Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2008 Japanese import Nissan Tiida/Versa with a 1.5 petrol and CVT gearbox (I believe the same gearbox on the US and European models) with 97,000 miles.

Had to accelerate a little harder than normal from a standstill but nothing extreme, car moved fine without hesitation but as soon as I reached my desired speed I felt a powerloss, RPMs stayed the same around 2800, but the car felt like it was in neutral just coasting, when this happened there were no noises or jerks, this lasted for about 3 seconds then I felt a small bump/jerk and the car was back to normal.

First time this happened, drove the car to the shops and home afterwards without issues or noises. Checked the CVT fluid when I got home, level is correct and the colour is almost clear like water with a slight golden tinge, no burning smell either or visible particles, which is kinda expected as the previous owner changed it 20k miles ago.

Any ideas of what happened? perhaps it was a TCU issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What kind of CVT fluid did the previous owner change to? Also, the USDM Versa used a 1.8 MR18DE engine, so your JDM Tida may be a completely different model..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of CVT fluid did the previous owner change to? Also, the USDM Versa used a 1.8 MR18DE engine, so your JDM Tida may be a completely different model..
No idea about what fluid he used I think he brought the car to a garage shop to do it, the car's Japanese maintenance manual and gearbox dipstick say to use Nissan NS-2 only. The fluid inside is clear with a slight amber/golden tinge. I have the car for about 5 months now and even went on a 6 hour drive without a single issue. Outside of the single issue I experienced, the gearbox functions perfectly, no delays, no jerks, car accelerates and slows down smoothly both uphill and downhill.

And i'm pretty sure it has the same JF009E/RE0F08A CVT unit as the 1.8 Versas/Tiida.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it's slipping, there should be codes in the TCM. You just need a scantool that can retrieve them, if that's what the problem is. Symptom diagnosis is pretty hard to do with some many factors involved. You really need data with modern cars to be accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts