Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delrin is a hard plastic that is generally easy to work with. It would not wear, and would be basically the same as a solid mount. Although i feel it would isolate harmful frequencies better in a way that metal can't, and maybe reduce transfer to body/cabin better than a solid mount. I can get solid blocks of Delrin at Forest City Surplus here in London. All except the right hand hydraulic mount could be replaced with Delrin, they are all in need of something stiffer. This would eliminate movement and be rather cheap considering you are just removing the rubber. I would have to get a tranny mount out of a Versa to see how that would be to replace with Delrin, although i suspect simply a matter of comparing height and width dimensions and duplicating it. That mount works like this, the stud going through the rubber mount is attached to the tranny, and the mount bracket is attached to a bracket which is therefore attached to the frame rail. The rubber moves way too much which of course can cause binding in splines and CV joints during high load or aggressive shifting creating erratic power transmission and stress points.

Just my thoughts on it. I don't have access to CNC but i could probably rig up a jig with router to cut them out if anyone else wanted to try it out. Provided i have success in my own car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd be worried that the Delrinn would be too brittle.

Never know till you try it though, and the worst that happens is one puck breaks and it clunks a lot as you limp it back home.

I know a lot of folks will use hockey pucks for a nice cheap mount as well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be worried that the Delrinn would be too brittle.

Never know till you try it though, and the worst that happens is one puck breaks and it clunks a lot as you limp it back home.

I know a lot of folks will use hockey pucks for a nice cheap mount as well.
The torque mounts are not an issue, won't break with interference fit on a Delrin replacement. The transmission to body and right hydraulic mount could be an issue for using Delrin, under high and sudden load it may not be durable enough to take the abuse like rubber does. For those i may use polyurethane. I don't see why you couldn't make a mould out of a stock mount and simply use two part polyurethane to duplicate it, it also has a plate that secures it to the bracket and therefore chassis, but that could be made and inserted into the mould i'm sure.

Reactions: rstolz
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.