Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Got a really good quote from Nissan dealer regarding CVT fluid change (~150$) so I am thinking of going there soon to get it done.

The only problem is, I bought my 2011 Versa used, and I don't know when the fluid was last changed (could have never been changed, who knows....)

I read on other forums that sometimes changing the transmission fluid will cause the CVT to slip and fail, due to metal debris in the fluid that helps it to shift.

My Versa has over 300,000km on it, and it drives smooth, some times jerks when going from D to R (rubber on lower mount is torn).

I would like to know if it's a good idea to change the CVT fluid even though I don't know the maintenance history. Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Provided you are not expecting a CVT fluid change to fix something, changing this fluid at some reasonable interval is always wise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Provided you are not expecting a CVT fluid change to fix something, changing this fluid at some reasonable interval is always wise.
Thanks for the reply. No, I am not expecting it to fix anything - my CVT is working very well. I was just afraid a fluid change might reveal some hidden problems with the transmission as I have read that is a possibility.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In my opinion, there's no way to mask a CVT problem with a fluid. If it's functioning well, a fluid change can't do anything but help it live longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just remembered something - Twice, after I had to abruptly stop the car, it would move very slowly and hesitate to accelerate. It felt like a gear wasn’t engaged right. Problem went away after less than a minute. I’m wondering if that is a symptom of a CVT problem..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just remembered something - Twice, after I had to abruptly stop the car, it would move very slowly and hesitate to accelerate. It felt like a gear wasn’t engaged right. Problem went away after less than a minute. I’m wondering if that is a symptom of a CVT problem..
It's not a CVT problem. Here's why I know:
I recently bought a 2014 Versa Note with 122,000 miles. The last owner totally abused the car. I got it real cheap. I got the CVT replaced with a new one purchased from a Nissan dealer. $4,200 parts, labor, fluid & programming. The transmission alone was about $2,200. The transmission place changed it in less than a day. The old one wouldn't shift half of the time. I couldn't drive on the freeway. It would often hesitate for 3-5 seconds after being stopped at a red light. It still did this after the transmission was replaced.
I replaced the spark plugs, electronic throttle body, maf sensor, and pcv valve. It still hesitates for 1-2 seconds, but not very often.
Did you try a electronic throttle body re-learn procedure? The electronic throttle body loses its programming if the 12v battery gets disconnected. Programming it is simple. It's just a bunch of turning the ignition on & off and stepping on the gas pedal a bunch of times. Before you begin, disconnect and re-connect the 12v battery to clear the electronic throttle body's memory.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was disconnecting the battery on both 2017 and 2018 Versas 5-speed a few times for more than a week. Never have a problem after re-connecting the battery.
That's been my experience with my Nissans as well. I did a battery swap in our 2015 Versa 1.6s a few weeks ago and notice zero performance issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never disconnected the battery since I bought the car. My Versa drives and shifts properly, it’s just that twice, after coming to a HARD stop, the car hesitated to move, like something in the CVT wasn’t engaged right. Problem hasn’t returned, and I will be getting the fluid changed very soon!

·
Registered
389 Posts
..... it’s just that twice, after coming to a HARD stop, the car hesitated to move, like something in the CVT wasn’t engaged right. Problem hasn’t returned, and I will be getting the fluid changed very soon!
With that situation, I would suspect something with the brake light switch. If the the PCM/TCM think the brake is still on, it won't allow you to accelerate normally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts