Nissan Versa Forums banner

CVT Warranty Extension

38K views 65 replies 26 participants last post by  love 
#1 ·
I have a 16 Note SV with CVT:

I received a notice in the mail today that a suit had been settled and I now have 2 years or 24,000 additional miles on my CVT warranty.

Good news to me as I really like the car and was thinking of selling it when the warranty ended. I have about 57,000 miles on the car (warranty was 60,000 miles) and sure didn't want to spend the money needed to get something newer. The extension will give me at least another year to think about what I want to do about replacing the Note.

#3 ·
I got the notice today, but I am out of luck. I have 110k miles on my 2014 Note SL. It now needs another transmission making this the third one for this vehicle. Not sure what I want to do now, but I think I will be getting rid of this vehicle very soon. I cannot dump another $4k into it. We really like the car and it's fully loaded, so it is hard to let it go, but financially it's just not a viable option for us to keep it.

#4 ·
Also received the class action post card today. It refers to this site for full disclosure.

After reading pro / con below ... what is your plan of action?

QUOTE:
WARRANTY EXTENSION
The Settlement provides an extension of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your Class Vehicle’s transmission from 60 months / 60,000 miles to 84 months / 84,000 miles (whichever occurs first) (the “Warranty Extension”).

Covers the following CVT vehicles. QUOTE:
2013–2017 Nissan Sentra
2014-2017 Nissan Versa Note
2012-2017 Nissan Versa

Additionally a provision to reimburse owners who have paid out of pocket for CVT parts, repairs, replacements, etc. QUOTE:
To receive a reimbursement payment, you must complete and submit a claim form on or before January 30, 2020, along with appropriate documentation of the repairs for which you are seeking reimbursement.

There's the option to EXCLUDE yourself from the settlement. Must submit opt out by Feb 7, 2020. Reasons one may want to reserve the right to sue Nissan are numerous! Here is a site that lists several. I am NOT saying to opt out. I am NOT saying use this legal firm. Only including because their analysis is pertinent. Check it out for your particular situation.

(Of the many points they make, a couple that stand out to me, we still end up with a faulty transmission, Nissan hasn't fixed the CVT, only puts in another faulty CVT. -AND- This doesn't remove the stigma of the CVT causing resale value loss; no punitive or penalty damages paid to owners.)

#14 ·
Also received the class action post card today. It refers to this site for full disclosure.

After reading pro / con below ... what is your plan of action?

QUOTE:
WARRANTY EXTENSION
The Settlement provides an extension of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your Class Vehicle’s transmission from 60 months / 60,000 miles to 84 months / 84,000 miles (whichever occurs first) (the “Warranty Extension”).

Covers the following CVT vehicles. QUOTE:
2013–2017 Nissan Sentra
2014-2017 Nissan Versa Note
2012-2017 Nissan Versa

Additionally a provision to reimburse owners who have paid out of pocket for CVT parts, repairs, replacements, etc. QUOTE:
To receive a reimbursement payment, you must complete and submit a claim form on or before January 30, 2020, along with appropriate documentation of the repairs for which you are seeking reimbursement.

There's the option to EXCLUDE yourself from the settlement. Must submit opt out by Feb 7, 2020. Reasons one may want to reserve the right to sue Nissan are numerous! Here is a site that lists several. I am NOT saying to opt out. I am NOT saying use this legal firm. Only including because their analysis is pertinent. Check it out for your particular situation.

(Of the many points they make, a couple that stand out to me, we still end up with a faulty transmission, Nissan hasn't fixed the CVT, only puts in another faulty CVT. -AND- This doesn't remove the stigma of the CVT causing resale value loss; no punitive or penalty damages paid to owners.)

My CVT transmission in my 2016 Note SV is just now starting to fail. Uncertain if I'll make it home, about 12 miles away.

I just had my transmission fluid changed about a week ago. The dealer in Puyallup, WA said he was aware of the class action issue, but also said nothing was finalized. I received the notice as well and I thought it was a done deal. I will start calling, faxing, emailing on Monday to get determination on this issue.

Any help, suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
I received a post card about the extended warranty today. We can also file a disagreement about the terms of the class action. Personally I think I'll take the time to do so. When they had a class action suit before the warranty was increased to10yr./120K miles. I think we're entitled to just as much as they were and since they've known about the problem for years Nissan should be forced to help cover loss of resale value because of a faulty transmission they were well aware of years ago.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree with 2016 Versa. Nissan is getting off easy with just an extension to 7 years/84000 miles. Maybe that's adequate for a 2016 and up, where they revised the design of the CVT to improve durability.

So has anybody with a 2016 and up had their CVT fail yet? This is the year they programmed in a whine on acceleration to simulate a regular automatic tranny.

Really like the car though, although there is barely 11,000 miles on my 2016 after 3 years. No issues whatsoever. Car has a roomy interior and after break in, power on the 1.8 liter is excellent. I get 31-32 mpg in all city driving. The car also handles well and is quiet, because in 2016 they improved the suspension/sway bars and put double gaskets on all the doors.

Reactions: Postnsons
#8 ·
Like you mine is a 2016 but it too is low mileage with only 17,800 miles hardly enough to give me a lot of confidence in it. I haven't had any problems but I just bought the car about 9 months ago with 10,546 miles at the time so I've only put slightly over 7,000 mile on it. Maybe if there's enough complaints about the terms of the agreement they will change them. Any car should last at least 100,000 miles without any major component failure therefore Nissan should be held responsible until the car has at least 100,000 miles.

#7 ·
I realize it beats a sharp stick to the eye, but going from 5/60 to 7/84 is hardly confidence inspiring.

I have no idea why the 4cyl CVTs seem to be the problem child vs the ones that are coupled to Nissan V6 engines. I suspect the V6 versions are built stronger and have better cooling.

Reactions: ted939
#9 ·
So far sounds like the forum agrees, this warranty extension is "thin gruel"! Not a substantial or significant outcome given the YEARS that Nissan has turned a blind eye to THEIR lemon CVTs. And we class action "winners" still hold the bag; unsafe CVT; replaced with another lemon CVT (as Nissan claims, nothing to see here, no problem with the CVTs, nothing for them to admit. Pay a little to make a big issue go away; keep sales safe vs owners safety).

To do the option of "OBJECT" and remain in the lawsuit requires considerable effort, my opinion, to be accepted by the court process. Deadline Feb 7, 2020 postmark. THREE separate copies mailed to court, class action lawyers, Nissan lawyers.
See ITEM 15 that begins on page 7 of the full, lengthy and detailed disclosure of what's required in our document to them. Link below.

#17 ·
My 2014 versa note transmission just went out last week. I've been reading that people got a letter saying the warranty was extended but when I went to Nissan they told be the law suit is still pending. I only have 57000 miles the factory warranty 5 years 60,000 miles. I did not get the extended warranty because I done drive that much and all my cars had last well over 10 years for me, Darn CVT. So my option they told me was to call Nissan or wait for the law suit to end which he said if Nissan doesn't protest it more should be in March 2020. I called Nissan because I couldn't wait that long. They cam back and need me to take the car back to the dealer for them to take the transmission apart so they can take pictures of the I side of it. Two days later dealership calls back saying Nissan will discount the cost front $4,000 and total out of pocket for me would be around $609. I paid it and I'm hoping that the law suit will allow me to get reimbursed for the cost, but I'm not holding my breath. The car is paid off and I'm hoping it will give at least a couple more years then no more Nissan for me.

#25 ·
T

The class action suit hasn't been settled yet. Once it's settled I'd think you could get reimbursed for the repair. At 81K you're just under the 7yr./84K mile cut off for the extended warranty. Here are a couple links with info and details. You may want to read them it mentions filing a claim to receive reimbursment. Nissan Transmission Class Action Settlement | Top Class Actions

I doubt dealers are handing out much information. I'd contact Nissan USA about this to see if I couldn't get some help. If you bought the car used it's a posibility you didn't receive a notice because Nissan wasn't aware of where the car was and who owned it. Regardless of whether you got a notice or not 2015's are included in the class action suit. Good luck!

#29 ·
My 2014 Versa note is sitting at the dealership right now. They claim the settlement hasn't been finalized but the lawsuit website says a settlement has been reached and the final court date was March 6. They offered me to replace the transmission for 20% of cost provided I also did other work with them to "prove to Nissan that I want to take care of my car." They were supposed to email me a breakdown of all the costs but didnt.

total quote over the phone was $2,200 to include the CVT, front brakes (he said those were $350), engine mount sagging and front axels to be replaced.

If the lawsuit was finalized on Friday shouldn't the transmission be covered 100% not 80%? I'm at 70,000 miles. Am I reading the lawsuit page wrong?

#32 ·
Yeah I went and picked up my car today. $160 for a car wash ? because of course they charged me the diagnostic fee. Also told me Nissan wouldn't honor the 20% price at a later date if I took my car off the lot. It just seemed to get shadier and shadier. Especially now the litigation website has updated to confirm it's settled just not effective until the court writes out the "order." It feels like they were trying to overcharge me on other stuff to get it in before that is effective. Even if I could get the 20% back from the settlement, that's $1500 of extra work they could overcharge me on.

I'll be going to a different dealership once the warranty extension is effective.

#33 ·
I'll be going to a different dealership once the warranty extension is effective.
Nissan will cover the cost up to a certain amount at an independent and at this point is probably what I'd do. Let a few thousand dollars come out of their pocket instead of them only having to pay one of their own mechanics a few dollars an hour.

#35 ·
update from Cincinnati: the local dealer on the east side has been really great in trying to get me taken care of. I was able to get a loaner car while they diagnosed the problem and went back and forth with NNA. I will be taking my car there for the replacement when the time comes (actually I might leave the car there, it's no good to me as it is.)
Since the class action has until May 11 to be contested, NNA is dragging feet and gave me an 80% offer to fix the CVT for $4100 (my share $820). Since I have another car already, I'm going to wait until May and see if their tune changes.
The dealer also told me one of the engine codes was for the catalytic converter, which needed replaced. The warranty for that was up until 80k miles and I'm at 80,055 so NNA politely declined to cover it. (cheap charlie rats.) The dealer quote for that is $1200. The part online is $200. I'm going to find a shop to do it since it will be with the new CVT in May/June. (If it were $300-400 I'd have the dealer do it. I don't know what the current scrap rate is on one but I know they get stolen plenty especially on SUVs/trucks where people can crawl under them with a sawsall jsyk.)

Things NNA needs from us in order to start and process claims:
-call 800 Nissan 1 (800 647 7261), then press option 7
-they will establish a claim number
-get an official dealer diagnosis of the issue
-list the service advisor's name
-make sure the diagnosis includes whether it is a repair or replace order
-estimated cost
The dealer is responsible for video disassembly and proof of the issue whether it's additional photos, parts kept & sent in, oil collected, etc. The last rep mentioned this but it's not my responsibility to comply with this portion of the claim. I mention this here in case someone will still be taking the CVT to a 3rd party shop. They need to cover their bases or you might not get reimbursed for the repair. (bean counters!)
In my case, the dealer did almost all the coordination. They have a separate phone number to reach NNA at than the customers do so some checking back from NNA will happen. One of the early reps told me I needed to produce the maintenance history of the car to determine that I took care of it like oil changes etc. I tracked down a bunch but never heard that requested afterwards. (She was specific to mention that they understood not everyone hits 5000 miles on the nose every time. Maybe this is their secret recipe number they like to see in maintenance logs. Who knows. The dealer did mention while I was there a guy had just come in with a blown engine seeking a warranty claim but had receipts for only 3 oil changes so it did not look good for his case. I do my own oil changes so, whoopty! That reminds me I need to order oil analysis kits in the future. But I've never encountered this issue in the past.)
I didn't know the price until the case rep called me to offer the 80/20 scenario. I just listened and said that I understood the offer. I asked if he was aware of the class action suit, he was. I said "ok," and that was pretty much the end of the polite call. I have his name and number still. I would keep a record of each reps name and date/time of call as well. (bases. covered.)
The bean counters appear to have decided to abide by the letter of the law and not fully spring for CVTs until the ink is dry. I can wait 60 days to save $800.

#36 ·
The dealer also told me one of the engine codes was for the catalytic converter, which needed replaced. The warranty for that was up until 80k miles and I'm at 80,055 so NNA politely declined to cover it.cheap charlie rats.

One of the early reps told me I needed to produce the maintenance history of the car to determine that I took care of it like oil changes etc. I tracked down a bunch but never heard that requested afterwards. (She was specific to mention that they understood not everyone hits 5000 miles on the nose every time. Maybe this is their secret recipe number they like to see in maintenance logs. Who knows.

The bean counters appear to have decided to abide by the letter of the law and not fully spring for CVTs until the ink is dry. I can wait 60 days to save $800.
Sometimes codes that seem to point to a possible bad catalytic converter turns out to be nothing more than a bad downstream 02 sensor. I'm not sure what a new 02 sensor costs for a Versa but it might be worth a try. Do you know the code that showed up on the scanner?

What does oil changes have to do with the transmission? Yes, they could disqualify engine warranty work if you went over 5K on an oil change since this is the Nissan recommended oil change interval and is how their service booklet is written. I bought my Versa used with 10K miles and a rebuilt title. I also do my own oil changes and use oil that I bought years ago and has been in my garage ever since therefore no receipts. When I bought the car I called Nissan and Nissan said they wouldn't cover my car under warranty because of the rebuilt title but, I received a post card saying I was included in the extended CVT warranty. If I have a problem with my CVT and they try to deny it I'll show them the card that I received and if they still don't want to honor it I'll likely be speaking to an attorney. Maybe even trying to get in contact with the attorneys that handled the class action. I kept the postcard and put it in the glove compartment with the rest of the car information just in case.

80/20 is nothing more than corporate BS and their way of getting use of your money until the settlement is finalized. I'm glad you're in a position where you can afford to wait, an option not everyone has and they also can't afford $820.

Keep us informed of how it goes when the settlement is reached and you get your car repaired.

#38 ·
Hi neverNissanagain,
I had the same issue just a couple months back too. Did you call Nissan USA corporate office? I did that after the dealership told me the same thing. Once I called the corporate office I was thinking I would not hear from them but to my surprise they contacted me back. They told me that I needed to take the car back to the dealership for them to take the transmission oil pan off so they can take pictures for review. The next day the dealer called back and lowered the price to around $600. I had to take it because I could not wait for the courts to make the decision in the lawsuit. I'm still hoping that they will still come back and allow the people that paid for a rebuild transmission to get reimbursed for it. This is what happened on the earlier lawsuit. So call the corporate office. Hope that helps.

#39 ·
No such Luck on my end. The 25% off came from corporate as the dealership has had the car for almost a month. I told them to put it back together so i can take it home and wait a couple of weeks ( may 11 ) for the lawsuit to be finalized and the warranty extension shows up on their end. Whats more scary is that Nissan might try to deny the warranty on my car after they extend it because i do not have the receipts for all the oil changes I have done to the car.

#40 ·
I took the car in only once for an oil change only because they had a sale for $10. I do the oil change myself too but that was much cheaper than I could have done it for. That sucks that Nissan is not at least offering the same price for an issue that they knew about for a long time. Now with this virus thing going on I'm sure the lawsuit will be delayed. First and last Nissan for me too.

#42 ·
I would put a small share of blame on the people who keep buying Nissans with a cr*p CVT. Sure, if you lease or keep trading in your ride before a powertrain warranty is over, then it does not matter. But if you buy your car to keep it for a long haul, then do a due diligence and do a research before you drop a pretty penny.

If more people do just that and stop giving their business to a company who was well aware of this problem with CVT for a long time, but does nothing to fix it, and keeps screwing their customers, then the free market would take care of it and either forced Nissan to clean up its act, or forced it out of business. It would be a choice that Nissan itself will have to make.

#43 ·
Yes, it is a BUYER BEWARE first, and then decide. I calculated the extremely low purchase price (bought brand new 2015 in spring 2016); discounted substantially to "get it off the lot". Via GEICO insurance, bought the extra MBI coverage, (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) to extend the CVT warranty in particular. Did the CVT fluid change based on age of fluid, not my very low mileage. And thought worse case, if I have to replace CVT out of my pocket, will make the vehicle price back to as if full retail.

HOWEVER ... will say under calculated the continued stress of owning a vehicle that is vulnerable. Like having a low grade fever LOL Another concern, the "new" CVT replacement is no more reliable than the original factory CVT.

MAYBE the class action will be the ace in the whole ... whenever finally effective.

BOTTOM LINE ... Would I do it all over again? NO. (Even though otherwise, I am satisfied with the vehicle) Just my opinion ...

#44 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share this. The class action suit has been settled and repairs can begin on 5/11/2020.

Final approval was made on 3/10/2020.

#45 ·
It's nice to read that, but unless you get a postcard from Nissan or a Nissan service department can back this, this ~84mo ~84K mile extension thing is worthless.

I do feel for those effected by this crap. That would be the end of Nissan for me as well. Luckily the few times I've used my Nissan dealer for service, they've been fair and decent to deal with. I've even gotten some things covered out of warranty.

Some of the shady things I read above, like them only honoring a heavily discounted price on a CVT replacement if you agreed to pay for a brake job, etc. is nonsense. I would have escalated that and made it my mission in life to shut them down had they pulled that move with me.

#54 ·
Interesting and disappointing thread to read...

We just bought a 2017 SL.. Only 21,000 kms.

How can I find out if my vehicle has been granted, or is eligible for an extended warranty on the3 CVT..??

We are in Ontario, Canada.. so not sure if things are different up here, with Nissan..??

many thanks,
Mig..

#57 · (Edited)
Thanks.. If a particular VIN is NOT included, is it because they have determined those trannies are ok..??
Are their decisions arguable...??

Thanks,
Mig
I don't remember exactly the terms but I think there was wide range of cars manufactured from a certain year and to a certain year.
I'm not sure if 2017 was included...but I think it was.
Dealer should be able to confirm that for you :)
The car is pretty new, almost brand new, and while I don't know the specific history of this car I wonder if the previous owner sold it early because he/she didn't want to deal with any possible CVT issues in the future.
(because I heard this bedtime story before)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.