Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2015 cvt just died with 81k miles, I did not get a letter saying I was covered in this suit, I called the dealer and they said not under warranty, a disposable car wtf I am disgusted with Nissan, never again!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2015 cvt just died with 81k miles, I did not get a letter saying I was covered in this suit, I called the dealer and they said not under warranty, a disposable car wtf I am disgusted with Nissan, never again!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2015 cvt just died with 81k miles, I did not get a letter saying I was covered in this suit, I called the dealer and they said not under warranty, a disposable car, I am disgusted with Nissan, never again!

·
Registered
158 Posts
T
My 2015 cvt just died with 81k miles, I did not get a letter saying I was covered in this suit, I called the dealer and they said not under warranty, a disposable car, I am disgusted with Nissan, never again!
The class action suit hasn't been settled yet. Once it's settled I'd think you could get reimbursed for the repair. At 81K you're just under the 7yr./84K mile cut off for the extended warranty. Here are a couple links with info and details. You may want to read them it mentions filing a claim to receive reimbursment. Nissan Transmission Class Action Settlement | Top Class Actions

I doubt dealers are handing out much information. I'd contact Nissan USA about this to see if I couldn't get some help. If you bought the car used it's a posibility you didn't receive a notice because Nissan wasn't aware of where the car was and who owned it. Regardless of whether you got a notice or not 2015's are included in the class action suit. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
T

The class action suit hasn't been settled yet. Once it's settled I'd think you could get reimbursed for the repair. At 81K you're just under the 7yr./84K mile cut off for the extended warranty. Here are a couple links with info and details. You may want to read them it mentions filing a claim to receive reimbursment. Nissan Transmission Class Action Settlement | Top Class Actions

I doubt dealers are handing out much information. I'd contact Nissan USA about this to see if I couldn't get some help. If you bought the car used it's a posibility you didn't receive a notice because Nissan wasn't aware of where the car was and who owned it. Regardless of whether you got a notice or not 2015's are included in the class action suit. Good luck!
Thanks I did buy it used, I tried to make a clain on that site, but you had to have already paid for the repairs, which I haven't, it just died the other day.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks I did buy it used, I tried to make a clain on that site, but you had to have already paid for the repairs, which I haven't, it just died the other day.
I'm interested to know how this goes for you. I checked the class action website today for an update since the suit was due to reach a conclusion today in court.
I'm in the same sinking boat, 2015 SV note with 80,040 when the CVT gave up the ghost after getting off the interstate. Went from hero to zero from cruising speed to the stoplight. barf. It's barely driveable sometimes (seems better cold than hot) and I got it towed 120 miles back to where I live last weekend (thanks AAA) after I had to stop and buy another used car in another city for work Monday (joyful weekend).

The way i'm understanding it, the people who have paid for repair will get a reimbursement up to something south of $5k. And the warranty will be extended to 84,000 miles. So we should be good! under [a new extended] warranty! without having to fork out of pocket and then seek the reimbursement!

I'm in Cincinnati and will update since I'll drop it at the dealer next week with some print offs of the class action suit. As I understand it, even previously when a dealer would attempt to "fix" the affected CVTs under the original warranty, Nissan North America would overrule them and order a full replacement of the CVT. So the dealer should be getting paid by NNA for the service work and fight the customer less after today. Foot dragging might be expected. This is the first time I've dealt with such an issue since we usually go Honda.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm interested to know how this goes for you. I checked the class action website today for an update since the suit was due to reach a conclusion today in court.
I'm in the same sinking boat, 2015 SV note with 80,040 when the CVT gave up the ghost after getting off the interstate. Went from hero to zero from cruising speed to the stoplight. barf. It's barely driveable sometimes (seems better cold than hot) and I got it towed 120 miles back to where I live last weekend (thanks AAA) after I had to stop and buy another used car in another city for work Monday (joyful weekend).

The way i'm understanding it, the people who have paid for repair will get a reimbursement up to something south of $5k. And the warranty will be extended to 84,000 miles. So we should be good! under [a new extended] warranty! without having to fork out of pocket and then seek the reimbursement!

I'm in Cincinnati and will update since I'll drop it at the dealer next week with some print offs of the class action suit. As I understand it, even previously when a dealer would attempt to "fix" the affected CVTs under the original warranty, Nissan North America would overrule them and order a full replacement of the CVT. So the dealer should be getting paid by NNA for the service work and fight the customer less after today. Foot dragging might be expected. This is the first time I've dealt with such an issue since we usually go Honda.
I ended up buying a newer truck, have to get to work, no time to mess with this bs right now but I didnt trade the Versa in, I am waiting on my new AAA to become active so I can tow it to get it looked at, I am not going to spend $4000 to fix it, so I am not sure what I am going to do. Sounds like bs that I have to pay to fix it and they might reimburse me, screw that, they messed up, they should do whats right!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2014 Versa note is sitting at the dealership right now. They claim the settlement hasn't been finalized but the lawsuit website says a settlement has been reached and the final court date was March 6. They offered me to replace the transmission for 20% of cost provided I also did other work with them to "prove to Nissan that I want to take care of my car." They were supposed to email me a breakdown of all the costs but didnt.

total quote over the phone was $2,200 to include the CVT, front brakes (he said those were $350), engine mount sagging and front axels to be replaced.

If the lawsuit was finalized on Friday shouldn't the transmission be covered 100% not 80%? I'm at 70,000 miles. Am I reading the lawsuit page wrong?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2014 Versa note is sitting at the dealership right now. They claim the settlement hasn't been finalized but the lawsuit website says a settlement has been reached and the final court date was March 6. They offered me to replace the transmission for 20% of cost provided I also did other work with them to "prove to Nissan that I want to take care of my car." They were supposed to email me a breakdown of all the costs but didnt.

total quote over the phone was $2,200 to include the CVT, front brakes (he said those were $350), engine mount sagging and front axels to be replaced.

If the lawsuit was finalized on Friday shouldn't the transmission be covered 100% not 80%? I'm at 70,000 miles. Am I reading the lawsuit page wrong?
Thats what the dealer told me as well, that it wasnt final, they are just playing dumb so people miss the deadline of the end of this month, the way I read it. Why should I have to pay, to (maybe) be reimbursed?

·
Registered
158 Posts

You don't have to get other work done through Nissan to get the transmission replaced. Yes,as I remember from reading the lawsuit information a few months ago the transmission replacement is supposed to be covered 100% at a Nissan dealer or up the a certain dollar amount at an independent garage. If it were me I would not have brakes or motor mounts done at the dealership. I'd have that work done at an independent garage where the cost will likely be considerably less. It sounds to me as if the dealership trying to make an extra 20% above and beyond what Nissan pays them to do the warranty work and are trying to convince you you have to get other work done in order to secure the transmission repair. Maybe you could find a phone number for the attorneys that handled the class action on the internet and find out whether or not they have made a settlement yet. Don't give in to their BS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I went and picked up my car today. $160 for a car wash ? because of course they charged me the diagnostic fee. Also told me Nissan wouldn't honor the 20% price at a later date if I took my car off the lot. It just seemed to get shadier and shadier. Especially now the litigation website has updated to confirm it's settled just not effective until the court writes out the "order." It feels like they were trying to overcharge me on other stuff to get it in before that is effective. Even if I could get the 20% back from the settlement, that's $1500 of extra work they could overcharge me on.

I'll be going to a different dealership once the warranty extension is effective.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll be going to a different dealership once the warranty extension is effective.
Nissan will cover the cost up to a certain amount at an independent and at this point is probably what I'd do. Let a few thousand dollars come out of their pocket instead of them only having to pay one of their own mechanics a few dollars an hour.

·
Registered
46 Posts
P2765: Input/Turbine Speed Sensor B Circuit OBD-II Trouble Code
This is the code I am getting, maybe its not the cvt, its could be a sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
update from Cincinnati: the local dealer on the east side has been really great in trying to get me taken care of. I was able to get a loaner car while they diagnosed the problem and went back and forth with NNA. I will be taking my car there for the replacement when the time comes (actually I might leave the car there, it's no good to me as it is.)
Since the class action has until May 11 to be contested, NNA is dragging feet and gave me an 80% offer to fix the CVT for $4100 (my share $820). Since I have another car already, I'm going to wait until May and see if their tune changes.
The dealer also told me one of the engine codes was for the catalytic converter, which needed replaced. The warranty for that was up until 80k miles and I'm at 80,055 so NNA politely declined to cover it. (cheap charlie rats.) The dealer quote for that is $1200. The part online is $200. I'm going to find a shop to do it since it will be with the new CVT in May/June. (If it were $300-400 I'd have the dealer do it. I don't know what the current scrap rate is on one but I know they get stolen plenty especially on SUVs/trucks where people can crawl under them with a sawsall jsyk.)

Things NNA needs from us in order to start and process claims:
-call 800 Nissan 1 (800 647 7261), then press option 7
-they will establish a claim number
-get an official dealer diagnosis of the issue
-list the service advisor's name
-make sure the diagnosis includes whether it is a repair or replace order
-estimated cost
The dealer is responsible for video disassembly and proof of the issue whether it's additional photos, parts kept & sent in, oil collected, etc. The last rep mentioned this but it's not my responsibility to comply with this portion of the claim. I mention this here in case someone will still be taking the CVT to a 3rd party shop. They need to cover their bases or you might not get reimbursed for the repair. (bean counters!)
In my case, the dealer did almost all the coordination. They have a separate phone number to reach NNA at than the customers do so some checking back from NNA will happen. One of the early reps told me I needed to produce the maintenance history of the car to determine that I took care of it like oil changes etc. I tracked down a bunch but never heard that requested afterwards. (She was specific to mention that they understood not everyone hits 5000 miles on the nose every time. Maybe this is their secret recipe number they like to see in maintenance logs. Who knows. The dealer did mention while I was there a guy had just come in with a blown engine seeking a warranty claim but had receipts for only 3 oil changes so it did not look good for his case. I do my own oil changes so, whoopty! That reminds me I need to order oil analysis kits in the future. But I've never encountered this issue in the past.)
I didn't know the price until the case rep called me to offer the 80/20 scenario. I just listened and said that I understood the offer. I asked if he was aware of the class action suit, he was. I said "ok," and that was pretty much the end of the polite call. I have his name and number still. I would keep a record of each reps name and date/time of call as well. (bases. covered.)
The bean counters appear to have decided to abide by the letter of the law and not fully spring for CVTs until the ink is dry. I can wait 60 days to save $800.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The dealer also told me one of the engine codes was for the catalytic converter, which needed replaced. The warranty for that was up until 80k miles and I'm at 80,055 so NNA politely declined to cover it.cheap charlie rats.

One of the early reps told me I needed to produce the maintenance history of the car to determine that I took care of it like oil changes etc. I tracked down a bunch but never heard that requested afterwards. (She was specific to mention that they understood not everyone hits 5000 miles on the nose every time. Maybe this is their secret recipe number they like to see in maintenance logs. Who knows.

The bean counters appear to have decided to abide by the letter of the law and not fully spring for CVTs until the ink is dry. I can wait 60 days to save $800.
Sometimes codes that seem to point to a possible bad catalytic converter turns out to be nothing more than a bad downstream 02 sensor. I'm not sure what a new 02 sensor costs for a Versa but it might be worth a try. Do you know the code that showed up on the scanner?

What does oil changes have to do with the transmission? Yes, they could disqualify engine warranty work if you went over 5K on an oil change since this is the Nissan recommended oil change interval and is how their service booklet is written. I bought my Versa used with 10K miles and a rebuilt title. I also do my own oil changes and use oil that I bought years ago and has been in my garage ever since therefore no receipts. When I bought the car I called Nissan and Nissan said they wouldn't cover my car under warranty because of the rebuilt title but, I received a post card saying I was included in the extended CVT warranty. If I have a problem with my CVT and they try to deny it I'll show them the card that I received and if they still don't want to honor it I'll likely be speaking to an attorney. Maybe even trying to get in contact with the attorneys that handled the class action. I kept the postcard and put it in the glove compartment with the rest of the car information just in case.

80/20 is nothing more than corporate BS and their way of getting use of your money until the settlement is finalized. I'm glad you're in a position where you can afford to wait, an option not everyone has and they also can't afford $820.

Keep us informed of how it goes when the settlement is reached and you get your car repaired.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts