Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 Note SV with CVT:

I received a notice in the mail today that a suit had been settled and I now have 2 years or 24,000 additional miles on my CVT warranty.

Good news to me as I really like the car and was thinking of selling it when the warranty ended. I have about 57,000 miles on the car (warranty was 60,000 miles) and sure didn't want to spend the money needed to get something newer. The extension will give me at least another year to think about what I want to do about replacing the Note.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good to hear! The problems with the CVT trans is why I bought a 5sp manual with my 2016 Versa S sedan. Plus it's fun to drive. But really good news for those of you with the CVT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the notice today, but I am out of luck. I have 110k miles on my 2014 Note SL. It now needs another transmission making this the third one for this vehicle. Not sure what I want to do now, but I think I will be getting rid of this vehicle very soon. I cannot dump another $4k into it. We really like the car and it's fully loaded, so it is hard to let it go, but financially it's just not a viable option for us to keep it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also received the class action post card today. It refers to this site for full disclosure.

After reading pro / con below ... what is your plan of action?

QUOTE:
WARRANTY EXTENSION
The Settlement provides an extension of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your Class Vehicle’s transmission from 60 months / 60,000 miles to 84 months / 84,000 miles (whichever occurs first) (the “Warranty Extension”).

Covers the following CVT vehicles. QUOTE:
2013–2017 Nissan Sentra
2014-2017 Nissan Versa Note
2012-2017 Nissan Versa

Additionally a provision to reimburse owners who have paid out of pocket for CVT parts, repairs, replacements, etc. QUOTE:
To receive a reimbursement payment, you must complete and submit a claim form on or before January 30, 2020, along with appropriate documentation of the repairs for which you are seeking reimbursement.

There's the option to EXCLUDE yourself from the settlement. Must submit opt out by Feb 7, 2020. Reasons one may want to reserve the right to sue Nissan are numerous! Here is a site that lists several. I am NOT saying to opt out. I am NOT saying use this legal firm. Only including because their analysis is pertinent. Check it out for your particular situation.

(Of the many points they make, a couple that stand out to me, we still end up with a faulty transmission, Nissan hasn't fixed the CVT, only puts in another faulty CVT. -AND- This doesn't remove the stigma of the CVT causing resale value loss; no punitive or penalty damages paid to owners.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I received a post card about the extended warranty today. We can also file a disagreement about the terms of the class action. Personally I think I'll take the time to do so. When they had a class action suit before the warranty was increased to10yr./120K miles. I think we're entitled to just as much as they were and since they've known about the problem for years Nissan should be forced to help cover loss of resale value because of a faulty transmission they were well aware of years ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with 2016 Versa. Nissan is getting off easy with just an extension to 7 years/84000 miles. Maybe that's adequate for a 2016 and up, where they revised the design of the CVT to improve durability.

So has anybody with a 2016 and up had their CVT fail yet? This is the year they programmed in a whine on acceleration to simulate a regular automatic tranny.

Really like the car though, although there is barely 11,000 miles on my 2016 after 3 years. No issues whatsoever. Car has a roomy interior and after break in, power on the 1.8 liter is excellent. I get 31-32 mpg in all city driving. The car also handles well and is quiet, because in 2016 they improved the suspension/sway bars and put double gaskets on all the doors.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I realize it beats a sharp stick to the eye, but going from 5/60 to 7/84 is hardly confidence inspiring.

I have no idea why the 4cyl CVTs seem to be the problem child vs the ones that are coupled to Nissan V6 engines. I suspect the V6 versions are built stronger and have better cooling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with 2016 Versa. Nissan is getting off easy with just an extension to 7 years/84000 miles. Maybe that's adequate for a 2016 and up, where they revised the design of the CVT to improve durability.

So has anybody with a 2016 and up had their CVT fail yet? This is the year they programmed in a whine on acceleration to simulate a regular automatic tranny.

Really like the car though, although there is barely 11,000 miles on my 2016 after 3 years. No issues whatsoever. Car has a roomy interior and after break in, power on the 1.8 liter is excellent. I get 31-32 mpg in all city driving. The car also handles well and is quiet, because in 2016 they improved the suspension/sway bars and put double gaskets on all the doors.
Like you mine is a 2016 but it too is low mileage with only 17,800 miles hardly enough to give me a lot of confidence in it. I haven't had any problems but I just bought the car about 9 months ago with 10,546 miles at the time so I've only put slightly over 7,000 mile on it. Maybe if there's enough complaints about the terms of the agreement they will change them. Any car should last at least 100,000 miles without any major component failure therefore Nissan should be held responsible until the car has at least 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far sounds like the forum agrees, this warranty extension is "thin gruel"! Not a substantial or significant outcome given the YEARS that Nissan has turned a blind eye to THEIR lemon CVTs. And we class action "winners" still hold the bag; unsafe CVT; replaced with another lemon CVT (as Nissan claims, nothing to see here, no problem with the CVTs, nothing for them to admit. Pay a little to make a big issue go away; keep sales safe vs owners safety).

To do the option of "OBJECT" and remain in the lawsuit requires considerable effort, my opinion, to be accepted by the court process. Deadline Feb 7, 2020 postmark. THREE separate copies mailed to court, class action lawyers, Nissan lawyers.
See ITEM 15 that begins on page 7 of the full, lengthy and detailed disclosure of what's required in our document to them. Link below.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hi Clevor,
Something to verify perhaps, is your 2016 really a 2016? My 2015 was manufactured in Mexico in 2014 (bought it new Apr 2016 with 7 miles on it). Hard to know what CVT status actually is. Mine could have been built with a 2014 or 2013 (or older!) Depends what was left on the factory shelf?
Maybe your 2016 has a 2016 CVT ... maybe not ... perhaps why the class action lawsuit is spread across so many model years? 2012-2017 ... sigh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Clevor,
Something to verify perhaps, is your 2016 really a 2016? My 2015 was manufactured in Mexico in 2014 (bought it new Apr 2016 with 7 miles on it). Hard to know what CVT status actually is. Mine could have been built with a 2014 or 2013 (or older!) Depends what was left on the factory shelf?
Maybe your 2016 has a 2016 CVT ... maybe not ... perhaps why the class action lawsuit is spread across so many model years? 2012-2017 ... sigh
I'm pretty sure it is the upgraded CVT, because as I mentioned, it has the silly whine on acceleration. Seems like many a CVT owner got freaked out by the lack of noise these trannies make during acceleration so Nissan programmed in the simulated whine in 2016. Another 2016 owner I met in a parking lot was also complaining of the noise. I actually took my car to my Nissan dealer to have it checked out; to be sure it's normal and not a dying CVT, and the dealer said nothing is wrong. In 2016 and up, Nissan moved the belt outside the tranny solution. If you read the link below, just replace '2020' with '2016' and that is the ad you'd see back then. So Nissan did the upgrade beginning in 2016:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is the upgraded CVT, because as I mentioned, it has the silly whine on acceleration. Seems like many a CVT owner got freaked out by the lack of noise these trannies make during acceleration so Nissan programmed in the simulated whine in 2016. Another 2016 owner I met in a parking lot was also complaining of the noise. I actually took my car to my Nissan dealer to have it checked out; to be sure it's normal and not a dying CVT, and the dealer said nothing is wrong. In 2016 and up, Nissan moved the belt outside the tranny solution. If you read the link below, just replace '2020' with '2016' and that is the ad you'd see back then. So Nissan did the upgrade beginning in 2016:

So what I’m getting is that generally the Versa models from the 2016 model year (so 2015(?)) have what nissan’s dubbed “upgraded” CVT?
Is there any way to know whether or not it’s the “new” one or not?

I’ve been weighing my options in terms of the whole lawsuit and I like the car, I just don’t want to go about this without knowing what’s going on

·
Registered
707 Posts
So what I’m getting is that generally the Versa models from the 2016 model year (so 2015(?)) have what nissan’s dubbed “upgraded” CVT?
Is there any way to know whether or not it’s the “new” one or not?

I’ve been weighing my options in terms of the whole lawsuit and I like the car, I just don’t want to go about this without knowing what’s going on

With Nissan its a roll of the dice. My 2012 versa sedan cvt was replaced under warranty at around 23,000 miles. They said they put in a "NEW" cvt transmission, but I have my doubts about that. They were so confident in the replacement transmission that they gave me a ONE YEAR, 12,000 MILE on the new unit!!!!! If they really had confidence in their product, the warranty should have been extended to the original 3 years, 36,000 miles............after all it is a "New Unit"..............LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also received the class action post card today. It refers to this site for full disclosure.

After reading pro / con below ... what is your plan of action?

QUOTE:
WARRANTY EXTENSION
The Settlement provides an extension of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your Class Vehicle’s transmission from 60 months / 60,000 miles to 84 months / 84,000 miles (whichever occurs first) (the “Warranty Extension”).

Covers the following CVT vehicles. QUOTE:
2013–2017 Nissan Sentra
2014-2017 Nissan Versa Note
2012-2017 Nissan Versa

Additionally a provision to reimburse owners who have paid out of pocket for CVT parts, repairs, replacements, etc. QUOTE:
To receive a reimbursement payment, you must complete and submit a claim form on or before January 30, 2020, along with appropriate documentation of the repairs for which you are seeking reimbursement.

There's the option to EXCLUDE yourself from the settlement. Must submit opt out by Feb 7, 2020. Reasons one may want to reserve the right to sue Nissan are numerous! Here is a site that lists several. I am NOT saying to opt out. I am NOT saying use this legal firm. Only including because their analysis is pertinent. Check it out for your particular situation.

(Of the many points they make, a couple that stand out to me, we still end up with a faulty transmission, Nissan hasn't fixed the CVT, only puts in another faulty CVT. -AND- This doesn't remove the stigma of the CVT causing resale value loss; no punitive or penalty damages paid to owners.)

My CVT transmission in my 2016 Note SV is just now starting to fail. Uncertain if I'll make it home, about 12 miles away.

I just had my transmission fluid changed about a week ago. The dealer in Puyallup, WA said he was aware of the class action issue, but also said nothing was finalized. I received the notice as well and I thought it was a done deal. I will start calling, faxing, emailing on Monday to get determination on this issue.

Any help, suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the notice today, but I am out of luck. I have 110k miles on my 2014 Note SL. It now needs another transmission making this the third one for this vehicle. Not sure what I want to do now, but I think I will be getting rid of this vehicle very soon. I cannot dump another $4k into it. We really like the car and it's fully loaded, so it is hard to let it go, but financially it's just not a viable option for us to keep it.
120,000 on my 16 cvt So far still going

·
Registered
2 Posts

120,000 so far on my 2016 does have a issue with looseness/ clunking on stopping.. seems to have increasing play on inner cv joint into transmission... weird

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 versa note transmission just went out last week. I've been reading that people got a letter saying the warranty was extended but when I went to Nissan they told be the law suit is still pending. I only have 57000 miles the factory warranty 5 years 60,000 miles. I did not get the extended warranty because I done drive that much and all my cars had last well over 10 years for me, Darn CVT. So my option they told me was to call Nissan or wait for the law suit to end which he said if Nissan doesn't protest it more should be in March 2020. I called Nissan because I couldn't wait that long. They cam back and need me to take the car back to the dealer for them to take the transmission apart so they can take pictures of the I side of it. Two days later dealership calls back saying Nissan will discount the cost front $4,000 and total out of pocket for me would be around $609. I paid it and I'm hoping that the law suit will allow me to get reimbursed for the cost, but I'm not holding my breath. The car is paid off and I'm hoping it will give at least a couple more years then no more Nissan for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 versa note transmission just went out last week. I've been reading that people got a letter saying the warranty was extended but when I went to Nissan they told be the law suit is still pending. I only have 57000 miles the factory warranty 5 years 60,000 miles. I did not get the extended warranty because I done drive that much and all my cars had last well over 10 years for me, Darn CVT. So my option they told me was to call Nissan or wait for the law suit to end which he said if Nissan doesn't protest it more should be in March 2020. I called Nissan because I couldn't wait that long. They cam back and need me to take the car back to the dealer for them to take the transmission apart so they can take pictures of the I side of it. Two days later dealership calls back saying Nissan will discount the cost front $4,000 and total out of pocket for me would be around $609. I paid it and I'm hoping that the law suit will allow me to get reimbursed for the cost, but I'm not holding my breath. The car is paid off and I'm hoping it will give at least a couple more years then no more Nissan for me. View attachment 17413
I have a 2014 Note and mine went out on me in the pouring rain 3 hours away from home. My car is paid off I can’t afford to fix it. 74k miles. This is unbelievable. I haven’t tried to call Nissan here but I’ll try this coming week and see what they say

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2014 Note and mine went out on me in the pouring rain 3 hours away from home. My car is paid off I can’t afford to fix it. 74k miles. This is unbelievable. I haven’t tried to call Nissan here but I’ll try this coming week and see what they say
Amanda, other than the hassle, you should be OK on this. Keep us posted on how you make out with Nissan. You might have to pay a few hundred $ in the end, but that's not bad considering the vehicle is 6yrs old w/ 74K miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Amanda, other than the hassle, you should be OK on this. Keep us posted on how you make out with Nissan. You might have to pay a few hundred $ in the end, but that's not bad considering the vehicle is 6yrs old w/ 74K miles.
Problem is is that the suit settlement isn't finalized so unless Nissan agrees to fix it she'll have to pay out of pocket then be reimbursed when the suit is settled. Who knows when that will be?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts