Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im new to the forum but thought id make a post.
i picked up a 2014 nissan versa note hatchback from a neighbour who was getting a new car. the transmission is noisy as she blew a cooler line and lost alot of fluid. i replaced the oil cooler line today and got a bunch of nissan cvt fluid from local dealer. i finally found the dipstick/fill port under the battery compartment and it took me a while to get the cap off as its buried pretty deep. i pulled the drain plug but not fluid came out and upon inspection there seems to be another internal plug of some sort? does anyone know the correct transmission fluid capacity?
thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, there is another plug/standpipe. The way I understand it is that you fill the transmission until there's a small stream of fluid coming over the standpipe and draining out of the pan. I think when most people change the fluid in the CVT they simply take out the standpipe, drain whatever will come out, measure the amount and put the same amount back in. I know this won't work for you since your transmission has lost some fluid. I'm probably going to be doing my first fluid/filter change on my '16 CVT about next spring at around 30K miles and that's what I plan on doing. I too have tried to find a capacity for the Versa CVT and haven't been able to find it anywhere. I think most people claim to put about 4-5 quarts back in when they do a fluid drain/fill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thanks. ill pull that plug tommorrow. i had a nissan frontier and it was was easier to work on. i changed the clutch and everything no problem. these cars seem alot less friendly for servicing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if anyone has done a complete fluid change themselves i would love to hear how they did it and what capacity they put back in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im used to manual transmissions where you just fill until it weeps out of the fill hole . these cvts are a whole different beast. i wish nissan would just provide you with the correct capacity to refill. how do i tell if its full or not?

·
Registered
247 Posts
im used to manual transmissions where you just fill until it weeps out of the fill hole . these cvts are a whole different beast. i wish nissan would just provide you with the correct capacity to refill. how do i tell if its full or not?
You can download the factory service manual here. https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals Hopefully it will help answer some questions. Building vehicles that don't have dipsticks to check engine oil, transmission fluid, etc. is just stupid on the part of the manufacturers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. i know what a joke. im a nissan fan but dont know that id buy another cvt. but all the brands are going that way now with sealed transmissions. ive got a toyota tocoma in 6 speed manual that im glad i got because i can at least do all the fluids and oil myself

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not 100% positive on the amount of NS-3 you'll get on a drain/fill, but I doubt it's more than 3 quarts. Under normal circumstances where there have been no leaks and all is well with the CVT all you have to do is drain it cold, measure the amount that drained out and add that amount of new fluid back in.

I know the larger CVTs like the one in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder is 4qts per drain/fill.

The Nissan FSM will make no mention of the charge tube with the black locking cap on it up in the engine bay, but that's the easiest way to get fluid back into the unit. The FSM will tell you to fill it from the drain plug. You don't need to do it that way. I forget the hex key size you need to remove the riser tube in the drain plug, but it looks like this when you remove it. (this was from the 4spd auto on my 2015 Versa 1.6s, but it's the same on the CVTs)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not 100% positive on the amount of NS-3 you'll get on a drain/fill, but I doubt it's more than 3 quarts.
Maybe the 10 quarts I've got will do 3 drain/fills. If I don't forget when I change mine next spring I'll post how much I get out to help others in the future. If it doesn't take more than 3 quarts I may do a drain fill at 30K, go to 60K do another then another around 70-75K to flush most of the old stuff out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im trying understsand why they would engineer the drain pans to have that standpipe/riser pipe after the drain plug.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Maybe the 10 quarts I've got will do 3 drain/fills. If I don't forget when I change mine next spring I'll post how much I get out to help others in the future. If it doesn't take more than 3 quarts I may do a drain fill at 30K, go to 60K do another then another around 70-75K to flush most of the old stuff out.
That sounds like a plan. What I like to do on Nissan CVTs is, do 2 back/back drain/fill cycles at ~30K miles or so, then do one drain/fill per year at a minimum. I've always bought my NS3 fluid online when I can find a decent deal on it. Keep in mind though that there are many aftermarket NS3 alternatives. I'm going to go that route once I'm out of warranty.

im trying understsand why they would engineer the drain pans to have that standpipe/riser pipe after the drain plug.
My take is they do this to (try to) force you to use dealer service, or not service it at all. Toyota has used this standpipe setup for quite a while now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That sounds like a plan. What I like to do on Nissan CVTs is, do 2 back/back drain/fill cycles at ~30K miles or so, then do one drain/fill per year at a minimum. I've always bought my NS3 fluid online when I can find a decent deal on it. Keep in mind though that there are many aftermarket NS3 alternatives. I'm going to go that route once I'm out of warranty.
Do you change the filter when you do a drain/fill? I plan to change the filter and remove the pan to clean the magnets at least the first time so I can see how much wear metals are there. Depending on what I find then as to whether I change the filter every time or not. I had planned on using aftermarket fluid when I do a drain/fill but, since they increased the warranty from 5/60 to 7/84 in the class action I decided to stay with the Nissan fluid until the extended warranty is gone. I got my Nissan fluid online too. 10 quarts cost me about $125. The price is still a bit on the high side but, if it will help prevent transmission problems down the road it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
On the two Nissan CVTs I've owned and the ones I've did drains/fills on, I never did drop the pan on them. It's definitely a good plan to do at least once as you say. All have the screen type filter in the pan and most have a cartridge filter mounted under the fluid heater/cooler assembly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just got everything foxed. up i pulled the drain plug and over flow tube and the pan was bone dry. i changed the oil cooler line and added 3.5 quarts of fluid and warmed it up changing gears . i took it for a road test and drives great with no noise from the trans. not bad for a 300 dollar car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts