Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 hatchback last week with 34 miles and Im reading all these failed #3 cylinder problems with the 1.8. Did they ever rectify the problem or is it still there? This is very alarming as i never read anything about it on the reviews. And ill drop this thing off at nissan if thats the case.

·
Registered
656 Posts
ive had my 2011 since jan 2011 and im over 48k and not a single engine problem

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Mine makes a bit of tick noise, gone in less than one minute, couple minutes at minus twenty. 211000km still cruisin, i change oil w synthetic every 10000km. Welcome!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had my 2010 Versa for 3 years, 25,000 miles and engine is fine. Zero engine problems.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Mistake? Possibly if you are one of the unlucky ones and your engine explodes. But dealers seam to be pretty good at replacing the engines under warranty.

It's too common for my liking seeing these engines die. Even one guy had a new 1.6 crap out. But if you consider how many of these cars nissan sells I would think it's a small amount of failures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 2012 hatchback last week with 34 miles and Im reading all these failed #3 cylinder problems with the 1.8. Did they ever rectify the problem or is it still there? This is very alarming as i never read anything about it on the reviews. And ill drop this thing off at nissan if thats the case.
I just had the short block in my 2009 Versa S Hatch Back replaced about a month ago. I bought this vehicle used with about 82k miles on it. It had EVERY receipt for maintenance and oil changes since new in the glove box (thank goodness....this WAS a God send later on).

About 2 months after buying it I noticed an ever so slight ticking noise on cold start up. My first thought was that it must need a valve adjustment (this was before reading the shop manual and doing a bit or research). I mentioned this to my local Nissan service manager while I was there to have some extra keys programed to the vehicle. To my shock and dismay the service manager gave me the stink eye and said there ain't no valve adjustment. After a brief discussion about the noise, he said the 1.8 liter Nissan engine has a well known history for #3 cylinder piston slap and timing chain problems. He asked me to bring the car back late in the evening the next week so they could start it up first thing in the morning.

It was the #3 piston. :8:

He recommended that I call Nissan customer support and use the magic words COST SHARE and ask for assistance by offering to pay for the labor if Nissan covered all the parts. I did this. Nissan requested that I fax them ALL 38 maintenance receipts, which I did. Nissan called back and agreed to cover the cost of all parts if I paid the labor.

My cost was just under $1,100 with tax. I will have to say that Nissan DID step up to the plate and do the right thing but I am NOT happy about having to fork out over a grand to get my daughter's car back on the road and reliable. Under the circumstances, I consider myself VERY fortunate and think Nissan is a good company but the Versa is NOT a very good quality vehicle. In addition to the engine problem, little things like the door arm rest material pull loose from the door, the remote electric side view mirrors strip out and will not fully adjust, and I am now told by the service manager that if I want this engine to last, to change the oil and filter EVERY 3750 miles.

The fact that they recommend this tells that there IS still a problem with this engine. With an oil change schedule like that, my Versa will use more oil than BOTH of my Cummins 5.9 Turbo pickups do. Basically for most drivers, that would mean an oil and filter change about every other month. With synthetic oil, the book says this interval can be extended to 5,000 miles.

After this oil change I will be going to synthetic and a Baldwin B1431 oil filter which is a 4 inch long filter but of the same other dimensions as the OEM filter. We'll see how it goes. This works out great as this filter can also be used on the Honda 2.4 liter engine which we have in both of our Honda Elements.

Take my comments with a bag or two of salt as I think I got REALLY spoiled with working on our Honda Elements. My daughter likes this Versa S for some reason. :rolleyes5: So it looks like we'll be keeping it. After this much maintenace to include what looks like fairly recently replace brake pads & shoes alround, and I just performs a transmission oil change, it will hopefully be a good and reliable car.

My last Nissan was a 1986 Pulsar NXSE. I bought it while assigned to Germany. It could burry the speedo and pull hard all the way up to 7,200 rpm in 5th gear on the autobahn before they put all the speed limits up. It had its share of problems but I drove it 186,000+ miles before I sold still running and in pretty decent shape.

It is a shame......the Nissan Versa could be a really nice vehicle with most emphasis placed on quality control, correcting defects/probems, and good workmanship.

Do all of your maintenance on the LOW end of the mileage requirements, change your automatic transmission fluid every 30K-40K miles and I think your Versa will have a nice long and trouble free life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.