Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to this forum. I live in Timmins, Ontario, Canada and I own a 2012 Nissan Versa SL 1.8L Hatchback (4 door). Bought it brand new from the dealer in January and currently have just under 25K on it (I know, I've been all over Ontario this year).

Even since last winter (probably close to April 2012 I first noticed it), my transmission will struggle to shift up to a more appropriate gear ratio when I accelerate. It doesn't seem to happen in warm, summery weather, but it has happened when the outside temps were still well above freezing. Basically, when I'm just getting onto the road, my RPMs will go much higher than 3,000 if I want my car to go any faster than about 40km/h. It will continue like this for several minutes and eventually "agree" to shift higher and my RPMs will decrease back down to between 1,000 and 2,000. I obviously let my foot off the gas to give it time to shift, and I don't accelerate hard while driving.

Like I said, it tends to only do this when it is about autumn temperatures or colder, but it will still act up if I've had the car started and idling for fifteen minutes before setting out.

I'm worried that these times when my transmission doesn't cooperate is adding unnecessary strain on my engine, and I'm almost certain that this problem is killing my fuel efficiency.

Has anyone else had any problems, or heard of any problems, like the one I've described?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize "shift" is the wrong word for it, but if the CVT is supposed to always be looking for the best gear ratio in a seamless manner, it is failing at certain points with my car. My 7 kilometre commute to work can sometimes be comprised of up to half that distance driving while at a much higher RPM than normal (above 3,000). I can't help but think that this is neither a) working properly, or b) good on fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine does not keep above 3K rpms I was referring to the lag from Low gears to high gears change.

What speed are you traveling at does this condition occur? you might want to take you foot of the gas pedal for a second and then accelerate to see if the RPM's drop.

The only thing the dealer would be able to do to possibly fix the issue is reprogramming the CVT's computer or they find a defect in the CVT and replace the unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically, when I'm just getting onto the road, my RPMs will go much higher than 3,000 if I want my car to go any faster than about 40km/h. It will continue like this for several minutes and eventually "agree" to shift higher and my RPMs will decrease back down to between 1,000 and 2,000. I obviously let my foot off the gas to give it time to shift, and I don't accelerate hard while driving.
I guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer then.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
How did you only drive 25,000km in a year when you live in Timmins? My family is from alot further North (far enough that we consider Timmins south :p ) and 25,000 would be a pretty low mileage year!

It is normal for a car to rev higher in cooler temperatures. However, having had a Rouge with the CVT it never seemed to be that extreme. Although I do seem to remember having an Altima rental with the CVT in Winnipeg one time in -40 and that thing was always revving high. But by the sounds of it its happening in far warmer temperatures than that for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CVT transmissions don't shift.

Im a bit confused. Generally, when a motor is very cold it will rev a bit higher then normal until it reaches normal operating temperature.
Huh? Of course they do. Just not like non CVT's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you guys are arguing semantics.

Put it this way: When my CVT is "acting up", this car revs FAR higher than any other vehicle I've ever driven in similar circumstances (passenger vehicle, driving 30-40km/h, cold weather). It just strikes me as odd, and I'm concerned that what my car is doing is beyond what could be considered "normal".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi GreatwhiteNorth,

I recently got a Versa, in New Zealand and some other countries they call them Tiida, and I think I have the same problem as you. When the car is cold, it won't "shift" (surely you can use the word "shift" in a continuous sense!) into a higher gear ratio. At 100 km/h I'm running at 4000rpm. Give it 15 min of driving and the cvt starts to behave, but this doesn't help when the first 5 to 10 mintutes of my morning commute to work is on the freeway! No doubt my fuel economy will be abysmal :-(

What happened with your Versa, did you ever solve the problem? How does the story end?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.