Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the group. This is my first post here, and I'm looking for a little advice from you all. My daughter was given an 07' Versa SL sedan a couple of years ago. The car has (I think) around 150k miles on it. She doesn't live close to me, and I have not driven the car. She only drove the car for a few months before it started 'jerking' and not achieving highway speeds. A Nissan dealer told her it was the CVT and that it needed to be replaced. They printed off a long list of codes, many of which were not trans related, but some were. I do not have the list at this time...maybe it is still in the car. Anyway....to get to my question(s).... She is having the car towed to me tomorrow after sitting for nearly two years. I do my own mechanic work, and have done numerous transmissions swaps on VWs, and even done an auto to manual swap, so I am at least somewhat familiar with the physical work involved in pulling a trans. Here are my questions...I would greatly welcome any information/suggestions from any of you.

1. I don't know what is wrong with the CVT, but I hear of countless issues with them. Is there any reason to consider opening this trans up after I pull it, or is it normally useless to consider making repairs(for a guy that has no real trans rebuild experience, but who has pretty good mechanical understanding?

2. Can anyone tell me what years/models Nissan CVT transmissions I can consider for this 07'? Since I'll be sourcing my own transmission, I need to know which ones are a possibility. What year Versas share the same CVT? Will a Sentra CVT from a 1.8 car work? Will a later model Cube CVT work since it also has the 1.8, or is it a newer design that will not work with the 07' Versa ECU?

3. I think there is a module inside of the CVT that I need to save and swap into whichever transmission I install. I think it is flashed or programmed to the individual car, but I cannot confirm this. Does anyone know if this is true?

4. Is this whole thing absurd and not sensible to attempt? The VW trans swaps are labor intensive, but very doable and normally worth it. Is there any reason that this just shouldn't be attempted(assuming the car is otherwise in decent shape)? My daughter doesn't work, so buying another car isn't sensible.

5. Is there a 'how to' video or web page that anyone knows of that might give me some extra insight on this job?

6. I work for Nissan in the facility that makes the Pathfinder, the Rogue, the Murano, so I can get a modest discount for new Nissan parts, but I'm not anticipating needing anything more than fresh fluid and maybe a gasket or two. What else can you tell me?

Thank you very much for anything you can offer to get me ready for this job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This youtube section should give you an idea of what your going up against regarding the cvt tranny...............................

Hey pimperell, I appreciate the link! Oddly enough, I found another video of his showing a CVT removal, but I'd hadn't seen this one. I plan on looking through his videos to see what else he's got. I don't know what to expect to happen with this CVT, but I'm not opposed to curing things with a fluid change and filter cleaning. That's not typically the way my luck goes, but it IS 2021, so I guess it could happen... haha. Thanks again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would suggest going to www.nicoclub.com and downloading the Factory Service Manual for the car.

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the car unloaded yesterday. The car has been sitting for a couple of years, so I guess the battery is not going to recover, but I did finally get it to hold enough charge that the car started with a boost box. It still took a while. The car runs great, and at least goes forward and backward. Both front tires were very low, so I aired them up. I had to wash all of the windows because there was no way to see out of them at all since the car has been sitting outdoors. I can here what I think is the transmission pump 'whine' a little. It's not excessively loud, but I think I can hear it. It reminds of a power steering pump sound when it's a low on fluid. I guess it could be the power steering pump, unless this car has electric steering ... I didn't look close enough. I drove it about 1/4 mile down the road, very slowly, and it seemed to do ok, but one of the front tires may be bad(or something) because the car really seemed to 'bounce' bad. Either one of the tires has gone bad from sitting with little to no air, or a wheel is severely bent. It was getting dark, so I just turned around and came back home. I never had the car over 30 mph. The car had previously been idling for at least 30 minutes, so I would assume that the transmission was up to operating temp. Maybe a fluid change and filter cleaning will help. I found the fault codes that the Nissan dealer pulled. P1701, P1720, P1725, and P0868.

·
Registered
2009 Versa S
1 Posts
I can't speak much to the CVV but understand the fluid is expensive and unlikely to solve the issue.
On flat spots on the tires, try overinflating them for a while and see if they get better. I wouldn't exceed max pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't speak much to the CVV but understand the fluid is expensive and unlikely to solve the issue.
On flat spots on the tires, try overinflating them for a while and see if they get better. I wouldn't exceed max pressure.
Thanks for the reply. The car is nice enough overall that I guess I'm willing to try a fluid swap and filter clean/replace. That's a lot easier that what the next step will be...haha. Yeah, these tires are brand new(mileagewise), but have been sitting for too long. I will give them some extra air and see if they shape up some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts