Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this crud on my gauges since I bought the car. It has never really been a big deal to me, but now its starting to get annoying, and it just looks gross..

The gauges appear to have a whitish fog on them, and it only covers a few spots (only the 2 worst are pictured). My guess is that someone used some kind of cleaning solution on the dash that wasn't safe for the clear plastic lense of the gauge cluster. The only thing thus far that has been able to make a dent in the grossness is a mr clean magic eraser, but instead of completely removing it, it seems to have taken some of it off and spread the rest around..

Things I have tried:
soap and water-no effect
scratching with fingernail-appears to take off the "surface layer" but overall does nothing
magic eraser-spreads gunk around without truely removing it
interior cleaning wipes-nothing
windex-nothing

I'm open to suggestions, and also if anyone could tell me how to take the cluster apart it would be helpful so I can take off the lense and really really scrub it.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Thats weird, I've never seen that before. The problem(no big deal) I have with mine is that I can never get the windshield clean. I've tried glass cleaner, ammonia-free glass cleaner, and water...none of it works. Suggestions?

·
Registered
132 Posts
what about q-tips dipped in alcohol or adhesive remover? hopefully they aren't strong enough to damage the plastic..

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try it next and report back... Just as soon as I finish this episode of Top Gear. hahaha

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tried both and neither had any effect. I'm starting to think that this stuff is permanent :/

And I was watching the Top Gear-Top 40 marathon. I recorded 8 episodes and have only watched 3 in the week I've had them on the DVR.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Try Goo-Gone or similar. I too noticed Windex can't help plastics.
Now I'm worried your V has some kind of water/flood damage, or the cluster was swapped from a damaged V:(
This weekend I've been catching up with Top Gear Season 17 on www.streetfire.net includes extended episodes with "The News"

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears to be from some sort of chemical having a reaction on the plastic. The car was a lease before I got it and it had a clean carfax so I doubt it was anything seriously bad. The adhesive remover I tried is called "OOPS!", and it literally had ZERO effect. nothing happened at all. Does anybody know how to get the cluster out? I might try scrubbing it harder with the magic eraser and see if I can get it off seeing as how thats the only thing that has had any impact on the goop.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a couple more suggestions on the other forum, so I'll try those out and let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just tried nail polish remover and gojo. I was trying to work my way up from least destructive to most, and while the gojo did get the gunk off, it has scratched the clear plastic. I'm just going to order a new gauge cluster and replace it. Does anybody know if this will reset my odometer readings?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think that can be cleaned. These gauge covers scratch or smudge very easy and anything abrasive will only further damage the clear cover. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar issue on the versa I just bought. Someone had used a cleaner that etched the plastic. I ended up using a little bit of meguiars PlastX on a cotton ball. Cleaned it right up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just tried nail polish remover and gojo. I was trying to work my way up from least destructive to most, and while the gojo did get the gunk off, it has scratched the clear plastic. I'm just going to order a new gauge cluster and replace it. Does anybody know if this will reset my odometer readings?

Just go to an autostore and get some Turtle Wax ice total interior care spray. Works great on guages!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts