Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I was wondering if it will shorten the life of the CVT by continually switching over from drive to neutral? I find that I roll farther towards a stop sign in neutral then in gear (Which makes sense since it's not in gear to drag).

Also would one technically save more fuel this way? It's probably so small its not worth the trouble.

Anyways just curious as to what others think

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
You will definitely save more fuel that way. You need to time it right for what is best for fuel economy. Sometimes it's better to "engine brake" as the computer cuts the fuel injector pulse. Meaning you are using zero fuel. But sometimes free wheeling, or coasting in neutral will get you further. Which equates to better mpg's. This only comes with practice and trial and error. You use fuel while coasting in neutral because you are idling your engine. That is why those crazy hypermilers actually put it in neutral and shut the car off while coasting. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's very dangerous.

As far as hurting a CVT I would have no idea. But Nissan extended the warranty so I say go for it :).

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Thats retarded, sacrificing safety for extra fuel mileage.
so is speeding to get to your destination a whole 5 minutes soon if that. But when is the last time anyone drove the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I normally do about 5mph over the speed limit. I have anxeity issues. lol

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
i speed...because if i don't i'll get run over. lol
This is a misconception. I too use to feel this way. Once you slow down and get over that feeling you will be fine. People don't notice when everyone is going the same speed. But that person that is driving slower (actually doing the speed limit) everyone notices and uses caution around you.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I drive the speed limit. When they go around and get pulled over for a ticket, then they will wish they should have stuck behind me going the speed limit.

People are always in a hurry now a days. They need to learn to leave earlier to get to their destination on time. A young boy was killed on my way home from work on Tuesday. I saw the aftermath and it was horrific ... I couldn't believe it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.