Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum on this topic and didn't get much, so my apologies if this has been discussed before. When I bought my 2014 Versa Note the other day, the dealer (5 Star Nissan of Warner Robins, GA) told me that if I do my own oil changes I would void my warranty. I told him that was ridiculous and that I have been an aircraft mechanic for over 20 years, I'm well qualified to change oil. I also pointed out that some people are really picky about what oil goes into their engines (nothing but Royal Purple and K&N filters for my cars). He told me I could bring the oil with me to the stealership and they would use that oil. He said that all oil changes are entered into CarFax and must be done by an ASE certified mechanic.

This is all nonsense to me, I can't remember the last time I actually paid for an oil change. Were you all told the same thing when you bought your vehicles?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think what you need to do is to keep proof (receipts) that you have done the oil changes at the factory recommended intervals.

My dealer did not say anything about requiring oil changes to be done by a dealer. I'd think the fast lube/oil change places would sue Nissan if that were true.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You should report them to the Nissan Corp. They need to be put in their place! Thats utter BS and so shady. I would also try to do your business elsewhere if possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like doing my own oil changes but I don't want the hassle if I have an engine problem. Oil changes aren't too expensive just don't pay for anything thats not in your manual. Be sure to mark your filter to make sure they actually change it. In a way I can't blame them, some home mechanics have really screwed things up and they don't want to cover others mistakes.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Were you all told the same thing when you bought your vehicles?
When I bought my Versa, the salesman actually told me that after the 4 free oil changes were used up, if I chose to do my own oil changes just keep track of it and keep the receipts. So for every oil change I put the receipt in the maintenance booklet that comes with the owners manual and filled out the page with the date and mileage.

You need to leave a bag of flaming crap on your salesman's doorstep.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 they cannot force you to have the dealer change the oil or deny you warranty coverage if you prove you used the correct Nissan oil filter and oil that meets Nissan's qualification.

Frank 2009 Versa S Sedan MT-6

·
Registered
734 Posts
I like doing my own oil changes but I don't want the hassle if I have an engine problem. Oil changes aren't too expensive just don't pay for anything thats not in your manual. Be sure to mark your filter to make sure they actually change it. In a way I can't blame them, some home mechanics have really screwed things up and they don't want to cover others mistakes.
Just had my 2009 engine replaced by the dealership under warranty, and the first thing they asked for when the evaluated the problem were my service records. Since I had all my oil changes done at the dealer, I told the service technician to pull them up on his computer. Case closed. My dealership in N.J. charges $24 to do an oil change. I am not going to nickel and dime myself by going to a cheap lube joint to save $5.00. As for changing the oil myself, its a pain in the rear, and again, your talking about saving $10, and then you have to do a song and dance with the dealership if you need warranty work done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I do my own and it costs me more to do it due to the expensive oil I use. Not interested in a bunch of kids (lube techs) working on my car. If I was guaranteed that an actual tech would do my oil change then I would. If you ever have an issue with warantee contact Nissan directly and the BBB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having worked at a dealership and having owned lots of new cars I learned that you can play lawyer all day but in the end you just have to decide if it's worth it to experience the potential additional hassle and stress. Dealers don't care if you recite some law you read on the internet, they have insurance for liability and real lawyers as well. Dealers know how to play the game and it's their job, for us it's a hobby and hiring a lawyer gets expensive. Besides , it's not worth the wasted time or stress. I always change the oil on my 2004 350Z and I hate working on that car. I admit, it's almost worth the trouble since I get out every last drop of the old oil and I get Mobil 1 when it's on sale.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had my 2009 engine replaced by the dealership under warranty, and the first thing they asked for when the evaluated the problem were my service records. Since I had all my oil changes done at the dealer, I told the service technician to pull them up on his computer. Case closed.
I can't help but to think that if had done your own oil changes and not let the dipsh*ts at the dealership do it you may not have needed your engine replaced. As I said in my original post, I only use the absolute best oil and filters (Royal Purple oil and K&N filters), so I actually pay more to change my own oil. It's not about saving money, it's about taking care of your investment. I KNOW that I'll take better care of my car than the dirtbag mechanic at the dealership who doesn't give a crap about my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Dealers don't care if you recite some law you read on the internet, they have insurance for liability and real lawyers as well. Dealers know how to play the game and it's their job, for us it's a hobby and hiring a lawyer gets expensive.
Thats where having a good lawyer in the family comes in handy :wink My uncle has come through for me a few times now.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't help but to think that if had done your own oil changes and not let the dipsh*ts at the dealership do it you may not have needed your engine replaced. As I said in my original post, I only use the absolute best oil and filters (Royal Purple oil and K&N filters), so I actually pay more to change my own oil. It's not about saving money, it's about taking care of your investment. I KNOW that I'll take better care of my car than the dirtbag mechanic at the dealership who doesn't give a crap about my vehicle.
No amount of oil changes would have saved the engine. It had a piston slap that is a common issue with this engine, and it started at about 5,000 miles. Took it in, and it was documented as a "normal engine noise". Well, at 39,000 miles, the normal engine noise had gotten so loud that it could no longer be ignored, and the engine was replaced. Nobody is questioning your ability to change the oil, but if you have to have warranty work done, its a lot easier to have the documentation at hand at the dealership....gives them a lot less wiggle room. Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have to agree, with the exception of my swap car, I take all my vehicles in for oil changes. They're cheap, easy, and saves me a crapload of hassle. If they do screw something up, it's on them.

you can call them idiots if you want, but if they couldn't change your oil, or were prone to making mistakes and damaging vehicles in the process, they wouldn't be working there long. Profit margins on oil changes are razor thin, that's why they try to sell you everything under the moon when you go in for one.

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
42 Posts
Profit margins on oil changes are razor thin, that's why they try to sell you everything under the moon when you go in for one.[/QUOTE]

When I worked at a dealer I quickly learned the oil change is the most effective way to bring in customers for more expensive and profitable services. Admittedly this was a Porsche-Audi-VW dealer and the Porsche customers knew that complete service records made their cars worth more and easier to sell down the road. Nobody want's a Porsche that was worked on by some home mechanic. If you don't let them sell you un necessary stuff it's not expensive. These are not turbocharged high output racing engines used on a track.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I totally get what you all are saying, but by performing my own oil changes, I have the piece of mind of knowing that the oil change was done correctly. Have you ever tried to take your oil filter off after a dealer oil change? These are the people that supposedly "know what they're doing".

I have sent an e-mail to NISSAN regarding the issue, and I'll have to wait to see their response before I decide whether or not the dealer will be changing the oil.

Thank you all for your responses. :thumb2:

I'll post Nissan's response here if I ever get one.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
What do you think the dealers do? Put gravel in your crank case? Mark your filter with a Sharpie marker or scratch the paint on it so you can make sure they actually changed the filter. It's an oil change, not a rebuild. Not all dealers are bad but some are. I had my 350z belts replaced at a Nissan dealer and they did they do a good job at a reasonable price. They did a "Free" inspection on the whole car and I was prepared for a load of B.S. but the service writer said "Your car is in great shape, the rear brakes will need to be replaced within a year but they are fine for now. Please keep us in mind when the time comes". True story, I swear. They didn't even try to scam me. Sure enough, my rear brakes are starting to hit the squeel indicators. Just like he said. I had a great exerience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One other thing to note, if you use the racing Royal Purple (unless things have changed since I last looked at the bottle) it is not API certified and would give them an excuse to dishonor your warranty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you think the dealers do? Put gravel in your crank case? Mark your filter with a Sharpie marker or scratch the paint on it so you can make sure they actually changed the filter. It's an oil change, not a rebuild.
LOL....have another sip of the dealership Koolaid. :wink It's just an oil change, but you can still do irreparable damage if you don't pay attention to detail, which is exactly what happens at the dealership. Go "behind the scenes" and observe these dealership mechanics once in a while, your faith will be tested.

The dealership is a business and is only concerned about taking your money (understandably so), not giving your car the best care possible. All I'm saying is that I baby my vehicles, and I shouldn't be penalized for doing so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts