Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllo, I have a 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 with a P0420 code showing as current and pending. I’m in California and I have a lovely CEL that won’t pass smog obviously. I’ve been trying to pinpoint the issue. I did some data streams of the oxygen sensors and freeze frames of fails. I’m new to data stream read outs so any help is appreciated. 🙃

Oxygen sensor
Parked with engine on

On the expressway

Few freeze frames of fails

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
79 Posts
I'm not well educated with the data you posted, but I did have a GM car with a P0420 code. I used the spark plug anti-fouler trick (on the downstream oxygen sensor) to test my catalytic converter. This method may not be legal in your state.

After resetting my ECM/PCM, the P0420 did not come back which confirmed that my catalytic converter was shot. I was able to get one fairly cheap off of ebay. I am NOT in a CARB certified state.

Being in California, you are probably going to have to purchase a CARB certified converter or OE converter (if it is bad). I am sorry!

Just out of curiosity, how many mile on your Versa??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it’s around 154,000 and I was watching the exhaust pipe and might have seen some black smoke but very little and no rotten egg smell. When you rev the engine though you can hear that odd noise so maybe it’s plugged? No worries if it needs to be changed so be it.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
79 Posts
I've had two vehicles that had bad catalytic converters, both rattled. Like someone rattling chains underneath the car, especially at higher rpms.

I can't remember any black smoke, though...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts