Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am from Virginia and the current owner of a 370Z. It is blue but unfortunately not bigger on the inside. I am definitely not trading in my Z but I have been thinking of buying a Versa as a companion to my Z.

Oddly enough it's tires and not gas that are prompting me to think about this. I don't drive too crazy and I definitely don't burn rubber but I have to replace my tires all too often and at $350 a piece it is painful. Depending on if I do more country or interstate driving I get between 22.5 and 24 MPG (on 93 octane gas) out of my Z.

So what does everybody think? I like that the Versa gets 30+ MPG (supposedly) and the cheaper tires and increased storage space would be so nice. Would it make a good companion to my Z? I've been looking at the hatchback models, specifically one with a 6 speed manual like my Z.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Versa's a good choice. Got a 6sp hatch myself, no complains so far. Welcome btw

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Good choice indeed. I have a 6spd hatchback as well. They're fun little cars, nothing to be made fast though honestly. I love the reliability of it, and lately i've been getting around 32.3 mpg (mostly highway) So I'm happy with it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I want something economical. When I want power I'll just hop in the 370! I work at home so commuting is not an issue but at the same time I live in the boonies so I live far from everything. It's 40 miles round trip just to get groceries. 100 miles to go to the mall. I rack up a lot of miles just doing simple tasks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've actually been thinking about swapping a 350z engine into the versa.
That sounds like one of the worst ideas ever. LOL You'd have to modify your car so heavily to account for all the extra horsepower that you couldn't rightly still call it a Versa in the end.

But that being said, I've seen something similar done with an old car called a Crosley. My dad happens to have one of those. They were made back in the 1940s just after the war and their tiny engine had less horsepower than your average riding mower. As a matter of fact I've known people to take those Crosley engines out and use it to replace a lawn mower engine. Anyway it's kind of common to hack those cars up, put a real engine in them, and throw some drag radials on them. Is that what you've planned for your Versa?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That sounds like one of the worst ideas ever. LOL You'd have to modify your car so heavily to account for all the extra horsepower that you couldn't rightly still call it a Versa in the end.
Not to mention the fitment lol. The safest bet he's got is an MR20 swap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's too weird.
I've been thinking I'd rather be driving a Z instead of my Versa.
You bring up a good point about tires though.
My son's '04 Mustang GT eats 'em like candy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello all! I am from Virginia and the current owner of a 370Z. It is blue but unfortunately not bigger on the inside. I am definitely not trading in my Z but I have been thinking of buying a Versa as a companion to my Z.

Oddly enough it's tires and not gas that are prompting me to think about this. I don't drive too crazy and I definitely don't burn rubber but I have to replace my tires all too often and at $350 a piece it is painful. Depending on if I do more country or interstate driving I get between 22.5 and 24 MPG (on 93 octane gas) out of my Z.

So what does everybody think? I like that the Versa gets 30+ MPG (supposedly) and the cheaper tires and increased storage space would be so nice. Would it make a good companion to my Z? I've been looking at the hatchback models, specifically one with a 6 speed manual like my Z.
Welcome to the forums. The V is a good choice for A-B driving and I get 34MPG in it.

That's too weird.
I've been thinking I'd rather be driving a Z instead of my Versa.
You bring up a good point about tires though.
My son's '04 Mustang GT eats 'em like candy.
How many miles per tires? I have an 04 GT myself and I didn't have that much trouble with em. One tire change in ~40k

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
About tires, my 15 inch snows were $90 each new. Will be cheaper down there for sure.
I'd love a 370Z, prefer it over the 350 myself, so does wife. But tires...omg!
Welcome:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome here!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah, I want something economical. When I want power I'll just hop in the 370! I work at home so commuting is not an issue but at the same time I live in the boonies so I live far from everything. It's 40 miles round trip just to get groceries. 100 miles to go to the mall. I rack up a lot of miles just doing simple tasks.
same here, that's why my V has 109,000 miles on.
anywhere I want to go is 30 to 40 miles round trip.
I think driving 10 miles round trip is a waste of gas...lol j/k!

I have a 6spd hatch, right now I'm getting at least 36MPG sometimes 37 on the highway with 89 octane but that's because I drive as fast as the state law allows me to drive but sometimes I go 5mi over or so depending on traffic.
my friend today said I drive too slow and that if he's wife was in the car she would tell me to speed up and I was going 45MPH on a 35MPH ramp.
I had the really back wreck back in 2001 and I totalled my car and cannot remember what or how I wrecked, that's why I totally lost my need for speed.

about your tires, maybe you have those tires that stick to the road really good for fast turns and better traction. maybe that's why they wear fast, same as snow tires but i'm not 100% sure

ohh got any pics of the Z? I'm a Z fan =D

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The versa is capable of getting high MPG, it all depends on driving habits. Regarding the tire question, my car is lowered on tanabe springs and I also have 17's (215/45/ZR17) I have had my tires for a little over 2 years now. They still have plenty of meat left on them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome. I got my V in a quick choice desicion (long painful story, lol ). At first I wasn't to sure about the car. But now I love it. It is no where as fast as the Z of course (sexy car by the way). But it's peppy, good mpg, and all around FUN!
Enjoy the forums.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Versa is a good choice, but if you buy a 2012 model, get the hatch, same 1.8l as the 2011 instead of the new 1.5l in the sedan. If you want to wait, I think the new 2013 hatch will have a 1.5l turbo, and might look a bit more sporty. Or just buy an older one, save money, and mod it or something. In Hawaii we have a lot of low mileage 2-3 y/o versa hatches, not sure about where you live.

It's very roomy inside, I used it in my last move to a new place. it's also pretty spritely on the road, small and nimble, easy to park as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.