Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I LOVE my new Versa. However, the air vents creaked from the get go. It's especially bad if I go over bumps or if I throw myself into a turn. It's loud and I need to listen to music at 20 to completely drown it out. I sat in some other 2010 Versas today and the air vents didn't creak when I pressed on them. When I apply the slightest pressure to my air vents, I can hear it creak. Quite audibly, too.

Anyways, my Nissan dealer is awesome. They said it was covered and would be more than happy to replace them. However, they warned me that they would have to gut the car to remove and replace them, which could potentially bring on phantom rattles.

My questions are...

- Was the guy misinformed? I woulda thought it was just a pry off job with a special tool. Aren't they snap on?

- Should I wait a couple thousand miles to see if it'll "settle" and cure in the sun/heat on its own?

If there are Nissan technicians here that can offer some insight, that would be awesome. Thanks, guys!

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, right - the possible fix. Another Versa owner that was dear said he experienced the same problem. He said the creaking completely disappeared after he installed a wood dash kit. I guess the contact from the adhesive makes provides some structural rigidity and less room for flexing and bending?

Anyone have a wood dash kit installed? Pics?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Mine creak a bit. Especially when cold. I couldn't see needing to gut the car to swap them out. The factory service manual show how to take everything apart if your interested in learning what really needs to be done.

Sorry no pics of the wood kits. I find they look really cheap. I think it would look even cheaper ontop of a VERSA interior as it already has a very cheap feel.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i havent fixed mine yet but im getting graphite lub later you can find it at your local auto store. Graphite is a lube that is not greasy or noticeable. it is used on wood floor if its creaking :p but you have to remove the trims first so you can lay down a good layer or you can use the liquid spray that leaves a film i think royal purple makes them. I just got my car back and the shop is a total let down so ill try and see if i can work on my car today with out thinking about what they did lol...

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The wood dash kits from Nissan themselves look super ugly (I saw it on a SL hatch at the auto show). It just looked really cheap. The wood interior looks much better on a high end Mercedes or something, not a Versa.

I never hear any creaks or rattles in my car (except sometimes my sunglasses rattle up top near the map lights in the glass holder).

Other than that I sometimes drive with the radio off just to experience the quietness :) My old car was super loud and this car is so nice and quiet, it's peaceful ...

My only complaint is when I have the A/C or heat on setting #1 for a few minutes it starts to 'tick tick tick tick..." Almost like a constant noise. If I switch the setting to #2 and then back to #1 it stops but then starts up again after being on setting #1 for a few minutes.

I'm willing to live with it though. I don't want them gutting my car apart to possibly cause further rattles and noises.

·
Registered
927 Posts
lol @ john

Okie so i was looking at some graphite earlier but i was thinking to my self well it will lub the plastic a little but the graphite will be gone after a few weeks. So i asked the lady at orielys/autozone and they told me there is no fix for it lol she told me that i need to replace my whole dash o_O geezzzz i know sometimes a good fix needs a whole new thing right away but damn a whole dash lol bad info... Im looking for some paper kinda of stuff to put in between trims till i find the one that is missing a "buffer zone"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.