Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come from the Nissan Micra community. The Micra shares a bunch of parts with the Versa including the 1.6L HR16DE engine.

I am currently in the middle of developing a MAF sensor housing for custom intakes. I figured that you guys would also be interested in this info, so I am posting here as well as on the Micra forum that I'm a part of.

Why is this part needed? The OEM MAF sensor housing is molded into the airbox. If you want to make a custom air intake (without spending hundreds on a brand name one), you would have to cut up the airbox to do so. So, you get a new airbox from Nissan which costs a fair amount, and then you have to hack it up. The much easier solution? A purpose built custom MAF sensor housing that drops right in.

I started the design process with a stock OEM airbox so I could measure it up. If you don't have the same internal and other critical dimension it will throw off the MAF sensor readings and thus throw off how much fuel is injected and possibly even throw a CEL.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Well, this is something I use to do to cars and I normally went for a K&N CAI. I later discovered the pockets, bladders, deflectors, baffles, etc were used to regular noise and to give a broader "flat" torque curve. Granted removing those things to make a straight shot to the TB did increase peak power it did so at the expense of lower end power.

Then of course the filter was another story. My last cone shape K&N filter I could see through. When I went through the top end of my engine it was like the inside of the intake to the head was sandblasted.

Having said that its always puzzled me why with economy cars the intake is almost twice the size of the exhaust diameter. Maybe the heated air takes half as much space to exit vs enter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the Injen cold air intake actually seems to improve torque through the entire rpm range, or nearly so. Here is a before/after dyno graph from their testing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks arudlang. I was hoping there would be some interested people over here. :)

Moving along with the design, I have the first draft of the MAF housing drawn up in the CAD program I use. To model it up, I measured all the critical dimensions of the OEM airbox housing, and transferred them to the 3d model. I used a digital caliper to ensure good accuracy. I'm sure it'll need some tweaking, but this is the general idea. The arrow indicates the direction of airflow through the housing.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Im all for MORE POWER if not MORE MPG. >:D You can prove it works Ill buy one.

I was reading somewhere where this guy used a brake duct blower like a mini supercharger and actually got some gains in power and mpg. I know people say the electric superchargers are junk, but a real supercharger doesnt put out that high of CFM in relation to what you can achieve with a fan or blower. For a small displacement engine at low rpms you will build some psi. Just got to over come what ever the issue is on the cars that lack a MAP sensor and can not tell if you go from a vacuum to positive psi.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/allstar-performance-inline-duct-blowers

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
If 3d printing isnt too expensive I would mind an engine cover/heat shield to cover the intake runners. I hate the fact it looks like we are missing one when you look under the hood.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like a viable part! How will you produce the first prototype? With a 3D printer?
You got it! I actually got around to it the other night. It did take quite a while to print. The two parts took a total of over 7 hours. This isn't horrible, but I'd definitely like to improve upon that for future runs. Also, the part fit up was not great at all. I had to do some shaving to get them to come together nicely. Future versions will also need to fix this problem. So, its not perfect, but I'm sure it would work on a car as is right now.

Here are some pictures of the first prototype!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Whats the end game plan? Are you going to make these your sell and sell em? Sell the plans and leave it to the user to find someone to print it? Are you using the 3d printer for a prototype then using vacuum forming to make end units?

Wish I knew someone to make some insulator/spacers for the intake and TB of my sidekick. :wink

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll see how it goes. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in it thus far, so I'll probably just print them to order for now. If I'm pleasantly surprised and proven wrong, I'll figure out what to do then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I took some time to optimize the part for 3d printing a bit better. It cuts out some unnecessary material, and in general looks better. This should make it print cleaner, faster, and it should be easier to assemble. All in all, that'll make it cheaper as well.

Here is the new version:

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
So, this is a short ram WAI that clamps onto the TB and a cone air filter to the other end?

Im more of a fan of CAI. Ive even gone as far as to insulate the whole intake manifold. >:D

Ive purchased some of that silver 1x2 foot self adhesive heat reflective insulation to put on the intake runners of the versa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This isn't a WAI or CAI. It is the part that allows you to make a WAI or CAI. You put this on the end of the throttle body and you can connect whatever pipe you want WAI or CAI, its a part that you need to make either of them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Awesome to see the first prototype come to life so quickly! 3D printers are great for that. What material will you be using? ABS?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cobb said:
Im more of a fan of CAI. Ive even gone as far as to insulate the whole intake manifold.
Wouldn't that just trap more heat inside? Might help gas mileage a fuzz but seems dubious in the power department, if something that cheap worked OEMs everywhere would be doing it, no?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome to see the first prototype come to life so quickly! 3D printers are great for that. What material will you be using? ABS?
Thanks!

Yeah, 3d printers are great for getting complicated parts made up pretty quickly. I sure wouldn't like having to send this out to a shop or fab it myself in the garage!

You're correct, I am using ABS.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Awwww. Thanks for sharing.

Reason I asked what I did was the fact you are in Canada and exchanging car parts by mail is rather expensive. I use to deal with the guy who does suzuki parts and mods. Sending him a paper clip was 100 bucks. Sending anyone else in the US 1 ounce worth of paper clips is under 50 cents. :surprise

arudlang it kept the air sucked in cooler and less influence from the under hood temps. I watched the timing and felt the ass dyno. I also diverted the coolant circuit that went to the TB. My sidekick has 2 circuits. Im wrapping that mutha in exhaust wrap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
4 Participants
Daox
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing