Nissan Versa Forums banner

Dash Lights not Turning on with Headlights

11K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  GoodKid 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I drive a 2015 Versa Note S and recently replaced the stock instrument cluster with a cluster from a 2017 Versa Note SR -- and yes, I'm aware replacing clusters is just asking for problems lol but so far everything works flawlessly, the only two issues so far is that mileage is stored in the cluster (so it's displaying about a 7K mile difference) and now my interior dash lighting (head unit, A/C knobs and buttons, steering wheel buttons, etc) won't illuminate when I turn either my running lights or headlights on. The cluster itself remains lit (and I'm still able to adjust the brightness), no issues there, just the remaining lights in my cabin won't. Oh, and when I turn on my headlights the head unit display dims -- it remains on, however the orange light dims. So if anything turning on my headlights makes my cabin darker.

Does anyone know why this is, preferably in a more detailed response than "I'm just not supposed to put in that cluster?" I would love any help -- and even any work-arounds would be great, such as how to make the interior lighting turn on at engine start instead of having to turn on my headlights.

Again, thanks in advance to anyone with any advice or knowledge to share.

Original Cluster / Dash Lighting:

New Cluster (Headlights Off):

New Cluster (Headlights On):

See less See more
#5 ·
It's been about two years and I've finally gotten around to fixing it. Keith Wagner was 100% right. The MWI section contained the wiring diagrams for both the type A and type B clusters, and comparing the two the only thing that needed to be adjusted was a single pin.

On the original Type A cluster, the interior illumination wire is pin 13.
For the Type B cluster, the wire is pin 16.

Luckily, in both cases the opposing pin isn't being used. So to fix the interior lighting, all one has to do is move pin 13 to pin 16 to fix the interior lighting issue.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.