Nissan Versa Forums banner

CVT reprogramming '12-14 models

74K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  pimperell 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
Recheck it again, under service bulletin, NTB-15-069, it's part of the electrical system.

Here is another link:
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmIndex.aspx

"Subject: CP 2012-14 Sentra & Versa Sedan/NOTE; CVT Reprogramming - Service Campaign
Summary of NTB15069:
INTRODUCTION Nissan is conducting this voluntary service campaign to reprogram the Transmission Control Module (TCM) for the CVT transmission on certain specific 2013-2014 Sentra, 2012-2014 Versa Sedan, and 2014 Versa NOTE vehicles. This TCM reprogram will be performed at no charge for parts or labor. IDENTIFICATION NUMBER Nissan has assigned identification number PM562 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign. See this bulletin for further detail."

NTB-15-069:
http://m.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Versa/2014/tsbs/

#6 · (Edited)
@v039007
No biggie happens.
@Versa12
After driving the car some more today I have noticed the point when the torque converter locks up when it switches from gear drive to belt drive it no longer has that delay in transition some people have described it as a "spike". Also when slowing down it does not do the "clunk/spike" when the TC is switching back to it's original state. I'm satisfied with the reprogram so far. Any one else had it done, wish to share your experience?

#8 ·
any one else having problems?

I took my car to the dealership yesterday after seeing some coolant leaking. They told me I had two recalls to do, one being the CVT reprogramming. I got that done and had no issues when I drove to work.. Driving home from work, my RPM's shot up to 4,000 but my car didn't pick up any speed at all. I pulled over, waiting a few minutes and then tried again. Everything was fine. This morning driving to work, I had problems with my car picking up speed. The RPM's aren't shooting up like they did last night, but it wasn't driving the way that it drove before I had this work done. Took it back to the dealership. They told me that basically when they reprogramed it, I have to "re-teach" my car how I drive. Does this sound right? Has anyone else had any problems after the reprogram?

#9 · (Edited)
The "Reason for Service Campaign" from the last page of the TSB, which is an example of a typical owner's letter: "On some potentially affected Sentra vehicles, the belt may slip when manually shifting from the L range to D range due to low hydraulic pressure. Belt slippage may result in noise, vibration, and poor acceleration. Left unrepaired, this condition may reduce the durability of the CVT."

Note that the TSB applies to both the Sentra and the Versa. I hope the fix is successful. I almost didn't buy my Versa due to it having a CVT and CVT's having a very mixed track record.

#10 ·
2012 Nissan Versa - 65,000 miles - I had my CVT reprogramming done last Monday. Tuesday through Thursday I experienced no issues however on Friday I experienced RPM spikes and the opposite, no response when pressing the gas. I now have P0965 - Pressure Control Solenoid B and P0846 - Transmission Fluid Sensor/Switch B error codes on my car. I took the car to Nissan this past Monday and the diagnosis is that I need an entirely new transmission($4000). I am waiting to hear from Nissan Consumer Affairs to whether or not they are going to help with the cost. How did you issue work out?

#12 ·
Pressure Control Solenoid RPM Issues

2012 Nissan Versa SV 1.6L CVT - 90,000 miles - I had the same issue but this was before the CVT Reprogramming Which I got today May 31. My engine light turned on May 20. Through the week I experienced RPM spike when I press the gas and would strain the engine. As well as choking of the RPM it would jump and and down and effect my acceleration every time I would feel it the whole car choke. It happened when turned the car on and start driving or on accelerating onto the Freeway. I had someone check the error code (third party mechanic not Nissan) and told me the same thing. Pressure Control Solenoid issue code and that I needed to replace my tranmission and they would charge me $4,000. Outrageous!! I had a hunch that it could have been the Transmission oil since I was due to replace in November 2015. Did the job myself and yeah the transmission oil was brown and had gunk and metal.
Cleaned it out and replaced with new transmission oil which is suppose to be Green/Blue (New) Had to go to the Nissan dealer to get the oil which set me back $26 a quart (4 for $116). Engine light was still on but I had no more RPM Issues and 2 days later the engine light turned off. (Needed to cycle the transmission oil for the computer to read as clean) Replaced on Saturday May 28. Have no issues now working fine. Not the issue at all I was quoted by the mechanic.

#11 ·
Finding what is being done with the CVT Reprogramming

Can't seem to find online, what is actually being done to the car for the CVT Reprogramming service campaign. I see the service campaign notice (below) but what are they actually doing?

A post on carcomplaints.com stated "Dover service dept gave me a copy of the recall bulletin. It says pressures were increased to help with belt movement. My codes say pressure solenoid failure. Sounds to me like the program update caused my problem. "

2012 Nissan Versa Transmission Failure: 34 Complaints (#24)

I am experiencing the same issues and believe they were caused by the reprogramming. Nissan is telling me I need an entirely new transmission (at 65,000 miles) when issues only began after the CVT reprogramming last Monday. Thoughts/Similar stories?

"Subject: CP 2012-14 Sentra & Versa Sedan/NOTE; CVT Reprogramming - Service Campaign
Summary of NTB15069:
INTRODUCTION Nissan is conducting this voluntary service campaign to reprogram the Transmission Control Module (TCM) for the CVT transmission on certain specific 2013-2014 Sentra, 2012-2014 Versa Sedan, and 2014 Versa NOTE vehicles. This TCM reprogram w..."

#13 ·
2012 Nissan Versa SV 1.6L CVT - 90,000 miles - I had the same issue but this was before the CVT Reprogramming Which I got today May 31. My engine light turned on May 20. Through the week I experienced RPM spike when I press the gas and would strain the engine. As well as choking of the RPM it would jump and and down and effect my acceleration every time I would feel it the whole car choke. It happened when turned the car on and start driving or on accelerating onto the Freeway. I had someone check the error code (third party mechanic not Nissan) and told me the same thing. Pressure Control Solenoid issue code and that I needed to replace my tranmission and they would charge me $4,000. Outrageous!! I had a hunch that it could have been the Transmission oil since I was due to replace in November 2015. Did the job myself and yeah the transmission oil was brown and had gunk and metal.
Cleaned it out and replaced with new transmission oil which is suppose to be Green/Blue (New) Had to go to the Nissan dealer to get the oil which set me back $26 a quart (4 for $116). Engine light was still on but I had no more RPM Issues and 2 days later the engine light turned off. (Needed to cycle the transmission oil for the computer to read as clean) Replaced on Saturday May 28. Have no issues now working fine. Not the issue at all I was quoted by the mechanic.

#14 ·
Hello all, sorry if this is a bit late to the game, but I might have some additional info to add.

I had my CVT reprogrammed 12 December 2016, on my 2012 Versa sedan, and immediately noticed the slippage/ RPM spike issue happening (68,000 miles). I went back to the dealer who did the trim panel recall and the reprogram, who said that there was nothing wrong with the car, but recommended a completely new transmission to the tune of $4,000 (exactly what others have stated). The issue has gotten so much worse in the 2-3 weeks after the reprogram that I stopped driving it (was going like 45mph on the highways up some hills and backing up traffic because I couldn't accelerate). Well, since the reprogramming (in my mind) caused this issue, I complained to the dealer, who couldn't do anything. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, and they determined that they will pay for the parts for a transmission re-manufacture. This still leaves me in the hole for about $670+tax for labor. Another angry phone call to Nissan proved fruitless- they adamantly will not cover labor charges.

Does anyone else have updates/ better resolutions to this problem? It seems to me that they know this reprogram issue might be causing some problems, but won't admit it. I'd hate to have to contact a lawyer for $670...

#15 ·
i ran into the same p0846 code, transmission was slipping rpm would jump back and forth between 3th and 4th. I took it to the dealership and they ended up replacing the valve body which included that fluid pressure sensor(the fluid pressure sensor is inside the valve body) dealership charged $1600 for installing the new valve body plus labor, i only paid half being that nissan consumer affairs covered 50 percent. i had 112,000 miles when i got that code.

#17 ·
my 2014 versa not has been having accelerator issues
Hello all - my 2014 versa not has been having accelerator issues - when I press the gas the rpm shoots up but if I use my cruise it seems to function correctly- can this be fixed - ty
June 30, 2014

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched an investigation of the Nissan Versa from the 2012, 2013, and 2014 model years. The probe includes all three versions of the Versa: the hatchback, the sedan, and the Note.

To date, NHTSA has received at least four complaints from owners who claim that a trim panel adjacent to the Versa's accelerator has snagged the edge of their shoes while driving, which has caused them to keep accelerating. Since most drivers are in the habit of using their right foot for braking, too, the panel has impeded their ability to brake in a timely manner.

As you can see in illustrations found on page two of the investigation notice (PDF), the panel seems designed in such a way that it can hook the gap where a shoe's sole meets the upper. In at least one instance, a driver reported having to reach down and lift up the trim panel to release the shoe. Thankfully though, there have been no accidents or injuries associated with the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.