Nissan Versa Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took the car in only once for an oil change only because they had a sale for $10. I do the oil change myself too but that was much cheaper than I could have done it for. That sucks that Nissan is not at least offering the same price for an issue that they knew about for a long time. Now with this virus thing going on I'm sure the lawsuit will be delayed. First and last Nissan for me too.
Yeahp, Last nissan for me and I will drive everyone i know away from purchasing a nissan in the future. Like you said, its a well documented issue with the transmission.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would put a small share of blame on the people who keep buying Nissans with a cr*p CVT. Sure, if you lease or keep trading in your ride before a powertrain warranty is over, then it does not matter. But if you buy your car to keep it for a long haul, then do a due diligence and do a research before you drop a pretty penny.

If more people do just that and stop giving their business to a company who was well aware of this problem with CVT for a long time, but does nothing to fix it, and keeps screwing their customers, then the free market would take care of it and either forced Nissan to clean up its act, or forced it out of business. It would be a choice that Nissan itself will have to make.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would put a small share of blame on the people who keep buying Nissans with a cr*p CVT. Sure, if you lease or keep trading in your ride before a powertrain warranty is over, then it does not matter. But if you buy your car to keep it for a long haul, then do a due diligence and do a research before you drop a pretty penny.

If more people do just that and stop giving their business to a company who was well aware of this problem with CVT for a long time, but does nothing to fix it, and keeps screwing their customers, then the free market would take care of it and either forced Nissan to clean up its act, or forced it out of business. It would be a choice that Nissan itself will have to make.
Yes, it is a BUYER BEWARE first, and then decide. I calculated the extremely low purchase price (bought brand new 2015 in spring 2016); discounted substantially to "get it off the lot". Via GEICO insurance, bought the extra MBI coverage, (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) to extend the CVT warranty in particular. Did the CVT fluid change based on age of fluid, not my very low mileage. And thought worse case, if I have to replace CVT out of my pocket, will make the vehicle price back to as if full retail.

HOWEVER ... will say under calculated the continued stress of owning a vehicle that is vulnerable. Like having a low grade fever LOL Another concern, the "new" CVT replacement is no more reliable than the original factory CVT.

MAYBE the class action will be the ace in the whole ... whenever finally effective.

BOTTOM LINE ... Would I do it all over again? NO. (Even though otherwise, I am satisfied with the vehicle) Just my opinion ...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thought I'd share this. The class action suit has been settled and repairs can begin on 5/11/2020.

Final approval was made on 3/10/2020.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's nice to read that, but unless you get a postcard from Nissan or a Nissan service department can back this, this ~84mo ~84K mile extension thing is worthless.

I do feel for those effected by this crap. That would be the end of Nissan for me as well. Luckily the few times I've used my Nissan dealer for service, they've been fair and decent to deal with. I've even gotten some things covered out of warranty.

Some of the shady things I read above, like them only honoring a heavily discounted price on a CVT replacement if you agreed to pay for a brake job, etc. is nonsense. I would have escalated that and made it my mission in life to shut them down had they pulled that move with me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good luck with that, it is rooted in the Nissan's corporate culture.
What I said has nothing to do with corporate. The window into Nissan world (like any make/model) is through your dealership. In my case, my Nissan dealer is part of a huge local dealer group that sells every make/model. Last thing they want is bad press.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good to hear! The problems with the CVT trans is why I bought a 5sp manual with my 2016 Versa S sedan. Plus it's fun to drive. But really good news for those of you with the CVT.
When I found out about the potential problems of the CVT I decided to buy a 2020 5-speed Versa.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unfortunately, the 5MTs haven't proved to be all that much better. I've read a few posts of throw out bearing issues, slave cylinder issues., etc..

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 versa note transmission just went out last week. I've been reading that people got a letter saying the warranty was extended but when I went to Nissan they told be the law suit is still pending. I only have 57000 miles the factory warranty 5 years 60,000 miles. I did not get the extended warranty because I done drive that much and all my cars had last well over 10 years for me, Darn CVT. So my option they told me was to call Nissan or wait for the law suit to end which he said if Nissan doesn't protest it more should be in March 2020. I called Nissan because I couldn't wait that long. They cam back and need me to take the car back to the dealer for them to take the transmission apart so they can take pictures of the I side of it. Two days later dealership calls back saying Nissan will discount the cost front $4,000 and total out of pocket for me would be around $609. I paid it and I'm hoping that the law suit will allow me to get reimbursed for the cost, but I'm not holding my breath. The car is paid off and I'm hoping it will give at least a couple more years then no more Nissan for me. View attachment 17413
I also have a 2014 versa note. I had the extended warrant I purchased. So if they gave 60 month 2 more years them yy 72 month should get 2 yrs too. But of course I'm getting the run around. We took the car someplace and had it read for codes. Go figure the only problem is the CVT.Nissan really needs to correct this problem. And be fair to all consumers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2014 versa note. And of course My CVT is trash. I purchased the longer warranty than 60 month. If that was extended 2 yrs mine should be extended 2yrs too.Be fair Nissan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a 2014 versa note. I had the extended warrant I purchased. So if they gave 60 month 2 more years them yy 72 month should get 2 yrs too. But of course I'm getting the run around. We took the car someplace and had it read for codes. Go figure the only problem is the CVT.Nissan really needs to correct this problem. And be fair to all consumers.
Im lucky so far2016 140,000 miles.. just starting to act up a little.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts