Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everybody. I own a 2010 Nissan Versa sedan, after someone recently installing an aftermarket stereo into the vehicle I haven't been able to get my dashboard lights to work properly.For brief periods of time whenever I turn the headlight switch from off to the on position, the dash board lights will sometimes turn off as I'm switching the headlights on, however sometimes it manages to stay on consistently but when it does work, the dimmer switch won't function and I have no control over dimming the instrument lights. During the aftermarket radio installation the original male wire harness that was behind the stereo was cut out rendering all of the wires exposed and likely to touch each other. After they spent hours trying to decode the old wire colors and new wire colors at least a couple fuses were blown and there was no longer power running through the 12v constant, the tail parking lights(the break lights still worked fine) and the dash board lights including where the thermostat is located, no longer lit up making it near impossible to tell my speed after it gets dark. After replacing the fuse to the tail lights, as well as the fuse for the 12v constant for the stereo, I restored power to those things. However I'm having difficulty finding one if any fuses for the dashboard or dim switch. I've tried adjusting my dim switch in both directions so I know it can't be because the dim switch is off. After hooking a multimeter up to what I believed to be the Illumination wire (orange with a grey stripe) to a ground the ground sparked and the dashboard lit up again. For now it maintains in the on position at all times, but I'd like to restore function to my dimming switch and eliminate the worry of any wires/fuses being melted or blown by improper wiring currently or in the near future.

TIA - The Car Noob.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Did you pay a shop to do the install? If so I'd drop the car off at the dealership to get it fixed and send the first shop the bill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it wasn't done by a shop otherwise I would have taken it in and gotten it fixed already. After grounding that illumination wire yesterday, the fuse to the tail lights blew again. After inserting a new fuse the dash lights now turn off when I shift the headlights to on. This makes me curious if my dimming switch was fried in the process or if it is the wires themselves crossing somewhere due to a melted wire. It'd be much easier just to replace the dimmer switch than having to take it into a shop and having to pay someone to replace the entire wire harness (as helpful as that'd be at this point). Unfortunately by this point that may not even be an option. But I'd still rather try and find a way to test my dimming switch to see if that's the underlying cause.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello;

I have a 2007 versa and have the same issue, dashboard is not lighting up, everything else works fine, I suppose is a fuse controlling the dimmer and the light but can not find anything wrong on the fuse box, any Ideas?
Honestly I am not confident to drive the car during the night without knowing the speed I'm driving.

Thanks
Egaro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.