Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
First - I haven't seen any other 2012+ Versa with single DIN radios installed....so I am assuming I am the first since there isn't even a radio install kit for it. Also, here is my DIY speaker installation.

Just for notes - I went through a HUGE ordeal with Scosche (in one of my threads) about how the radio installation kit said it fit 2012 Versa and it was guaranteed....when in fact it did not fit and they admitted that it had never even been tested on the sedan! What a joke! So, I got stuck with a kit for the 07-12 hatchback and I decided to make the POS work in my car. By no means is this an install that I am proud of......especially since I have installed many stereos in various cars. But, it will have to do until an actual kit comes out that is NOT crappy Scosche. This also is why this DIY isn't all that great......but good for people that need an aftermarket stereo in it.

Obviously here is the factory radio. I use a thin flathead screwdriver covered in a shop towel to insert between the trim ring on the dash. Then I gently shove it in and begin popping off the trim piece. (The seam is on top - you cant see it in the picture)

Here is the trim piece removed. There are now four screws you need to remove to take out the stereo.

Here is what you have when the radio is removed.

Here you can see why the previous kits do not work with the current Versa sedans. The large plastic piece on the left doesn't allow the installation kit to sit flush.

Working on all the cars....lol

Time to do some cutting so the kit can slide past the plastic piece that prevents it from sitting flush

Almost fits

Also had to wallow out the hole in the kit because Scosche obviously uses cheap Chinese manufacturing.

Had to get my crappiest soldering iron out so I could get better contour the shapes, cut, and create a hole for the other side.

Looks AWFUL but it works.

Had to create this hole on the passenger side of the kit so it would sit flush

After this I tried doing a mock fitting and see if it would work. The problem is that that the sides on the top of the kit were too narrow for the stereo I was putting in. Therefore it wouldn't go in far enough into the dash. So, got the Dremel back out and cut off the tops. It would be better to cut even more off but I was running out of daylight and starting to get cold so this worked.

Because there are only 2 tiny screws that hold the walls of the kit to the pocket I decided to super glue it to make it one piece and placed painters tape to keep pressure on the super glue while drying.

It fits! MIRACLE! However, it is flimsy and definitely not super secure. All the wires are soldered and ready to go for the stereo.

FINALLY! After almost 4 months of having the wrong kit, dealing with crappy Scosche, and the crappy factory stereo I managed to get it all together to work! Tape will come off tomorrow. That is dust on the stereo not scratches. Also, hard to see in the pics but the blue stereo def brightens up the dash at night. Looks cool! Plus I have a pocket that I can put stuff in! YES!

I know, the kit doesn't look perfect but considering it wasn't made for my car and I got it to work I think it came out great! Again, this is simply my A-B car hence the cheap Insignia stereo. Next up will be installing the two speakers I have lying around since I have my speaker adapters. I'll get two more after that and maybe if I can get the funds will be a 10" or 12" sub.

Hope you guys enjoyed this DIY!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Nice writeup! You selling the oem one? If so how much?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice write up. Just the fact that there are no parts for the car and you're modifying other parts to fit is a good start.
Thank You kind sir!

Nice writeup! You selling the oem one? If so how much?
Thanks! I don't plan on selling the OEM one as of yet. I am going to keep it as a backup in case the installation kit breaks or until an installation kit for my vehicle is made.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be replacing the two rear speakers after work today.

Just need to stop by Best Buy to get the quick connects and also get some RTV to seal the speakers to the speaker adapters.

Assuming everything fits and works correctly, I will be ordering some higher quality ones for the front. I still am searching for a cheap sub/amp setup....but probably wont have that until I get my Honda fixed to see how much money that drains me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well came home and got the rear door panel off and as my luck would have it....the quick connect from Best Buy would not fit the OEM plug for the speaker.

So I guess I will go to my local audio shop and see if they have any. If not, I will have to cut the factory wires which I really despise doing. Other than that, the speakers and adapters fit great and should not have any clearance issues with the door panel.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had some 6.5" Dynex 2way speakers laying around that are brand new. So thats what is going in the rear. The front will have some slightly better 3 way speakers.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Sounds good, I added rear speakers to my brother's 2013 S sedan(1st project) and it wasn't that bad, next is aftermarket head unit. Hopefully there is wiring harnesses and installation kits available for it soon.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I will be replacing the two rear speakers after work today.

Just need to stop by Best Buy to get the quick connects and also get some RTV to seal the speakers to the speaker adapters.

Assuming everything fits and works correctly, I will be ordering some higher quality ones for the front. I still am searching for a cheap sub/amp setup....but probably wont have that until I get my Honda fixed to see how much money that drains me.
How much bass are you looking for? have you considered the slim sub+amp combo? the ones that slide under your seats,, those arent very expensive and have decent sound from the reviews i've read

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! Always good to get stuff like that accomplished.

As far as the headunit, the wiring harness and antenna adapter were compatible but not the installation kit. You're probably looking at 6-9 months minimum before a kit comes out for it.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Nice! Always good to get stuff like that accomplished.

As far as the headunit, the wiring harness and antenna adapter were compatible but not the installation kit. You're probably looking at 6-9 months minimum before a kit comes out for it.
I understand. The 2nd gen has only been out for a year so I don't mind waiting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much bass are you looking for? have you considered the slim sub+amp combo? the ones that slide under your seats,, those arent very expensive and have decent sound from the reviews i've read

Not much....just something to please the ear. My Honda has a pretty decent setup which sounds great and causes all the mirrors to vibrate so much you cant use them.

I have checked out those before...but for a bit more I could get a low end true subwoofer. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you actually tried it on a 2nd gen sedan?

I have absolutely zero luck with 07+ kits.
Yes, I did try it and it fits. It comes with two sets of brackets. One fits the 07-11 Versa and the other one the 12-14 Versa. You have to remove the Juke tabs. (Check the instructions Metra Online)

The Metra 99-7613 is what you need for your single din unit.

The kit is not needed for double din units.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I did try it and it fits. It comes with two sets of brackets. One fits the 07-11 Versa and the other one the 12-14 Versa. You have to remove the Juke tabs. (Check the instructions Metra Online)

The Metra 99-7613 is what you need for your single din unit.

The kit is not needed for double din units.
Scosche hadn't even tried it on a 2012+ sedan before marketing it as guaranteed to fit. This is why it didn't fit, because Nissan had changed the stereo brackets. As you can see with the kit that said it would fit my car (but never did) I had to cut out that section to get it to clear - the same section that the Metra kit you listed tells you to remove. This was way before there was a kit for my car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Dual brand stereo that I had installed is finally starting to die and I plan on replacing it with a basic/entr y level stereo such as a Wal-Mart Pioneer or Kenwood. At this time, I may go ahead and buy an install kit that is actually made to fit this vehicle.

On a side note, does anyone know of a free picture hosting site where I can reattach or have the moderators/admins reattach the photos in the DIY?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Dual isnt known for their quality, but even Crutchfield sells them. Then again They only last but so long as Ive replaced pioneer, kenwood, alpine, sony, baplunk, etc.

Just upload them to your social media account, right click pick copy pic address and post that in the thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts