Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Nissan Versa SL w/ CVT (73000 miles)

Recently, my car has decided to make this wretched noise when it starts up - it sounds like something whining loudly. When you give the car gas, it gets louder with it. If you drive the car around, it will get quieter over time, but still has that whine to it. On long trips, it will quiet up to just a slight hum, barely noticeable. I originally thought the sound was coming from the accessory belt line, but it's lower in the bay - right near the CVT.

Starting today, it's gotten much worse - struggling to accelerate after coming to a stop. I checked the CVT fluid levels today, and they look good. It's getting a tad dirty, but I think that's to be expected at its age. I was planning on doing a drain and fill at 100k. Fluid was clearish brown, smooth still. Couldn't feel any grit.

Last service I did myself was filling the coolant back up, oil change and filter, new brakes and rotors, plus a brake like drain, all at the 70k mark. Nothing too crazy - I wanted new brakes on the car before winter hit. This all started happening when the nights started getting in the 40's (Upstate NY) - probably coincidental, but worth noting. The car has been driven in the south for it's entire existence - I am not the first owner, but it was driven by the dealership owner for the first few years, so it was taken care of.

Here is the video from the dash. I rev the engine a bit at the end so you get an idea of the sound.

I scheduled the car to go in for diagnostics - earliest appt being next week because they are the only Nissan service center around here and get booked. Still want to get some people's opinions on this before I go in - I've had bad experiences with dealerships trying to nickel and dime me for services I knew weren't necessary - problem is I don't know enough about CVT transmissions to make informed decisions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Be forewarned I'm not a mechanic. And I don't know your Versa. That being said...

Do you have power steering? If so check the levels? Sounds almost like a whiny power steering pump. Hope it's just that because it would probably be a lot cheaper!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I wasn't convinced it was the CVT, I am now. It decided to limp along at every stop light, no power going to the transmission. When it caught a little, it would limp along, high RPMs but only going around 20 mph until it decided it was fine. Wicked bad whining right after. Highway driving was fine, responsive and all, but anything under 30 mph made it apparent it was mad.

It threw a code this morning - I don't have a reader but will be getting it read today.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Your car should still be under warranty..........

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went and got the codes - if I read the MIL blinking correctly, the codes are as follow:

P0778
P0715

The codes point to the line pressure solenoid, others have said it might be the dropping resistor. Is this something that would be covered under the warranty? I am having trouble finding the aforementioned parts, not much information online, just on how to check it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Went and got the codes - if I read the MIL blinking correctly, the codes are as follow:

P0778
P0715

The codes point to the line pressure solenoid, others have said it might be the dropping resistor. Is this something that would be covered under the warranty? I am having trouble finding the aforementioned parts, not much information online, just on how to check it.
Hi, these are definitely transmission related codes. CVT could be stuck in fail safe mode, which is the limping along at high revs symptom. As stated by another member, the CVT's have an extended warranty inherent to them so I would recommend take it to a local Nissan Dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - got it to the only dealership in the area today, but on a flatbed. Tried pulling it out of the driveway, but when in drive, the car wouldn't respond at all. The car was quieter than usual, not making the whining noise as much, and the RPM's would hang around 3k but the car wouldn't go any faster than 10mph. After a while, the car stopped responding to any input on the accelerator at all, but it would coast along at 5mph or so. Ended up being faster for me to put the car in reverse and drive it along that way - it drove just fine in reverse...

I am somewhat weary of the dealer - a tech heard the noises with it in park (revs fine) and said it was definitely the trans - said everything I told him and what he is seeing is giant red flag, but the service manager said it probably wasn't and that they need to see what else might be causing it. Guess we will see how this goes...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - service manager called and said it really was the trans. He said it looks like it self destructed - plain and simple. Covered under warranty. Having them replace the radiator while they are in there because of a slow leak on one of the pipes. They said they are yanking the engine anyways, so they were only charging me for the part. Not a bad day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have a 2009 versa hatchback it won't shift from second gear to third or fourth it has a CVT transmission is there anything that I can do besides change the whole transmission

·
Registered
832 Posts
This discussion dates back to 2015, but it doesn't really matter. From my own experience, Nissan dealerships will not repair a failing CVT transmission. My 2012 Nissan versa sedan was changed out under warranty. The dealership was directed not to make any repairs to the transmission in the car, The CVT transmissions are so bad, that Nissan has a stockpile of them to ship out at a moments notice when one goes bad.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Depending on the circumstances, they are either overhauled or replaced. Torque convertors and valve bodies can be replaced as well. It all depends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts