Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a lot of thought, I decided to make my own intake. I figured I can start out with a Short Ram Intake, maybe sometime I'll run it down to the bumper for some cold air. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
63 Posts
where did you get the part for the MAF? Looks like Spectre parts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry about bringing this thread back to life, but I thought it was easier than creating a new one.

Was it easy to create your Short Ram? I'm from Brasil and I was planning on importing a CAI or a Short Ram, but the shipping is $100 plus 60% taxes when it gets to Brasil. (would any of you pay almost $500 for one?)

So I started searching for alternatives and your idea of building a custom one seems awesome. But I would like some help. Your image has gone missing and some pictures would be really helpful for me. Anyone else tried this? I haven't found any other threads.

Thanks! (And I'm sorry if I made any grammar mistakes!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello! I believe I can help you out here. I made my own short ram for about $40 and a little bit of cutting. There is a couple ways to go about it:

1. I went to my local car parts store and found a bunch of spectre universal intake parts, I picked up a cone filter, 6" straight tube, and a 3-2.5" silicone reducer (they only sold 3" pipe). Because our intake is 2.5" you cannot screw the MAF into the 3" pipe. My solution was to cut out the tube in the stock airbox where the MAF sits and put that back on before the throttle body.

2. If you can find 2.5" tubing online you could buy a MAF adapter with the other intake parts I mentioned and not have to chop up the stock airbox. This should also be significantly cheaper then $500.

Ill post some pictures of my set-up when I get back home tonight. Should clear up any questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello! I believe I can help you out here. I made my own short ram for about $40 and a little bit of cutting. There is a couple ways to go about it:

1. I went to my local car parts store and found a bunch of spectre universal intake parts, I picked up a cone filter, 6" straight tube, and a 3-2.5" silicone reducer (they only sold 3" pipe). Because our intake is 2.5" you cannot screw the MAF into the 3" pipe. My solution was to cut out the tube in the stock airbox where the MAF sits and put that back on before the throttle body.

2. If you can find 2.5" tubing online you could buy a MAF adapter with the other intake parts I mentioned and not have to chop up the stock airbox. This should also be significantly cheaper then $500.

Ill post some pictures of my set-up when I get back home tonight. Should clear up any questions.
Doesn't seem that hard after you explained. I alredy have the cone filter, bought a good local brand. The problem is that here we dont have universal intake parts. But I've read that Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) tubes do the job. I'll have to improvise.

I didn't get what you said about the MAF. (my english doesn't really help). Maybe when I see the pictures I'll figure out. (MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor, right?)

Thanks a lot for the help so far! Looking forward for those pics!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tired to snap some cellphone shots but it’s a little dark to see what is going on. I’ll grab my girlfriends camera in the morning and get some quality pictures. I have the air box as well so you can see where to cut it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tired to snap some cellphone shots but it’s a little dark to see what is going on. I’ll grab my girlfriends camera in the morning and get some quality pictures. I have the air box as well so you can see where to cut it.
Great! I'll be waiting! No hurry, though.

I purchased a Spectre Performance 9405, the MAF adaptor on e-bay. Will take about 15 days to get here. Payed 35 bucks. Thought it was better than cutting the box.

Think it was worth it?

I'm planning on using the MAF adaptor and the rest will be made with PVC tubes. Unorthodox, but I hope it will do the job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That adaptor looks perfect, has the inserts for all sizes too. Being three inch you will also need a reducer to get it to connect to the throttle body stuff.

I am sure PVC will work fine; my tubing is just chrome plated plastic and it is holding up well.

I’m still working on a bracket to mount it to the strut bolts but it sits in there snug for the time being.

I also put some mesh in the fog lights cause I didn’t like the look of the plastic inserts lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.