Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the warranty on CVT transmissions transfers to new owners? I bought my 08 hatch used and it has a problem with the CVT. It will shutter going down the road and lock into one ratio and the speedo with drop to 0 even if I'm doing 60. I have to shut the car off and crank it back up to fix it but then it kills my cruise control til I park it for a few hours. Its only got 90000 miles so its still under warranty but will that warranty transfer to me?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
876 Posts
Its only got 90000 miles so its still under warranty but will that warranty transfer to me?

Warranty:

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle.

Nissan CVT Warranty Extension

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wouldn't be entirely sure that's the CVT. What you're describing could easily be a bad crank sensor signal. An engine's RPM signal comes from the crank sensor, not the transmission. So while it may still be the trans, there's at least an equal chance that it's a $50 sensor, instead of a $3000 transmission.

I know in Audi and VW vehicles, when the crank sensor goes it shuts down the instrument cluster and cuts response to the gas pedal, all without throwing a code. There's a reason for that, but it's long and complicated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yea, i saw your other thread after i posted. least they're taking care of it, even if they are being clumsy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it back this morning. HUGE difference. Before I took it in it had a tendency to almost stall (rpm drop big time) once it hit 20, as well as having a vibration when braking from 60-40 and the tpms light was always on. Now it does none of that and the tpms light is finally off. It feels like a new car, now that the trans is working as it should.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.