need to replace the whole cv shaft. Without being there there its hard to say if that's your only problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you kat_hat,

I truly appreciate your valuable input. The noise has been there for a little over a week now. It seems to be getting worse and I intend to have it fixed soon once I have my finances in order. Wanted to have it fixed tomorrow but something came up but it's a problem I don't intend to ignore. Being a first car, I really want to maintain it. I already spoke to a registered dealer and they told me I can take it in for further diagnosis as soon as I can.

Once again, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
ramaswalleh
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing