Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I commented in a previous thread regarding a transmission fluid change and what my local Nissan dealer wanted to charge me, which BTW was $180. The point of this post is to ask or offer advice as to which transmission my 2011 Versa HB 1.8S really has. I bought my car used so I don't have the Monroney sticker but I believe it has just the 4-spd auto. My dealer was telling me I had the CVT and he highly recommended I get the transmission fluid changed last week when I went in for an oil change. I disagreed with him but he insisted I had the CVT so I checked my VIN online.

Also, when checking out Edmunds.com, I see the CVT was only available with the 1.8SL. I have the 1.8S.

Lastly, when reading the full review on Edmunds for the 2011 Versa, I came upon this paragraph:

The 1.8-liter produces 122 hp and 127 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed manual transmission is standard on the 1.8 S trim. The four-speed automatic is optional on the 1.8 S trim and standard on the 1.8 SL sedan, while the 1.8 SL hatchback gets a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). In our testing, a 1.8-liter with the manual also went from zero to 60 mph in 9.4 seconds; in normal driving, this engine's extra grunt does pay off. This engine returns an estimated 26/31/28 mpg with the manual, 24/32/27 mpg with the four-speed automatic and 28/34/30 with the CVT.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to understand what type of transmission I have. I tried to look under my vehicle to see if I had a drain plug but the car sits so low to the ground and with the front fender plastic apron, I could not see very well beneath the car.

Whether I have the regular 4-spd auto or CVT trans, I still plan on taking care of my vehicle's transmission. My issue is that the service manager had no clue what he was taking about (insisting I had the CVT) and will bring this to his attention with I go the parts counter to buy Nissan OEM trans fluid and perform my own drain and fill.

Thanks for listening.:bigear:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Do you notice it shifting as you drive?
Note: the CVT's revs will drop as the lockup torque converter locks up, but it won't shift like the 4sp auto does.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Like 08v said... you won't feel it shift if its a CVT. If its a CVT it accelerates the same as if you were riding a snowmobile.

If you can tell when the car shifts, its the 4spd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have this on your gear shifter, it's a CVT.

P
R
N
D
L

It also will feel very smooth when driving, and when at higher speeds the RPMs will stay somewhat low. :)
Thanks for the replies folks, but this last post really sums it up.

When you look at my pic, it's pretty clear that I do not have the CVT transmission. The VIN check and Edmunds data was spot on and the service manager is (as I thought) clueless. Nevertheless, as I mentioned before I will still take care of my transmission as I want this vehicle to be around for a few years.

As for the smoothness in driving, I never could really tell since my wife never lets me drive the Versa :nonod: Sooo, I'm either riding my ST1100 or the mini-van in during inclement and cold weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.