Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
CVT fluid change ... by how old the fluid is ... or by how many miles driven ... BOTH? Here's a quote from a comment on a site about the class action (topclassactions com) that might be a clue:

The jerking is caused by the steel drive belt in the trans slipping and grabbing as it tears itself apart. As the fluid ages it doesn't have as much gripping power and so allows more slipping. This throws bits of steel all over the system damaging seals and allowing pressure in the hydraulic pistons to drop off and promotes trans failure faster.

MAYBE once out of warranty, or out of the new expected extended warranty after lawsuit conclusion, the owner will need to pay the hundreds of dollars total over time fluid replacement service often as preventative to a CVT replacement to the tune of thousands of dollars once out of warranty,

NET NET what's saved up front purchasing a VERSA (over Toyota, Honda) is later lost on CVT servicing and possible replacement. I plan to service frequently, but will never pay for a replacement, since the replacement will be the same unreliable CVT.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As I understand it with some of the Jatco CVTs used in NIssans is, the problem isn't necessarily fluid maintenance related. The problem is with a pressure control valve that can stick and not regulate pressure properly. This causes belt slack, which increases wear. As the wear materials in the fluid increase, the pressure control valve issue gets worse, causing more slack, more wear, more particles in the oil until the point of failure.

I'm all for CVT fluid changes and have done many in my driveway or garage with mail-ordered OEM fluid for several Nissan make/models, but fresh fluid isn't going to save an effected unit. Supposedly the pressure control valve piston is made of titanium or some more suitable material on later models.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I much prefer the Nissan VQ35 V6 + CVT combo, vs their 4cyl CVT combo. For instance, the Jatco CVT that's in the 2017+ Pathfinders uses a chain as opposed to a belt that's used in the others. Does this make it better? Probably not. Who knows!

The Versa CVT issue is the whole reason I specifically bought our 2015 Versa 1.6S with the old school 4spd automatic. It's not the same as the 2007-2012 4spd, so time will tell. I've done ATF changes on it as well.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts