Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Versa ownership and first CVT.
First thing in the morning, car is not warmed up, I roll up to the first stop sigh, pull away and a slight 'clunk' :| happens first two or three stops then goes away.
Car also makes a funny 'twittering' sound when driving down the street (my wife says it sounds like the Jettsons car... if any of you remember that old cartoon). I just figured it is the normal sound a CVT makes.
Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Nissan CVT isn't a model of sophisticated operation. The noise and clunk you are experiencing are probably normal. The CVT in my 15 Versa sedan is noisy at low speeds. So was the CVT in my 13 Cube. Mine doesn't make a clunk noise but the CVT tightens(locks?) up in its own time.

What I am waiting for is the cold weather Nissan windshield popping noise. My 10 Sentra had it as well as the Cube. As the temps fall near freezing the windshield starts to make a snapping noise like little rocks hitting the windshield. So we'll see if Vern falls into that catagory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Vern, I was somewhat blind sided with this car purchase... we had settled on a Fiesta, Yaris, or Mirage so I did weeks of research on those three... we stopped to look at the Fiesta and there was this Versa on the lot... my wife was attracted to the gas mileage... we test drove it and I liked the ergonomics (Bluetooth, cruise control and radio buttons on the steering wheel) so we bought it blind.
I didn't even know it had a CVT.
So far it has been a good little car (It is my commuter)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm 2.5 years (not quite 15K miles though) into my first CVT (2014 Note) and I've experienced none of the things you guys mentioned. No weird or unusual noises that is different for any car I've driven. Sure the way it works is different, but to the majority of drivers, they wouldn't even know there is something different in this car.

I hope there is nothing wrong with the CVT in your cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
jas32
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing