Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the CVTz50 app to read the CVTF deterioration date on the Nissan Versa. I got a reading of
Method 1: 7,227
Method 2: 115,637

Method 1 = is applicatible if cvtf deterioration counter is slowly increases when CVT tempoerature is above 50C (122F).
Method 2 = is applicatible if cvtf deteroriation counter never increase until CVT temperature reaches 90C (194F).

The car is driven in the short distances, but sometimes in hot weather. However the distance is usually less than 10 miles, so I don't expect the cvt would heat up a lot? Which method should I used? I believe that we should change if cvtf deterioration counter is over 210,000.

Another piece of information, the car is 7 years old but only has 17,000 miles. I contacted Nissan, who suggest that we don't need to change cvt fluid until the mileage on the schedule is reached.

I am thinking that we should change the cvt if the follow condition occurs
1. The car goes over 30K. 60K is the schedule, but I am trying to be conservative.
2. The cvtf deteroration date goes over 210,000 either method 1 or 2.
3. The car is over 10 years old, thinking that perhaps after 10 years, there may be some breakdown on the fluid.

What do you think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use the CVTz50 app to read the CVTF deterioration date on the Nissan Versa. I got a reading of
Method 1: 7,227
Method 2: 115,637

Method 1 = is applicatible if cvtf deterioration counter is slowly increases when CVT tempoerature is above 50C (122F).
Method 2 = is applicatible if cvtf deteroriation counter never increase until CVT temperature reaches 90C (194F).

The car is driven in the short distances, but sometimes in hot weather. However the distance is usually less than 10 miles, so I don't expect the cvt would heat up a lot? Which method should I used? I believe that we should change if cvtf deterioration counter is over 210,000.

Another piece of information, the car is 7 years old but only has 17,000 miles. I contacted Nissan, who suggest that we don't need to change cvt fluid until the mileage on the schedule is reached.

I am thinking that we should change the cvt if the follow condition occurs
1. The car goes over 30K. 60K is the schedule, but I am trying to be conservative.
2. The cvtf deteroration date goes over 210,000 either method 1 or 2.
3. The car is over 10 years old, thinking that perhaps after 10 years, there may be some breakdown on the fluid.

What do you think?
im convinced the killer of cvt's was heat...most drivers race from light to light...and floor it on hills...id just drain and fill every 20,000 miles if i could start over...and not worry about it.. im at 170,000 miles so far so good..but i drive and use my cvt like a grandma..like the old saying..egg on the pedal...press the gas pedal too hard and break the egg....dont. just my opinion.. i live in the western usa and its hot..in colder climates the fluid may last longer

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm changing the fluid and both filters on my '16 every 30K miles. There's a normal screen type filter in the pan and a cartridge filter for the valve body on the left side of the transmission up near the front of the transmission that can be accessed through the drivers side fender well by loosening the fender liner. With Nissan's CVT track record I'm not taking unnecessary chances.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm changing the fluid and both filters on my '16 every 30K miles. There's a normal screen type filter in the pan and a cartridge filter for the valve body on the left side of the transmission up near the front of the transmission that can be accessed through the drivers side fender well by loosening the fender liner. With Nissan's CVT track record I'm not taking unnecessary chances.
👍🏿

·
Registered
353 Posts
Given the relative ease the CVT fluid can be drained and refilled on these, I see no reason not to do it given the age of the vehicle and the failure rate of these particular CVTs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts