Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I just purchased 2 gallons of NS-2 fluid and am ready to change out the fluid on my 2007 Versa. I plan to drain through the drain plug, mine has one of those, refill through the filler tube, in the engine compartment, I have one of those too, then cycle the fluid out through the cooling lines on the radiator.

I am hoping this will help with a chattering noise I have heard when putting the car in gear. At low RPM, 1200ish, I get a chattering noise. I don't get the same noise with the car in neutral and it goes away at higher RPM and after engine warm-up.

Care has over 100K miles on it, never changed the CVT Fluid.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know the size hose that is connected to the radiator. I have been online and found replacement hoses but never anything that indicates the diameter hose.

2. Does anyone know which is the pressure line from the CVT to the radiator? There are 2 lines, one on the drivers side, one more centered on the car. Again, internet descriptions are limited to "CVT hose" not pressure or non-pressure line.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All Stop! I just found out today that Nissan Extended their CVT transmission warranties on Model Cars with CVT Transmission built between 2003 and 2010.

The catch is that you cannot have altered your transmission in anyway. So, if you are thinking about changing the CVT fluid on your own, maybe think again. Make sure there is no indication to Nissan that you messed up the transmission. I'm taking my car in for a diagnostics to see if the chattering noise is being caused by the transmission, if so, the diagnostics and repair are all covered.

Here is some of the critical info but check out the link below for more info.

"To provide customers with additional assurance regarding their overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the transmission in all Model Year 2003 to 2010 Nissan models with a CVT. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on the customer's part. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply."

Check it out at this link:

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are getting a slipping in ours. 08 Versa with CVT. At 140,000 miles. My wife complained about yesterday and today. Just returned from a 300 mile trip this weekend and running fine. Monday the issue starts. Taking her my truck to drive home and picking up her car to check it out myself. I may dump the fluid and refill with the Valvoline stuff for CVTs as the Nissan stuff is 19.99 per quart and only available at the parts counter (closes at 5:00). Well past any warranty for us.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi I would not recommend using Valvoline, unless they state they are certified to meet Nissan standards for CVT. I know Amsoil makes a CVT fluid that will match Nissan's fluid. And yes it is expensive but only needs to be done every 60,000 miles or 100,000 kms or so. So for a few dollars more, I would not deviate from the Nissan or Amsoil. My 08 is out of warranty now too and next time I do a change I will probably use Amsoil product as it claims to offer better heat protection properties.

Even though you are out of warranty too, better to use proper fluids that meet the same Nissan standards or claims than use a cheaper fluid and have to have tranny work done after.

My 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi I would not recommend using Valvoline, unless they state they are certified to meet Nissan standards for CVT. I know Amsoil makes a CVT fluid that will match Nissan's fluid. And yes it is expensive but only needs to be done every 60,000 miles or 100,000 kms or so. So for a few dollars more, I would not deviate from the Nissan or Amsoil. My 08 is out of warranty now too and next time I do a change I will probably use Amsoil product as it claims to offer better heat protection properties.

Even though you are out of warranty too, better to use proper fluids that meet the same Nissan standards or claims than use a cheaper fluid and have to have tranny work done after.

My 2 cents anyway.
Valvoline does state that their CVT fluid meets NS-2 standard. I've also read that others have used it with their Nissan (read: Jatco) CVTs with no issue. I'm planning to change my CVT fluid soon and will likely be going with the valvoline fluid myself. I am well past the extended warranty.

Valvoline? Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid : Product Catalog - Valvoline®

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just did a drain and fill yesterday with the Valvoline CVT fluid. No issues so far but I've only driven about 100 miles with the new fluid so far. Will report back if I have any issues, but I do not expect to have any based on testimonials from others who have used the fluid in Nissan CVTs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nearing 2k miles since the changeout and no issues to report. I'll try and remember to update in 10k miles or so if I don't wind up purchasing a new vehicle beforehand.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nearing 2k miles since the changeout and no issues to report. I'll try and remember to update in 10k miles or so if I don't wind up purchasing a new vehicle beforehand.
Thanks for update. I'm considering valvoline for my next cVt change later this year. Please continue to update on your progress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just finished a >6k mile cross country road trip and have gone past 181k miles and it's still kickin'. To note: Weak engine sucks for mountainous areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
nissanversa08
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing